DIAD Tips and Tricks for a New Driver?

AlliSeeisBrown

Just started driving this morning and I'm getting a little hung up on the DIAD V. My OCS says he's going to be with me until the end of the day Thursday and he's cool and all, but very unhelpful when it comes to this part, the DIAD. He talks on his phone a lot to say the least. So, if anyone has any helpful tips as to when and how to record to save time throughout the day, it would be much appreciated. I'm quick to learn on technology, but I just want to make the most out of my days so I can get on and off the route a little quicker each day.

Thanks

AlliSeeisBrown

My building has a full rack of DIAD IV charging up for Peak. They are not going to the regular route drivers.
That is what I was afraid of happening haha. But, I came in one day and saw a stack of boxes outside the PCM door labeled PEAK DIADS. So I was hoping they brought in some V's? One could hope.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
That is what I was afraid of happening haha. But, I came in one day and saw a stack of boxes outside the PCM door labeled PEAK DIADS. So I was hoping they brought in some V's? One could hope.
We had those same boxes last year. They were all filled with DIAD IVs. This year thankfully we got a ton of new 5s in. So all the drivers have brand new DIAD V's and the helpers have the older DIAD V's. Love it!

PT Car Washer

Well you can always hope. Actually the DIAD IV are not that bad other then the shift key. At least you will not have to unlearn a lot of things from the V as you are so new. You can still transfer stops from the IV to the V just a bit awkward.

AlliSeeisBrown

We had those same boxes last year. They were all filled with DIAD IVs. This year thankfully we got a ton of new 5s in. So all the drivers have brand new DIAD V's and the helpers have the older DIAD V's. Love it!

Well you can always hope. Actually the DIAD IV are not that bad other then the shift key. At least you will not have to unlearn a lot of things from the V as you are so new. You can still transfer stops from the IV to the V just a bit awkward.

Somewhat hoping that being permanent PT now, as well as becoming an RTD, AND my hubs tendency of putting RTD's that are also permanent PT on route throughout the entire year, they'll hook me up with a V. All I can say to that is that I had a V today. But obviously that can quickly change.

PT Car Washer

Somewhat hoping that being permanent PT now, as well as becoming an RTD, AND my hubs tendency of putting RTD's that are also permanent PT on route throughout the entire year, they'll hook me up with a V. All I can say to that is that I had a V today. But obviously that can quickly change.
I would worry more about driving a package car this Peak and not a rental truck. I know rentals have great heat and a radio but they are terrible to deliver out of unless you have all bulk stops.

AlliSeeisBrown

I would worry more about driving a package car this Peak and not a rental truck. I know rentals have great heat and a radio but they are terrible to deliver out of unless you have all bulk stops.
That was my first worry. But, my OCS said I'll be in a PC every day. They're saving the budget and penske trucks for the street seasonals. Luckily, they had a PC on extra hand for me. Not sure of what it's called but its the smallest one with the sliding rear door. Not the van.

barnyard

KTM rider
Get used to using the keypad even for DRing. Eventually, you will be able to do it without looking, with gloves on. Touchscreen does not work with gloves on, keypad does.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

During our pre-Peak meeting they told us that we should have more than enough package cars for every driver. We will still have a few rentals that will be used primarily for making sweeps of bulk pickup stops.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Get used to using the keypad even for DRing. Eventually, you will be able to do it without looking, with gloves on. Touchscreen does not work with gloves on, keypad does.
Yesterday I dropped my board and half the screen turned white. I was blind scanning and dr'ing using the touch screen just from memory for a couple hours. It's amazing what the brain can retain.