Diad training

evilleace

Alright thanks for the help upstate

But when I hit LA RES it says no packages selected how do I select the package then?

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Alright thanks for the help upstate

But when I hit LA RES it says no packages selected how do I select the package then?

Once you have all of the packages prerecorded you would hit prerecord---this brings them on to the screen. You would mark each pkg and then set the board up for a signature.

evilleace

Yes it worked today but I had a different board the one I was using had a few problems. But thanks again for the advice it really helped alot.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This answer assumes that you are making an attempt at each apartment, scanning each pkg, sheeting as NI, scanning an info notice and completing stop. Resheet the send agains and prerecord each stop. Hit prerecord, dup res each pkg, signature, clarify, complete stop, left at location.

If no attempt is made at each apartment you would prerecord all of the pkgs. Hit prerecord again, hit LA RES for the first one and DUP RES for the rest, signature, clarify, stop complete, left at location.

We debated this a while back in another thread. I still see no reason to do the NI and then resheet. The method should be the same for both. But that's just me.
Me too! I don't know where Upstate learned this method, but it's redundant.

evileace, all you have to do is this. Go to the apt, if person isn't home scan the delivery notice after you have sheeted the pkg, pre-record that stop, do the same until you have attempted all of the stops in the complex, go to office and bring the stops up in pre-record, highlight each stop in pre-record and tag it as LA RES, hit signature enter and have the office sign, stop complete. It may help if you write (leasing/rental office) on the delivery notice, so they don't think you brought it back to YOUR office.

If you are calling customer's as an attempted delivery, this is improper procedure. Customer's expect us to knock on the door. What if the customer is in the shower, or otherwise indisposed? By doing this you are cheating the customer out of the SERVICE we provide, and yourself out of money from the time spent doing the job PROPERLY.

Upstate has his own rule book, so be careful following anything he says. If he likes a customer, or if they have a "hot" girlfriend, he'll go out of his way, but God forbid he dislike someone, or you're ugly. Just trying to help you out, brotha.

evilleace

Thanks Steve just working like I am told. The building has a phone in the lobby the rest of the building is behind a locked door you call the apt # on a phone if they are home then you get buzzed up if they are not there then the package gets left in the mailroom beside the office where the customer picks it up with their mail. Just doing like I have been told. But thanks for the heads up.

At all other apt complexes I attempt at each apt and sheet as NI before taking to the office.

BrownArmy

At all other apt complexes I attempt at each apt and sheet as NI before taking to the office.

If you know you can eventually leave packages at an office, I wouldn't bother with sheeting the no-answers NI1.

Deliver what you can deliver, and then sheet the others as LA/RES...location = Leasing office (or whatever).

Like Upstate says, work smarter, not harder...

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
We debated this a while back in another thread. I still see no reason to do the NI and then resheet. The method should be the same for both. But that's just me.

I agree, no reason to stop complete and resheet. Use left at resi for each stop. then sig.

over9five

Staff member
I don't believe a delivery notice needs to be scanned when the package will be indirected. The board doesn't ask for it.

True, BUT.... A stupid customer who doesn't have the tracking number and calls with the info number will get zero information from the call center. Better to scan it so the call center can tell them where the package was left (even tho you wrote that on the del notice!)

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Thanks Steve just working like I am told. The building has a phone in the lobby the rest of the building is behind a locked door you call the apt # on a phone if they are home then you get buzzed up if they are not there then the package gets left in the mailroom beside the office where the customer picks it up with their mail. Just doing like I have been told. But thanks for the heads up.

Why sheet as NI1? Just scan the pkg, scan the delivery notice and pre-record. When you get to the leasing/mgmt office go back into pre-record and hit left at for all the stops and then stop complete. Sheeting as not in is not required and just confuses the customer when they track the pkg online.

I don't believe a delivery notice needs to be scanned when the package will be indirected. The board doesn't ask for it.
My supe asked that I leave one to CYA. When the customer goes to UPS.com they will see that the pkg was left at, and where.

If you know you can eventually leave packages at an office, I wouldn't bother with sheeting the no-answers NI1.

Deliver what you can deliver, and then sheet the others as LA/RES...location = Leasing office (or whatever).

Like Upstate says, work smarter, not harder...
But doesn't always do.

