Diad V

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used to run both diads but for the past 5 years, or so , I started taking the time the 1st few days w/a new helper to get them acclimated to the diad. It is well worth the stop and go the 1st couple of days to then be able to hand them any package and just say 'go'... Our center changes the # of stops they like in the helper diad from year to year and this year it's 40. Since I have been having my helpers run their own we have been about 50/50 with the stops and it works great.

This is the third year I have had the same helper and he is to the point where he can deliver a medical office building with multiple offices all by himself. Huge timesaver.

NHDRVR

This is the third year I have had the same helper and he is to the point where he can deliver a medical office building with multiple offices all by himself. Huge timesaver.

I have never had the same helper 2 years in a row. For you, it's almost like having another driver on car w/you. The smoother they are w/how you do things the better.
My helper is great, is getting the diad, and has a great grasp of what I need to do. Then I hear some horror stories about some of the other driver helpers and I say a quick word of thanks...

DiadDude

Wrong! There used to be a cellular receiver in the trucks that when you put the Diad III in the carrier it would make contact with and would get messages that way. We no longer have those so no capabilities to send or receive messages. Diad III does not have built in cellular capabilities.

DIAD 2 had no internal radio and required the DVA for communication.

DIAD III does, in fact, have a built in radio and never required the DVA unless its internal radio was broken. DIAD III could then switch over and use the DVA.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My Center team only sends messages to the driver's DIAD 4, they don't send them to the Helper's DIAD 3, which will send and recieve messages.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
DIAD 2 had no internal radio and required the DVA for communication.

DIAD III does, in fact, have a built in radio and never required the DVA unless its internal radio was broken. DIAD III could then switch over and use the DVA.

Well, perhaps I am wrong about the rest of the world. Here in Duda we have no communications with the Diad III. And I don't mind at all!!

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Wonder what they would say if i do whole day in III? My helper only makes the delivery. Mainly RD route. May have 25 sigs all day. Thats on a busy day.

UPSGUY72

I have never had the same helper 2 years in a row. For you, it's almost like having another driver on car w/you. The smoother they are w/how you do things the better.
My helper is great, is getting the diad, and has a great grasp of what I need to do. Then I hear some horror stories about some of the other driver helpers and I say a quick word of thanks...

I don't let my helper touch my my or his DIAD he can't listen to direction when I tell him what house and where to deliver the packages. So I put 30 stops into his DIAD and in the back it goes. I run a daily babysitting business for UPS. I should get his pay and mine.

bumped

I don't let my helper touch my my or his DIAD he can't listen to direction when I tell him what house and where to deliver the packages. So I put 30 stops into his DIAD and in the back it goes. I run a daily babysitting business for UPS. I should get his pay and mine.

I do the same exact thing. When push comes to shove both Diads will be my problem if there is a problem.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If someone from IE or corporate ever watched how I work with a helper, they would throw a big time screaming hissy fit.

I run both DIADS myself. I will often scan and stop complete an entire shelf of DR's while I am parked several blocks away from where they are actually being delivered, with the GPS unit in the DIAD IV screeching and beeping alerts at me the entire time. When delivering in a tight resi neighborhood, I will drive down the block at low speed with packages on the floor of the cab or in my helpers lap. The pants that were provided to my helper dont fit her, so she wears black jeans instead. Our DIAD III is a slow and worthless POS, so I only use it as a last resort if my helper is getting a signature with the IV, and I make absolutely no effort whatsoever to comply with the stupid "36 stops in the helper board" quota. I will have her pull the DIAD IV out and read out my next stops to me.... or even scan the package in her lap while the car is moving...Telematics be damned.

On the flip side to all of that, I demand 100% seatbelt and handrail use from my helpers. I chew them out if I see them running or forgetting to use a rail when walking up a customers steps. And I insist that they use the handtruck for anything over 40 lbs. I must be doing something right because in 23 years I have never once had a helper get injured.

AKCoverMan

Wrong! There used to be a cellular receiver in the trucks that when you put the Diad III in the carrier it would make contact with and would get messages that way. We no longer have those so no capabilities to send or receive messages. Diad III does not have built in cellular capabilities.

Well, for Peak Route I am doing a ruralish portion of Wasilla.. out of a UHaul cargo van with no shelves. Forget about your 8 second selection time!

Anyway the Uhaul dosent have and never did have anything to help my Peak Season Barely Hangin On By A Thread DIAD III send or recieve ODS messages but it does; although admittadly only sometimes. It seems to have a very limited range and often I get messages only as I get closer to downtown Wasilla.

browniehound

DIAD III will recieve ODS messages if the "D" for driver is selected in the "verify" screen. If "H" for helper is selected in the "verify" screen then it will NOT recieve ODS messages.

Super64

My helper could scan & deliver on day one within 20 minutes of showing him how to use it and the basic features on it. While I know there are some helpers out there that are for all intensive purposes completely useless, I think some of you are being a little hard on the helpers. Keep the valuable ones, and RTS the rest.