Difference between shifts at UPS?

Chifflax

I'm looking to apply at UPS which says its for the day shift between 11:30am and 5:00pm.

But on the same page it says that it's for 3 1/2 - 4 hours and typically between 17 1/2 - 20 hours per week. Am I missing something here? From 11:30a - 5p is 5 1/2 hours. Is this shift different than the others in that I can make a little extra than the other shifts can?

Also what is the difference between shifts? I've read(while searching for an answer to my question) on these forums that the early morning guys get paid $1 more, because it's "skilled" work, does that mean that the rest of the shifts are different in what you do?

Can anyone give me examples of the pros and cons to each different shift at UPS?

Thanks ahead of time, and I'm sorry for wasting anyones time. I really did try to do a search on this subject, but between the 30 second limit between searches and not finding anything, I figured I'd just ask.

PigSkin

Wish I could answer that for you dude. If I know UPS you could probably become a doctor or lawyer before being placed on the day shift. UPS makes everything more difficult than it should be. Like they're important to society or something.

laffter

In my building there is no midnight shift.

Preload works 4:15AM to 9:00AM (8:30 on the low end), and we unload inbound trailers, sort, and load delivery trucks.

Twilight works 4:30PM to ...9 or 10-ish? I'm not entirely sure. They unload inbound trailers (mostly amazon)/delivery trucks, sort, and load outbound trailers.

The primary difference is that if you work preload, you get the chance to load delivery trucks, rather than dealing with trailers.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Your hours will likely not be 11:30AM to 5:00PM -- that's just the general time period the sort is operated from.

I'm not familiar with day sort (few exist), so I'll use Preload for example: the application is one-size-fits-all (all buildings get the same application, the sole difference is that it includes sorts pertinent to that facility) and indicates Preload typically operates from 3:30AM to 9:00AM. In one Preload operation, start time may be 4:10AM-4:20AM, with employees clocking out 3.5-4 hours later, but in another it may be 5:30AM, with employees clocking out 3.5 hours later.

When you interview, you can ask about the actual start/finish times.

The primary difference is that if you work preload, you get the chance to load delivery trucks, rather than dealing with trailers.

But, instead of being able to mindlessly unload a trailer you actually have to put the right packages in the right delivery trucks ( lol, I know ) at a slaves pace.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
1. Most of the time, all shifts hours are mostly the same, you'll be lucky to get 3 1/2 hours everyday and also not getting laid off aka send home due to lack of volume or too many workers, this happens to everybody when they just started since they haven't made union yet and have no union rights to protect them.

2. The difference between preload and the rest of the other shift is that you get a dollar raise for preload, preload is different because you're loading the drivers' package cars so they can go out and make deliveries. For preload, you have to know where in the package car to place certain packages, beside from that, its easy, because the scanners take care of the rest. The rest of the shift, you unload package cars, trailers if you are an unloader. You load trailers/trucks if you are an unloader. You can also become a sorter (putting you at a skillful worker) and get the dollar raise. Your pay check after taxes will range from $80-$120. Since it's almost August right now, you're most likely going to be hired as a seasonal. I say it's not worth it, wait until January then apply again, if I were you.

DOK

Preload in my opinion is the more demanding shift of all of them, getting up early sucks and having to load delivery trucks in the proper delivery order, that are filled beyond capacity, is very difficult. The evening shift in our building is much less demanding and laid back.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Preload in my opinion is the more demanding shift of all of them, getting up early sucks and having to load delivery trucks in the proper delivery order, that are filled beyond capacity, is very difficult. The evening shift in our building is much less demanding and laid back.

Same here. I had never worked twilight until I got laid off from driving. When I did I was like this is so gravy and so much more laid back than preload it's awesome.

Now the hardest job on twilight is definitely loading the trailers. That was tough work. Everything else was easy money on twilight.