I agree, no reason to stop complete and resheet. Use left at resi for each stop. then sig.
+1

Oh, and congrats to Upstate for breaking out his red pen, yet again. I'm sorry that I don't always agree with you, SIR.

touchytouchy.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was told to put a minimum of 36 stops in my DIAD III helper board. My response was "I work in the real world and I have more important things to worry about than helping some pinhead in a cubicle to meet his quota." The discussion ended at that point.

I will use the DIAD III as a spare board, or for occasions when I can send my helper to wait for a signature while I am sorting. 99% of my residentials are DR's that are 30 feet from the curb or less. It is a complete waste of time for me to give my helper a DIAD or try to teach him how to use it. Our DIAD III's are pathetically slow, and they dont always have the correct loop detail which means you have to "override" every stop. And any stop that is done with the helper board will, after 5 minutes or so, cause an "update alert" to pop up on my DIAD IV telling me that a package in the manifest has already been delivered. This alert will interrupt whatever I am in the middle of and requires additional keystrokes for me to bypass it.

My route went from 90 to almost 200 stops, and I am working 12 hrs a day. I am fine with that, and I am perfectly willing and happy to bust my ass and be productive and efficient for 12 hours...but I could care less about how many stops I put in the helper board. I focus on the stuff that actually matters, like getting the packages delivered.

Hello all,

I am anxious to find some tutorials on the DIAD 3. I have tried my account on UPSers.com but the DIAD documentation there is only about the history, cleaning dos, new testing of DIAD 5.

I want to read up on some tuts tonight so I can manage it tomorrow. I was trained Tuesday, started yesterday without even a printout of DIAD documentation. My first driver was so frenzied and hurried and the crash course he gave me was less than helpful, and I found myself running to every stop even though the training said to never run. In the haste, either him or I lost a package, but I was called on it, so it was a pretty bad day. Today was better, another driver was much more patient and allowed me some pointers, and easy deliveries with prerecorded stops, but I'm still cannot manage the DIAD well enough on my own. I know we helpers are only temps, but some DIAD training would have greatly reduced the headache I seem to be to my drivers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I see by your screen name that are you are from NYC so I am going to assume that you helping to deliver a commercial route. Your driver will download EDD (all of the tracking numbers broken down by address) in to both DIADs before he leaves the center. When he asks you to deliver a stop, you simply scan the first package for that stop and hit big arrow down. If that is the only package for the stop you will set up the board for a signature by hitting the signature button and then enter. The customer will sign, you ask for their last name and then you clarify the signature by spelling out their last name. You will then hit stop complete and choose a delivery location. Now, if you are in an office building, you may need to enter a suite number in the address field. You will do this after you scan the package but before you hit big arrow down.

You will find that after you have delivered a few stops that the DIAD is not that hard to master. COD deliveries should be in the drivers DIAD only.

If you are delivering residential stops, the process is much simpler. Select the package, scan, big arrow down, driver release (select appropriate location), stop complete. You can do these as you are walking to the stop. (You are right about not running but you need to walk at a brisk pace)

Please feel free to ask any more questions that you may have. Dave.

Ever been to or heard of Plattsburgh, NY?

Hello Dave and thank you very much for responding,

From what I have done, the routes of my center are all in Manhattan, but they are a mix of commercial and residential drops. The drivers may download a manifest into their DIADS, but mine has been blank from what I have seen, I have to scan in every single package I am given, no matter if its to the same address. I set up prerecorded lists on the street, or rather he does it on my device and I just cycle through them asking for signatures as I go. I have had to run back to them every time I have encountered something other than a successful signature, like what I do in case someone gives me a package or I get stuck on a screen. For example I am not sure how to tie many packages under 1 signature? I don't even know how to log in or out, they do it for me for the sake of time I guess.

I am not certain what Driver release is?

Also to be sure, stop complete is the big check button correct?

Thanks again for the tips, I'm trying to go over the steps in my head, but I think tomorrow I will get there a bit early and ask for a printout or something, if I get called in anyway.

I have not been to Plattsburgh, the farthest upstate I have been to is Pawling.

Thanks again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You do not need a printout. Your driver needs to make sure he downloads EDD in to your DIAD before he leaves the center each morning. This will make it much easier for you (and for him) to be a more efffective helper. The way he has you doing it now is actually making more work for him than if he had downloaded EDD in to the DIAD.

Driver release is what you do at a residential address when you leave the pkg without getting a signature.

Stop complete is the big check button.

Downstate for us is Albany.