Diad training

bad company

semi-pro
On walking five feet every second, I was told by my sup on a safety ORO, that I was not walking with a sense of urgency, that i need to walk five feet every sec and he wrote it up has a unsafe practice. LOL

That's easy... You walk as fast as you safely can. Every person will have a different pace. Time studies are based on averages anyway.

If they try to walk on your heels in order to make you feel uncomfortable, thus you walk faster to maintain a distance, you should either

A: pretend you're looking at your DIAD, stop abruptly, turn around, and "accidently" whack the sup in the face with the DIAD
B: wait until you're in an area with witnesses or delivering to a blood-sucking lawyers office, and trip and fall as a direct result of the supervisor walking on your heels. demand to see a doctor, and file an injury report. get them where it hurts them the most :greedy:

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Before you scan the barcade on the info notice, shift to override and that will keep the scan on the same line as the pkg. You wont have to void out the blank space.

Why don't you just enter the disposition of the package first, then scan the delivery notice and stop complete. This is the simplest way!!

Blondie1964

So that mgmt can have the "right" numbers, of course.:wink2:[/QUOTE
I want to leard how to use the diad board cause my driver usually scans all the packages for me , then i put them on the hand truck and go walking with my stuff and diad board what are the steps for entering a package after you drop it off ?
thankx in advance

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
My helper did not receive diad training. Management told him, "the driver will go over the diad with you." Instead, they spent two hours walking around the parking lot, with management holding stopwatches on them. The helpers were told, "We expect you to walk 5 feet per second, throughout the day. No less." As I wiped away the tears of laughter, I told my helper to forget that nonsense and just walk as he usually does. They were actually outside in the parking lot timing these poor helpers with stopwatches trying to get them to walk at a pace of 5 feet per second!
OMG this almost sounds like a dream I had.The dream is I was out on route and management came into the bathroom with a stop watch told me I had only 10 secs to take a number 2:childish:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So that mgmt can have the "right" numbers, of course.:wink2:[/QUOTE
I want to leard how to use the diad board cause my driver usually scans all the packages for me , then i put them on the hand truck and go walking with my stuff and diad board what are the steps for entering a package after you drop it off ?
thankx in advance

Why in the world would the driver scan all of the packages, have you load them on a cart and then deliver them? Does he then complete the stops when you get back to the PC or does he stop complete them as he hands them to you? If he is prerecording why does he have you carry the DIAD? Do you guys have 2 DIADs? What is he doing while you are out delivering?

Using DIAD III is easy, especially for residential stops. You simply scan the package (and then wait for the DIAD to catch up--DIAD III is soooo slow) hit big arrow down and then complete the stop (driver release--select release location). It is a bit more complicated for commercial stops but nothing you can't handle. You would scan the package, hit big arrow down, and then hit signature and enter, get the signature, then hit signature, spell out the person's last name, hit enter and then select delivery location. If the delivery location has a suite number or is an apt you would enter those before hitting big arrow down. CODs would go in the driver's board. There are also multiple left at's when you would leave 2 or more stops at one stop but this is uncommon and your driver can walk you through that.

Brownnblue

why in the world woundnt the management of UPS give drivers helpers training in using the DIAD, instead we fumble around with this thing. I was give in a 2 min crash course by the driver.

Because UPS training in general is embarrassingly poor. I can do a much better job training my helper on the DIAD than management, period.

ideliver2u67

20 Down
The nice thing with using the helper board is management has no idea how many stops you have left. They have access to the information in the main diad, but not the helpers. I use my helpers board for al least 40- 60 stops. When only 31 is required. I have not been asked to help anyone around me yet.

Shortimer

We were told to put minimum of 31 stops in helper board, helper had no training on DIAD & I refuse to do the training. They will have to live with paid over.... Big deal, I sometimes am told I can only have helper 1.5 - 2.5 hrs anyway.... There is no logic from mgmt on this policy.......

ziggy

I received no training, but I've figured out how to at least scan packages and complete the stop, and also get a signature. I also run my ass off when delivering the packages.

My driver has gotten back to the station earlier than he was supposed to according to the numbers every day that I have helped him. Also, the supervisor even gave me an "atta boy" when I picked up my paycheck. Lets just say I was shocked when that happened.

PrettyUPSer

I should definitely give a shout out to the first driver that I ever helped for (Jude in PA). Thank god you showed me how to use the DIAD. I know that there are a million reasons for not teaching someone how to use the board (not enough time, the helper is too stupid, new helper every day, etc.) but in my case, it really has proved beneficial.

Now, after I get done loading my trucks, the drivers come in to work and fight over who's helper I get to be! At least I get used for the downtown routes and the mall since I know the board.... residential stops are BORING and it really sucks when you get stuck with a driver that can't seem to get their lazy ass out of the driver's seat for even just ONE stop. I definitely prefer taking my cart and delivering a building with multiple floors and pick-ups BY MYSELF!

evilleace

Alright have another DIAD question I am jumping again this yr and need to know how to do a multiple left at, such as a highrise apartment building, and some of the people are not home and I need to leave at least 2-3 at the office thanks guys.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Alright have another DIAD question I am jumping again this yr and need to know how to do a multiple left at, such as a highrise apartment building, and some of the people are not home and I need to leave at least 2-3 at the office thanks guys.

This answer assumes that you are making an attempt at each apartment, scanning each pkg, sheeting as NI, scanning an info notice and completing stop. Resheet the send agains and prerecord each stop. Hit prerecord, dup res each pkg, signature, clarify, complete stop, left at location.

evilleace

What if an attempt is not made at each apt first at this building you call on a phone and if no one is home you take them directly to the office and leave them I can get them prerecorded but after that I am lost.

DS

Fenderbender
Why don't you just enter the disposition of the package first, then scan the delivery notice and stop complete. This is the simplest way!!
Or scan the info notice first,on the way to the stop,for sig req pkgs where there are no sign of life.
Ring the doorbell while filling it out,and if they are home great,if not,zip...yer gone

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What if an attempt is not made at each apt first at this building you call on a phone and if no one is home you take them directly to the office and leave them I can get them prerecorded but after that I am lost.

If no attempt is made at each apartment you would prerecord all of the pkgs. Hit prerecord again, hit LA RES for the first one and DUP RES for the rest, signature, clarify, stop complete, left at location.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If no attempt is made at each apartment you would prerecord all of the pkgs. Hit prerecord again, hit LA RES for the first one and DUP RES for the rest, signature, clarify, stop complete, left at location.

We debated this a while back in another thread. I still see no reason to do the NI and then resheet. The method should be the same for both. But that's just me.