Different Courier Swing position

larsonage

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could tell my the difference between FT Courier Swing and FT Courier Swing 6:30-1230 and 1400-2100. I asked during the interview and the hiring Manger said they were the same and I’ll be working the same shift as a regular Swing driver. It just doesn’t make sense to me. Has anyone seen this position at in your hub? Thanks in advance.

FedexCares

I’m no expert but it looks to me the early position will be making deliveries and the later position will be doing pickups mostly. I’m not sure if that’s what you were asking or not.

If it was me I’d probably rather be making deliveries, but either way swing positions suck and you better be prepared to get run ragged. That said, some people absolutely thrive as swings so it really comes down to the individual person.

vantexan

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could tell my the difference between FT Courier Swing and FT Courier Swing 6:30-1230 and 1400-2100. I asked during the interview and the hiring Manger said they were the same and I’ll be working the same shift as a regular Swing driver. It just doesn’t make sense to me. Has anyone seen this position at in your hub? Thanks in advance.
Looks like they're going to use that position to work any and every shift possible. You might find you're working morning one day, evening the next, and both the day after. Or literally all day every day with a break in between to keep you under 14 hours a day.

falcon back

Looks like they're going to use that position to work any and every shift possible. You might find you're working morning one day, evening the next, and both the day after. Or literally all day every day with a break in between to keep you under 14 hours a day.
Key work was difference. Where did you see in his question that he would be working a split and do 2 different shifts?

Star B

White Lightening
630 to 2100, break 1230 to 1400!
14 hour violation at 2030. breaks, even unpaid, are included in your 14 hour time. `14 hours is from punch in to punch out. Yes, the timecard (FAMIS?) program won't flag an over 14 violation if it's not 14 hours of actual paid time, but rest assured, if audited, it's a violation.

chris45

Morning is deliveries, the other is probably midday delivering and/or pickup routes. At my station the am swings don't do anything with the midday and pm stuff and vice versa. I am a pm swing i don't have it rough but it def could be. It all just depends on the fools running the show

vantexan

Key work was difference. Where did you see in his question that he would be working a split and do 2 different shifts?
As pointed out he would go over 14 including break so doubtful he'd work all day. But based on what they're calling it it's most likely that he would have to work any shift they deem necessary rather than just mornings or just nights. And if needed would have to work a split(and no longer paid split pay).

vantexan

14 hour violation at 2030. breaks, even unpaid, are included in your 14 hour time. `14 hours is from punch in to punch out. Yes, the timecard (FAMIS?) program won't flag an over 14 violation if it's not 14 hours of actual paid time, but rest assured, if audited, it's a violation.
That's true, but I knew of a situation in AZ where swings were working over 14 hrs all the time for many months. If the company is in a bind employee wise they'll do what's necessary until they can correct the situation.

floridays

As pointed out he would go over 14 including break so doubtful he'd work all day. But based on what they're calling it it's most likely that he would have to work any shift they deem necessary rather than just mornings or just nights. And if needed would have to work a split(and no longer paid split pay).
I Agree, and likely he would/could run different part-time routes depending on call outs, definitely not a typical swing job.

Who knows what Fedex could morph this job classification into.

floridays

That's true, but I knew of a situation in AZ where swings were working over 14 hrs all the time for many months. If the company is in a bind employee wise they'll do what's necessary until they can correct the situation.
Exactly.

Who checks hours of DOT drivers beyond the company?
A legitimate question,.
No one beyond the company knows the hours until a civil complaint is filed..

That is the rock and hard place many locations negotiate between.

!Retired!

The same thing, just worded differently. Swings work all shifts.
Exactly.

Who checks hours of DOT drivers beyond the company?
A legitimate question,.
No one beyond the company knows the hours until a civil complaint is filed..

