Did my Package Handler interview today. When do you hear back?

sorryJack

Hey everyone. New here.

It was on Zoom. There were about 10 people. They went over the general info and then split us up in to groups and held 1 on 1 interviews. Mine lasted pretty much under 5 minutes. I've got a feeling it didn't go so well. At the end they said they would contact their top candidates.

On ups.managehr.com, my application status was set to Inactive but the position changed from "Package Handler" to Unloader and the shift I chose. Does it being set to Inactive mean I was rejected?

Anyone else go through the recent process?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Can you fog a mirror?
If so you have nothing to worry about so don’t come back in 3 days and want to know when they are going to call

they’ll call when they call

myback

Hey everyone. New here.

It was on Zoom. There were about 10 people. They went over the general info and then split us up in to groups and held 1 on 1 interviews. Mine lasted pretty much under 5 minutes. I've got a feeling it didn't go so well. At the end they said they would contact their top candidates.

On ups.managehr.com, my application status was set to Inactive but the position changed from "Package Handler" to Unloader and the shift I chose. Does it being set to Inactive mean I was rejected?

You’re hired

JJinVA

Hey everyone. New here.

Sounds to me like you already got a promotion. Package Handler to Unload. Unload is no brainer stuff. You pick up boxes, put them on the conveyor/rollers and thats it. Package Handler youd have to think alot, learn the shelves, then theyll stretch you thin having you load 5-7 trucks since we're approaching actual peak. Now is not the time of year you want to be a Package Handler. Unload is tough work, great exercise, but its low stress in comparison.

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist
Hey everyone. New here.

Did you fill out direct deposit and all that stuff in your application?

Sounds to me like you already got a promotion. Package Handler to Unload. Unload is no brainer stuff. You pick up boxes, put them on the conveyor/rollers and thats it. Package Handler youd have to think alot, learn the shelves, then theyll stretch you thin having you load 5-7 trucks since we're approaching actual peak. Now is not the time of year you want to be a Package Handler. Unload is tough work, great exercise, but its low stress in comparison.
Comparing a package handler to an unloader is like comparing a 22.4 to an RCPD.

JJinVA

Comparing a package handler to an unloader is like comparing a 22.4 to an RCPD.

The only thing I didnt like about unload was the hours. Other than that, it was a good workout everyday. But the way Ive seen management do the loaders, Im glad they never had me do that. I'd be sore occasionally after unloading what felt like 10000 mattresses but still not constantly being yelled at nonstop about stacking out, misloads, scan percentages etc

The only thing I didnt like about unload was the hours. Other than that, it was a good workout everyday. But the way Ive seen management do the loaders, Im glad they never had me do that. I'd be sore occasionally after unloading what felt like 10000 mattresses but still not constantly being yelled at nonstop about stacking out, misloads, scan percentages etc
Unload sets the pace for the whole building. I would much rather be on top doing the pounding than the one getting pounded. I speak from much experience at both ends.

Ackerlin

Hey everyone. New here.

Why you say this, my 77 year old grandmother was just hired for preload (for the benefits in 6 months) to get entire mouth of tooth implants) they are literally hiring anything that breathes right now.

Why you say this, my 77 year old grandmother was just hired for preload (for the benefits in 6 months) to get entire mouth of tooth implants) they are literally hiring anything that breathes right now.
Most likely she will out work most of the younger boys and girls being hired today. Not that I blame the younger people. They are smart enough to know when they are being taken advantage of. Imagine making $14.hr working next to someone making $38/hr and paying Union dues for the right. I guess they didn't vote.

sorryJack

I hope so. I've got no previous experience and haven't been employed before.

This was my first job interview. Maybe that's why.

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist
I hope so. I've got no previous experience and haven't been employed before.

This was my first job interview. Maybe that's why.
You will be fine. Is it a big city where you applied? They will probably conduct another interview and they will unlock your application again and you will need to fill out your bank info for direct deposit, agree to background check, etc. Give it some time. I just looked at mine and I filled mine out August 6th of last year. I started work October 29th and that was with the supervisor texting me every day saying she was working on it. It all falls on HR and them getting back to you. I had very good ins at the center I work at and still took them forever to call back. Just wait and you will be fine. Good gig for a young kid who is not afraid to work. Unload is a piece of cake, just very boring.

Drink Craft Beer

"Oh no, sorry..... that's considered cosmetic surgery, we don't cover that. Have a nice day"

Wend1g0

Ah hell well I just got hired in the last week of part times before they shift primarily to seasonal hires in preparation for peak. Not reassuring to hear you say this as the reality for me being a loader haha.

JJinVA

Ah hell well I just got hired in the last week of part times before they shift primarily to seasonal hires in preparation for peak. Not reassuring to hear you say this as the reality for me being a loader haha.

It's all good either way. You might have better mgmt there who knows. Here are some pro-tips

-Dont get into the habit of turning around and putting things on the shelf so you can come back to it later. You'll forget our get sidetracked. If you don't have the time to put it on it's correct shelf, put it in the middle of the floor or stack out and get to it when you can/have some down time

-Memorize the shelf locations.

-Before you even step foot in the truck to put it on a shelf, verify the bay number. There's no point in having a well organized truck if 15 of the packages are going to a city that's 50 miles away from that drivers route

-If the box is large (use judgement), put it on the floor under where it would have went on the shelf up top or close to. Will draw you some diagrams once I get out of bed to help

-If youre loading a truck that has multiple large bulk stops everyday, make sure the driver can get to at least one of them to unload it as a group and start making room for the next one. Try to keep things close together and not all over the truck. Won't always be possible but just communicate that with the driver

-Look at your load chart that they give you every morning. Under "bulk stops", if it's bold and in italics, that means they have next day air pieces mixed in also. Put all next day air under the belt and let the driver decide what to do with it unless they communicate otherwise

-Learn to recognize next day air. Usually spa'd to the 1000 shelf but not always. If it has a 1P, Next Day Saver, etc, not important. If it has just a 1, or a 1+ (extremely important to always put 1+ in drivers seat or in the drivers cab on the floor if it's large), then try to separate it from the rest

-Dont cram rolls of carpet against the wall and then bury them with boxes. It may seem unintuitive but it's easier to find a roll of carpet out in the middle of the walkway and the driver won't have to fight it out through a mountain of irregs

If you do these things and do a fairly good job at them chances are your drivers will give you tips during peak season. I know we do anyways. We try to give good loaders an extra $100 a week cash tip during peak. Some give giftcards, others bring them breakfast. Some are stretched like financially so they may just say thanks. Whatever. Still got a good job with outstanding benefits