Diesel fuel shortage: Why is no one talking about this?

DriverNerd

I haven't heard about this until your post now. I agree that if this is as serious as it seems we're screwed. How can we be out of diesel fuel if we have plenty of crude to make gasoline? I couldn't find a real answer.

vantexan

I haven't heard about this until your post now. I agree that if this is as serious as it seems we're screwed. How can we be out of diesel fuel if we have plenty of crude to make gasoline? I couldn't find a real answer.
Part of the reason is refining capacity. Try building a new refinery in the U.S. The liberals and their lawyers will come at you with knives out.

vantexan

I have no doubt it's a refinery issue, but how did we all of sudden not have enough capacity to even match how much we use. Surely the oil companies that own the refineries knew about this months ago.
High demand, seasonal closures for cleaning, less oil on the world market, lack of refining capacity all came together at once. Our refineries can only produce so much, the rest is made up by imports. Only there's less available elsewhere so what was available elsewhere went to those markets instead of us. Notice in the article 2 ships got diverted from Europe to our East Coast. That's possible if we pay really high.prices for it. So expect really high prices for awhile. That translates into higher costs for trucking and then for everything we have to buy like groceries. It's not widely reported because Democrats don't need another bad issue before the midterms. Just another thing that people will say if I had known about that I would've voted differently.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Repeal the Jones Act.

LNG could easily be transported from the Gulf of Mexico to New England causing some home heating costs to drop.
No longer would NE have to purchase LNG at international market prices.

Serf

Because it’s not true. And if we still have election integrity, you’re going to witness the largest swing in the mid terms ever. Bigger than Obama’s first term mids.

bbsam

Staff member
I think there’s perspective to be had. That “25 days” is if no more was produced and came online. That’s not likely to happen.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

“The Jones Act requires all cargo transported between U.S. ports be carried on ships that are U.S. flagged and built, and mostly owned and crewed by Americans,” said Captain Adil Ashiq, United States Western region executive for MarineTraffic.
According to MarineTraffic, the 55 Jones Act tankers are being used. One way to add more supply quickly is for the Department of Homeland Security to temporarily waive the act for foreign vessels to move the fuel.

As a result of the small quantity of U.S.-owned and operated tankers available for energy transport, the price to book a Jones Act tanker is about double that of a foreign-flagged tanker. For example, a Jones Act tanker carrying 300,000 barrels of diesel from Houston to Boston costs approximately 16 cents per gallon. If the Jones Act was waived, a foreign flag tanker carrying the same amount of fuel and heading to the identical location is estimated to cost half, 8 cents per gallon. This 8-cent per gallon difference translates into a $1 million savings per tanker. This is one of the reasons why energy traders favor using foreign flag tankers versus Jones Act tankers.

Traders are diverting tankers away from Europe to the U.S. because the price of U.S. diesel is now higher than in Europe so they can make a larger profit.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I think there’s perspective to be had. That “25 days” is if no more was produced and came online. That’s not likely to happen.
Where are you getting that intel or is that what you think?
Either way, it doesn't matter. The leftists/Marxists' plan to destroy America is on-plan and building pressure.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Refinery regs. Easier to shut down old plants. Too much red tape to build more capacity.

bbsam

Staff member
Where are you getting that intel or is that what you think?
Either way, it doesn't matter. The leftists/Marxists' plan to destroy America is on-plan and building pressure.
Ok. You won’t believe any source I give so let’s just use our brains.

If we really were to run out of diesel fuel in this country in 25 days, what would shipping rates today look like? Both UPS and FedEx are looking at down volume this holiday season. Without diesel fuel, that season evaporates.

If we really are going to run out of diesel fuel in 25 days, what happens to the rail industry? Stops dead. Most all transportation does.

Doe where are these CEOs? All in on the conspiracy? I know it doesn’t tie in with your doomsday scenario, but you might just be wrong.

Box Ox

Ok. You won’t believe any source I give so let’s just use our brains.

If we really were to run out of diesel fuel in this country in 25 days, what would shipping rates today look like? Both UPS and FedEx are looking at down volume this holiday season. Without diesel fuel, that season evaporates.

If we really are going to run out of diesel fuel in 25 days, what happens to the rail industry? Stops dead. Most all transportation does.

Doe where are these CEOs? All in on the conspiracy? I know it doesn’t tie in with your doomsday scenario, but you might just be wrong.

The midterm elections are next week. Early voting ongoing. Why would the Democratic House, Senate, President, CEOs or media dare to talk about a potentially disastrous diesel shortage right now?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The midterm elections are next week. Early voting ongoing. Why would the Democratic House, Senate, President, CEOs or media dare to talk about a potentially disastrous diesel shortage right now?
Nor would they talk about the pending railroad strike, since the unions have voted down Biden's fixes.

bbsam

Staff member
Because the potential for disaster is minimal. In fact it’s borderline crazy.

Question to you. Do you see any transportation CEOs terrified of running out of diesel fuel? If so, who? If not, why not?

Also, why would the MAGA crowd be pushing such a narrative? Remember, they’re the ones who insisted Trump would be sworn in for a second term in ‘21.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Question to you. Do you see any transportation CEOs terrified of running out of diesel fuel? If so, who? If not, why not?

That was my question. The fact that no one is really saying anything could either mean the administration is keeping it quiet like everything else (John Kirby said he didn't know and "didn't have the data" when asked) or it could be more Tucker Carlson alarmism.