DIAD V camera.

CHALLY9TX

Anyone out there testing the camera yet? Or have seen it being demonstrated? Or any news on DIAD 6 development?

Sent using BrownCafe App

JL 0513

The camera doesn't even seem accessible. I forget it even has one.

DIAD 6? That'll be a while. We just got the 5's last year and they're $6,800 each.

CHALLY9TX

Wow barely last year, crazy. I know that cameras haven't been activated but I was wondering if they're being tested out somewhere. I realize diad 6 won't be out for awhile but Im guessing its in development now. Crazy how the 5 cost that much when most smart phones are more capable and cost less to make.

Sent using BrownCafe App

The Driver

I drive.
R & D and manufacturer tooling is expensive. It's not like they sell millions of them like other everyday products.

Exactly. It's an economies of scale issue. Plus these things are built to last as far as I can tell. I drop mine at least once a day in a brutal-looking way and the thing keeps on working. It's pretty amazing technology, actually.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
R & D and manufacturer tooling is expensive. It's not like they sell millions of them like other everyday products.

If it was so much, UPS would have dropped the hammer on them a long time ago. They barely want to pay for our health insurance as time passes, do you really think they would pay so much for a simple device like a diad? I understand the conveyor rollers and belts being super expensive, but not a trivial device such as a diad that just logs data. Just because they say it's that much doesnt mean it's that much.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The Diad V is NOT $6800. It is an off the shelf Honeywell unit which UPS buys, slaps its logo and software on, and there you go.

About 2 months after the roll out in my center, I lost one. While it was missing I was told that if I didn't find it I would be on the hook for $2400. Still not cheap, but certainly not 7 grand.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Exactly. It's an economies of scale issue. Plus these things are built to last as far as I can tell. I drop mine at least once a day in a brutal-looking way and the thing keeps on working. It's pretty amazing technology, actually.

Really? We are having problems like crazy from the being dropped. The buttons stop working and they freeze up. You can here pieces jiggling around in there.

Sent using BrownCafe App

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
That's what I miss about the mute feature of the Diad 4, if it was too loud, throw it against the floor of the truck and it would sound half the time, the harder you threw it, the better the volume change was.

Foamer Pyle

I am surprised that they cost that much. What really got me was the PCM we had about not leaving our diads in the truck while on lunch hour. It seems management is concerned about the diads being exposed to excessive heat, and being damaged from it. I find this insulting, as they clearly do not care about humans being exposed to excessive heat. I make sure my Diad stays in the car every time now.

Sent using BrownCafe App