That is the rock and hard place many locations negotiate between.
If DOT isn't notified and something happens (accident, DOT inspection, etc), the fines can be pretty big. I wouldn't know if that's done automatically or not.
You've been here long enough to know FedEx will place all the blame on the driver........and, in this case, rightfully so.

floridays

If DOT isn't notified and something happens (accident, DOT inspection, etc), the fines can be pretty big. I wouldn't know if that's done automatically or not.
You've been here long enough to know FedEx will place all the blame on the driver........and, in this case, rightfully so.
Swings cover routes, swings are not the guy off the bench to replace a call out.
Drivers have defined work hours that are flexible on rtb, not sure of any stations that run scheduled splits, they certainly wouldn't be from 0630-2100.

No one is scheduled from 0630-2100, why not call this what it is, an @Operational needs position?

McFeely

Huge Member

This is exactly what it is at my station. If you're a swing, be prepared to be scheduled anywhere from 0600 to 2000 (roughly). But no, they would not be scheduling or allowing 14 hour days. If you sign an offer letter for a FT swing position, be prepared to work at any and all times of day. The split shifts gotta be the worst, unless you can actually go home on a 4 hour break and get some errands run.

Swings get abused and the pay doesn't reflect that.

floridays

This is exactly what it is at my station. If you're a swing, be prepared to be scheduled anywhere from 0600 to 2000 (roughly). But no, they would not be scheduling or allowing 14 hour days. If you sign an offer letter for a FT swing position, be prepared to work at any and all times of day. The split shifts gotta be the worst, unless you can actually go home on a 4 hour break and get some errands run.

Swings get abused and the pay doesn't reflect that.
They run it like that at your place?

McFeely

Huge Member
They run it like that at your place?

Yes. All FT swings are told they may be scheduled anytime between the AM sort and the end of our Wave 2. Roughly 0600 punch-in some days and some 2100 punch out days, not to exceed 14 hours from punch to punch.

The new swings we get sometimes start at 1000 and do some random P2 or overflow, come back to the station for Wave 2, and run Wave 2 until 2100. Other times they start at 0630 and run a full route and then get a pup route, punching out around 1900. Almost all FT drivers (non-swings as well) in my station are doing 9-12 hour days every day of the week.

floridays

Yes. All FT swings are told they may be scheduled anytime between the AM sort and the end of our Wave 2. Roughly 0600 punch-in some days and some 2100 punch out days, not to exceed 14 hours from punch to punch.

The new swings we get sometimes start at 1000 and do some random P2 or overflow, come back to the station for Wave 2, and run Wave 2 until 2100. Other times they start at 0630 and run a full route and then get a pup route, punching out around 1900. Almost all FT drivers (non-swings as well) in my station are doing 9-12 hour days every day of the week.
Wow.
What the hell does a 0600 punch do?
What does a 2100 punchout do after your 1900 pull?

Legitimate questions, I'm curious.

McFeely

Huge Member
Wow.
What the hell does a 0600 punch do?
What does a 2100 punchout do after your 1900 pull?

Legitimate questions, I'm curious.

0600 punch in might be doing doc sort on a Monday morning. Might even punch in earlier and do a run to the ramp for FOs. Might be doing address corrections or setting up the morning sort. Loading all the send-again packages back on the belt and setting up the guns.

2100 punch out person would be doing Wave 2 deliveries up until 2030 and a RTB of 2100. Our Wave 2 drivers do absolutely no pups and therefore don't have to get outbound back nor do they work the PM sort.

This is why Response is absolute crap in my station. Our Wave 2 drivers don't even typically get on road until 1430, sometimes 1530. They typically bring back at least 50% of what they take on road, which ends up being WDLs the next day.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
0600 punch in might be doing doc sort on a Monday morning. Might even punch in earlier and do a run to the ramp for FOs. Might be doing address corrections or setting up the morning sort. Loading all the send-again packages back on the belt and setting up the guns.

2100 punch out person would be doing Wave 2 deliveries up until 2030 and a RTB of 2100. Our Wave 2 drivers do absolutely no pups and therefore don't have to get outbound back nor do they work the PM sort.

This is why Response is absolute crap in my station. Our Wave 2 drivers don't even typically get on road until 1430, sometimes 1530. They typically bring back at least 50% of what they take on road, which ends up being WDLs the next day.
FedEx, The World on Time….or was that Federal Express? Lol.