Difference between pre-load sup and local sort sup?

Ex military

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and just had a question to ask.... I recently applied for a PT pre-load supervisor job and in the middle of the hiring process the HR person told me that another position was coming available soon and would I be interested in that instead? It is a PT local sort supervisor position. I told her that I would because it actually worked well with my school schedule, but I did so without knowing what the difference is between the two. So what exactly is the difference other than the hours?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hi everyone! I am new to this site and just had a question to ask.... I recently applied for a PT pre-load supervisor job and in the middle of the hiring process the HR person told me that another position was coming available soon and would I be interested in that instead? It is a PT local sort supervisor position. I told her that I would because it actually worked well with my school schedule, but I did so without knowing what the difference is between the two. So what exactly is the difference other than the hours?

Take the local sort, a lot less stress and employees don't call in sick or oversleep.
Attention to detail is important in both.
Get your degree is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Ex military

Thank you! I guess I should be thankful that she asked me if I would rather go that route then. Just waiting for my background check to come back and then hopefully they offer me the position. I have made it this far in the process to be turned down now would be a bit frustrating.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Stay away from preload or anything that directly involves dealing with package cars and the gentlemen and ladies that drive them. Your management career will thank you for that later.

She did you a huge favor offering you the sort position.

Ex military

So is the background check a criminal check only or does it involve a credit check as well? I haven't seen anything anywhere that says credit check but wasn't sure.

bsmart

y'all are crazy! Take the preload! Especially if it is a small building. Most of the preloads I been around run at half the pph the reload does and they rarely have attendance issues. Reload is full of underpaid young kids who don't give a crap anymore.
No, the background check doesn't involve a credit check.

barnyard

KTM rider
In my building, the local sort supes appear to be a much more cheerful and friendly bunch. When the numbers are posted up, local sort routinely beats them, I don't know that I have ever seen preload even come close.

In my building, the local sort supes appear to be a much more cheerful and friendly bunch. When the numbers are posted up, local sort routinely beats them, I don't know that I have ever seen preload even come close.
It is easy to throw all the garbage out of your basement, But it is a lot harder to take a big pile of crap and make it fit in your basement

OldManAllowance

Hoaxter...you speak like a typical corp type..taking the easy way out. Take the preload. I have found the better people tend to come for the preload ranks. It takes a better person to make it in package operations. I've worked both sides and have personally seen the end results. Kind of like the Marines!

UPS Preloader

Take the local sort position. Later, if you're interested in moving up in the company move to the pre-Load. Not only does that position offer more visibility, but you'll be learning another aspect of the business.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxter...you speak like a typical corp type..taking the easy way out. Take the preload. I have found the better people tend to come for the preload ranks. It takes a better person to make it in package operations. I've worked both sides and have personally seen the end results. Kind of like the Marines!

I made the assumption this person was not interested in UPS as a career and if you read the last sentence my advice, I advised him to get his degree with the logical extension to go get a job with another company than UPS.
If he decides he wants to make a career at UPS then go to the preload.
Pay is the same.

And yes, I do believe in taking the easy way ... seems incredibly stupid to take the hard way to get to the same destination.

​So, thanks for the compliment. I guess.

PS - Rod is ex-Marine ... I rest my case!

Take the local sort position. Later, if you're interested in moving up in the company move to the pre-Load. Not only does that position offer more visibility, but you'll be learning another aspect of the business.

I guess you are a slacker too but I agree with you.

UPS Preloader

y'all are crazy! Take the preload! Especially if it is a small building. Most of the preloads I been around run at half the pph the reload does and they rarely have attendance issues. Reload is full of underpaid young kids who don't give a crap anymore.
No, the background check doesn't involve a credit check.

Take the job that gets him in the door. If they wanted him on the preload they would not have offered him the local sort. If he said no, he most likely would not have been hired at that point. (IMO)

Ex military

To shed some light here. I am in an MBA program so someday I hope to be one of those corporate people. That is where the real pay is. The original job opening that I applied for was the pre-load supervisor. When she called to set up my second interview with the full time sup. that is when she said that she had the sort sup. position come available. She asked if I wanted to meet with the full time supervisors for both areas and I said yes and I have. She told me that I am still in contention for both, thou I don't know how, but they were going to focus on the sort sup position for me because it worked with my schedule better. I don't know if there were two of us that they liked or what but that is where I am right now. Just waiting for the background check to come back and then... Who the heck knows?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
To shed some light here. I am in an MBA program so someday I hope to be one of those corporate people. That is where the real pay is. The original job opening that I applied for was the pre-load supervisor. When she called to set up my second interview with the full time sup. that is when she said that she had the sort sup. position come available. She asked if I wanted to meet with the full time supervisors for both areas and I said yes and I have. She told me that I am still in contention for both, thou I don't know how, but they were going to focus on the sort sup position for me because it worked with my schedule better. I don't know if there were two of us that they liked or what but that is where I am right now. Just waiting for the background check to come back and then... Who the heck knows?

Good luck either way.

Are you ex-Marine?

UPS Preloader

Ex Military - Here is my final word of advise and it is truly from the heart. I know and have worked with the pre-load sup in your building... Take the local sort position!