Did the 97' Strike affect any of you here?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'd toy did that here. You probably wouldn't have a car to drive home in.

Their was some crazy guys on the line.
It wasn't bad here with UPSers.
The Teamsters brought in some rebel rouser thugs who raised a lot of hell and cussed and tried to start stuff.
They stuck out like sore thumbs - yellow teeth, long hair and nasty looking. I think most were brought in from the northeast.
Even the striking UPSers didn't like them or stand around them once the PC's or feeders rolled past.

It wasn't bad here with UPSers.
The Teamsters brought in some rebel rouser thugs who raised a lot of hell and cussed and tried to start stuff.
They stuck out like sore thumbs - yellow teeth, long hair and nasty looking. I think most were brought in from the northeast.
Even the striking UPSers didn't like them or stand around them once the PC's or feeders rolled past.
North east Georgia?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I spent the first day on the picket line and quickly realized that $55/week wasn't going to pay the bills so I got a job working construction. I worked 46 of the hardest hours I had worked in a long time and brought home the grand total of $253. When I told my boss how much I would have made at UPS for those same 46 hours he couldn't believe it.

I remember we got one check for $55 and then had to pay union dues for two weeks in a row to get caught up.

The atmosphere in our building changed after the strike. There was no animosity but there was a definite difference in the way mgt and hourlies interacted.

upschuck

We were told that the $55 was tax free, because it was basically a payback of dues that we had already paid. So technically it would have been like 3 hrs of pay after taxes. :)

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Bringing back a lot of memories. Really haven't thought about this for a while.
Certainly changed UPS in many ways and changed my job as well.
Before the strike, I was a Project Manager working on technology projects in the US and around the world.
After the strike, I think maybe 90% of the projects were canceled and/or pushed back.

The year before the strike, I was in the office 12 days in 14 months.
After the strike, I was out of office about 12 days in 14 months.
I hated traveling so that was a positive outcome.