8Keys

It is kind of a difficult question because there are a lot of possibilities as to when and what you would do. On any shift other than preload, you would probably either unload trailers or load trailers. Loading is a bit more involved but both are hard work where supervisors will be pushing you to go as fast as possible. Loaders will end up getting a bit more time than unloaders in my experience. It is hard to explain, but in the areas where trailers are loaded, certain trailers will get way too many packages coming to keep up and long after everything has been unloaded someone will still be loading those blown up trailers. That wrap up time would result in a few extra hours a week for some of the loaders. Higher seniority workers would be entitled to stay the longest but a lot of times they just want to go home as fast as possible. The sorts can start at different times throughout the week as the company tries to maximize efficiency (breaking your back) by having later start times when there is less work to do. It is hard to say which sort would give you the most hours. Our day sort tends to work less than the other sorts, but that might be specific to this hub. I used to work about 25 hours a week loading on night sort, with some overtime mixed in for nights over 5 hours. But in some cases you might be luck to get 20 hours a week.

breno2342

In my 2 month's experience as a loader on the twilight shift:

1) We have the highest volume of packages of all the shifts in my hub.
2) I usually get 25-27 hours/week. From what I understand, unloaders don't get as many hours.
3) I've never been sent home early. It goes by seniority, so higher seniority guys usually go home before they ask you.
4) Your personal shifts vary from the "official" hours. IE, twilight shift is officially from 4:30PM - 10:30PM I believe, but I can sometimes start as late as 5:40PM and sometimes leave as late as 11:15PM.

anonymous4

All of it sucks. I've read posts from people claiming TWI and Night sorts were a breeze. Yeah, okay. Outbound (trailers) in a heavy flow area is a nightmare. Trailers swelter in the summer, freeze in the winter and putting a pile of **** upright as they cram volume down your rollers with egress piled up, is not a breeze. You are loading up to the ceiling, requiring use of a load stand all night, wall after wall. God forbid they have a special thing for you and put you in one of their loads being fed from the bottom belt of a sort isle. 40+ lb packages all shift long for you, enjoy.

norcal10

4) Your personal shifts vary from the "official" hours. IE, twilight shift is officially from 4:30PM - 10:30PM I believe, but I can sometimes start as late as 5:40PM and sometimes leave as late as 11:15PM.
You would not believe it but on Fridays these last couple of months we've been starting at 5:50pm!

BMWSauber1991

Your hours will likely not be 11:30AM to 5:00PM -- that's just the general time period the sort is operated from.

I'm not familiar with day sort (few exist), so I'll use Preload for example: the application is one-size-fits-all (all buildings get the same application, the sole difference is that it includes sorts pertinent to that facility) and indicates Preload typically operates from 3:30AM to 9:00AM. In one Preload operation, start time may be 4:10AM-4:20AM, with employees clocking out 3.5-4 hours later, but in another it may be 5:30AM, with employees clocking out 3.5 hours later.

When you interview, you can ask about the actual start/finish times.

This is the most accurate post among others. I work Dayshift at my hub and we start from 11am-12pm depending on the day.

J

jibbs

You've gotten good info here, but I just want to chime in about the search function.

Google can be used to get around search limits here. Enter your search like this:

"[search term] site:www.browncafe.com"

and your Google search will limit itself to the the Brown Cafe's URL only. It'll work for any website, guaranteed. Can be a pretty useful "trick" sometimes...

So just to make sure it's clear if anyone's interested, this is how I would search for an answer to this thread:

Into Google, I would type "Difference between shifts at UPS site:www.browncafe.com"

and boom, you've got yourself a specialized search engine for individual pages, sites and networks.

drake0727

If the location offers that timeslot, it is probably a major hub location.

From the Mesquite Hub schedule
Preload operation - Runs all day (combined with the sorts for the outbound feeder trailers) Main hours 4-9
Daysort - 10:30 up to 5-6 pm (most article 22's work this sort combined with preload or twilight)
Twilight 5-6 to 11pm (depends on when daysort goes down)
Night 10:30 pm - 3-4am (this sort sucks badly, avoid this shift, the work is lighter, but huge attendance problem, so you will be worked)
Feeders runs all day from Mesquite of course :O