Did the 97' Strike affect any of you here?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Made me feel good driving around after the strike and everyone giving us the thumbs up and wanting to buy me a cold drink.
Yep, that was about the extent of the gains still around 6 years later.
Now it seems half the posts on here (in UPS Discussions forum) are about all the negative changes after the strike.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I meant UPS management at the time of the strike.

Did you hate driving during the strike?

Having to physically work for a change?
No, I actually enjoyed it, especially running the routes in less time than the normal driver.
But full disclosure, at that time I was 5th in the state in men's Age 40 doubles tennis and worked out 6 times a week at level 9 on the stepper. The physical part of the job was a breeze. Dealing with Union thugs was the worst part.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No, I actually enjoyed it, especially running the routes in less time than the normal driver.
But full disclosure, at that time I was 5th in the state in men's Age 40 doubles tennis and worked out 6 times a week at level 9 on the stepper. The physical part of the job was a breeze. Dealing with Union thugs was the worst part.
So who was your partner? Pete Sampras?

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Yep, that was about the extent of the gains still around 6 years later.
Now it seems half the posts on here (in UPS Discussions forum) are about all the negative changes after the strike.
I am still benefitting from that strike.

So is EVERYBODY in the WESTERN CONFERENCE.

We still have the WCT Pension and not the inferior UPS Pension they were pushing on us.

upschuck

Don't forget you only had a fraction of work that a normal driver would of had.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

This is not like every other job in the country.
You're right. But what makes being a UPSer special?
Having to physically work for a change?
Physical work doesn't make you a superior person. If you gauge someone on the physicality of their work you must view doctors in a very negative light.
We still have the WCT Pension and not the inferior UPS Pension they were pushing on us.
Enjoy it while it lasts.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I had full delivery loads but no pickups.
Delivered it all except when the receiver called me a scab or any lip. Those got Refused-RTS'd.
Who gave you the power to RTS packages with out the receiver telling you?

Imagine if we did that?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Orion is how it affected us all. The company has made sure it never happens again. Hoffa has lost every strength gained by the past contracts. Plus more. With the consession contracts he has given.

For me. I was able to hold my (18 yr old today) for 2 weeks. Wow! Times a flying.

Younger guys -- wise up. Vote
ORION was coming with or without the strike.

A product of technology and UPS control.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just because you are full of it doesn't mean you had a full days work
Yes I did, other than pickups like I said earlier. The loads were left sitting from the preload the day the strike was announced.
I was in operations for 20 years.
I scratched on my initial route in 12 days and usually ran scratch on all the routes I covered except for some of the rural routes.
I was a swing driver for over a year so I was use to running routes blind.
I know all the stuff it takes to be a "good" scratch driver and was recognized for for my smooth delivery methods and memory.
I was also a time study observer and time study coordinator and package coordinator in District and Region IE for 10 years. I knew the 340 methods better than anyone in the Southeast Region. People would call me up and I could tell them the page and section of the 340 Manual for the method they had a question about.
I was also a trainer for DIAD implementation and DIAD deployment coordinator in the District and Region.
I understand and appreciate the concentration and push it takes to be a scratch driver.
In 1997, I was 42 and fit and had all the tools to be successful.

I would not make it 4 hours on the typical route now.
I'm over 60 and weight.

I know things have changed in the last 17 years and so I am hesitant to jump in on package stuff much but in 1997, my knowledge was still current as I was only 3 years removed from everyday involvement.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Union thugs. Lmfao. you are a piece of work. I wish more of those "union thugs" were around today. The union would be way better off. Today more and more union officials are company yes men. Makes me sick.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Who gave you the power to RTS packages with out the receiver telling you?

Imagine if we did that?
I was in management so I asked myself.
And the receivers did tell me although one management person from AT&T chased me down and "received" the packages into his truck. I explained I would not be going back to his dock until after the strike.

And BTW, ever heard of Double Standards?

Also, today I would not do that but in 1997 all management were considered partners in UPS ownership.

Last edited:

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I looked forward to my strike shift in 97. We had some really good strike signs , and we had some really good beer and a hell of a fire pit. I even took on extra shifts and followed scabs delivering our packages with strike signs. One instance that stands out in my memory was was when a friend of mine about 6'6 250 and myself , not as tall, followed a scab into an elevator to a business on the 6th floor. That was a fun elevator ride.......

upschuck

Yes I did, other than pickups like I said earlier. The loads were left sitting from the preload the day the strike was announced.
I was in operations for 20 years.
I scratched on my initial route in 12 days and usually ran scratch on all the routes I covered except for some of the rural routes.
I was a swing driver for over a year so I was use to running routes blind.
I know all the stuff it takes to be a "good" scratch driver and was recognized for for my smooth delivery methods and memory.
I was also a time study observer and time study coordinator and package coordinator in District and Region IE for 10 years. I knew the 340 methods better than anyone in the Southeast Region. People would call me up and I could tell them the page and section of the 340 Manual for the method they had a question about.
I was also a trainer for DIAD implementation and DIAD deployment coordinator in the District and Region.
I understand and appreciate the concentration and push it takes to be a scratch driver.
In 1997, I was 42 and fit and had all the tools to be successful.

I would not make it 4 hours on the typical route now.
I'm over 60 and weight.

I know things have changed in the last 17 years and so I am hesitant to jump in on package stuff much but in 1997, my knowledge was still current as I was only 3 years removed from everyday involvement.
Hit a nerve? :)

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I started in 01, they still talk about the strike in our Hub, but nobody really explained to me what the Strike was about
My take:
- Officially, Ron Carey said it was about more full-time jobs created from part-time jobs.
- Officially, UPS said it was about pressure from UPS to fix the overall UPS Package Driver pension issues associated with Union graft and the spectre of UPS being the lone employer supporting a multi-employer Union pension funds.
- What it really was about was Ron Carey had been screwed over (in his mind) by UPS and specifically the CEO of UPS at the time of the strike. The scuttlebutt was that Carey bragged he was going to make UPS and the CEO pay for screwing him over.

What happened with Ron Carey is that when he was a driver in NYC, he would pull up to the NYC of an apartment building and everyone would come out and get their packages and he would sheet them as separate stops. He did this for many years and had his customers trained to not do this when someone was riding with him. At some point, this savvy "padding" of his allowance was found out and factored into his route's time study and he lost something like 3 hours planned time.