Disability check from AETNA/Broadspire

synystergates

Disability check

Because I'm on part time disability, I was wondering if I get some type of disability check or something like that. And if so, will it come in the mail, will I have to pick it up from the hub, or would it be direct deposit?

synystergates

Disability check

I posted this in labor relations and got no response. So I'll try it here.

Because I'm on part time disability, I was wondering if I get some type of disability check or something like that. And if so, will it come in the mail, will I have to pick it up from the hub, or would it be direct deposit?

Brown_Noser

Large Member
Re: Disability check

It will be a check (or checks) that you get via regular mail. I got my first one about a week after I returned from short term disability (2 weeks after they approved it).

They will pay you from the 1st or 2nd week you were out depending on how long you were out on STD.

I think it was about 70% of my regular part time pay (it was a lump sum minus taxes). The very next week I got a 2nd check for the remainder of the time I was out.

bscott85

if youve been APPROVED for short term disability BY AETNA then...

it will be a check in the mail from aetna and not from UPS

they will back pay you to your 1st day missed from work on the 1st check, then a regular weekly check after that and its 60 or 70% of normal pay, and if you have any vacations still left from UPS when those come up UPS will pay you for that week full pay and aetna wont pay u that week

aetna will also send u a W-2 in jan/feb for taxes

helenofcalifornia

My experience with disability is that you must first file the paperwork that you get at your EDD office. (State unemployment office out here in Cal.)
Your doctor of course has to fill out his part of the form as well. It takes about two weeks to get your first check.

Also, out here, we also get $50 a week from out health insurance people. (Bay Area Delivery Drivers) (Actually, more like $37 after taxes.) Also the Union will give you $10 a week for I think 12 weeks (?). Also get a withdraw card from the union so that you don't have to pay union dues while you are off. then call them and tell them when you are coming back so they will put you on the roles.

Health benefits should continue automatically for 6 months and then I think UPS health insurance people pick up the second 6 months. If I think of anything more I will add more. Good luck.

synystergates

So since we live in California, we must file state disability? For some strange reason I thought that once I filed a claim with AETNA, they would cut me a check for disability.

synystergates

My experience with disability is that you must first file the paperwork that you get at your EDD office. (State unemployment office out here in Cal.)
Your doctor of course has to fill out his part of the form as well. It takes about two weeks to get your first check.

Also, out here, we also get $50 a week from out health insurance people. (Bay Area Delivery Drivers) (Actually, more like $37 after taxes.) Also the Union will give you $10 a week for I think 12 weeks (?). Also get a withdraw card from the union so that you don't have to pay union dues while you are off. then call them and tell them when you are coming back so they will put you on the roles.

Health benefits should continue automatically for 6 months and then I think UPS health insurance people pick up the second 6 months. If I think of anything more I will add more. Good luck.

This is what I got from my other post. Is this true?

synystergates

I was just wondering if it was true that I must file paperwork with the EDD office and get other forms filled out by my doctors. Or does AETNA take care of this for me, since they authorized my disability.

helenofcalifornia

Yeah, you have to fill out the form with EDD since Disability is a state sponsored program. Aetna might give you a little extra something. At least that is the way it worked for me. And the sooner the better since it takes about 10 working days to get your first check.

synystergates

Right now I'm on Short-Term Disability and AETNA approved my claim and last week I was sent a check for about $50 and today I received two checks in the mail that were blank and the stubs say one is for 25 days of pay and the other is for 5 days of pay. I was just wondering why they are blank checks and why would they send them like that to me? On both of the checks, the Hours and Earnings lines say an amount for State Disability - California and then the amount with a negative sign after it.

Am I getting deducted?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The only advice I think you need is to call them. They have the answers. Anything else from this site would just be worthless conjecture.

d

klein

Für Meno :)
I heard blank checks are the best, just fill in the numbers you wanna collect !:greedy:

OK, just wanted to be funny.

Maybe it,s direct deposit, and therefor blank ?

5 days,(1 week), sounds like you need to use the optional days up first. (had a job like that before short term kicks in).
I know insurance doesn't kick in on the first sick day

25 days, I'm not sure, either direct deposit or a mistake.

Last edited:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Klein, is that before or after you drink?

The stub says negative pay, which means that more than likely the check has non negotiable on it.

I know you are trying to be funny, but one person losing their job by doing something stupid is enough. Dont need to suggest to others, ways they can follow your example.

d

raceanoncr

Was on STD (no, not FROM an STD) for the last 6 months. Now on LTD. Aetna/Broadspire would always have the pay date on the stub and what day or period it covered. Sometimes their rate of pay was a little slow, so don't get real exited. Other times they paid for one day, then sent a check for the remainder of the week. Sometimes the week was broken up into two periods. Why? Dunno. But I kept track of all days I was entitled to and it eventually worked out. Try a little patience first.

synystergates

I was approved for Disability Insurance from the CA EDD but I got a check in the mail for one day of pay for $16.71 and it also says "Notice of Final Payment" on the bottom of the statement. I am very confused about this situation. Am I only supposed to get one check from the EDD and continue getting paid from Aetna or is it in reverse?

Brownbo

Was on STD (no, not FROM an STD) for the last 6 months. Now on LTD. Aetna/Broadspire would always have the pay date on the stub and what day or period it covered. Sometimes their rate of pay was a little slow, so don't get real exited. Other times they paid for one day, then sent a check for the remainder of the week. Sometimes the week was broken up into two periods. Why? Dunno. But I kept track of all days I was entitled to and it eventually worked out. Try a little patience first.
I am a part-time employee, and have been on STD for 180 days. Obviously, that is about to end in two days. I am having the hardest time getting any clear information out of the HR Dept., District Nurse, and Aetna Broadspire. No one seems to know how I apply for LTD, or how I am to go about doing that. I feel trapped. My doctor can't release me. UPS is terminating all of my benefits. Only logical choice is to return to work in an effort to keep my job. Only problem is that they want a 100% release note. I've already tried getting them to let me back under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Long story shortened, Can someone please give me a clue where to start looking for answers???

JonFrum

I am a part-time employee, and have been on STD for 180 days. Obviously, that is about to end in two days. I am having the hardest time getting any clear information out of the HR Dept., District Nurse, and Aetna Broadspire. No one seems to know how I apply for LTD, or how I am to go about doing that. I feel trapped. My doctor can't release me. UPS is terminating all of my benefits. Only logical choice is to return to work in an effort to keep my job. Only problem is that they want a 100% release note. I've already tried getting them to let me back under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Long story shortened, Can someone please give me a clue where to start looking for answers???
If you mean the LTD plan in Article 34, Section 1, (j); that is only for full-timers.

Article 14, Section 3 requires UPS to negotiate with the Local Union to find a reasonable accomodation for you, but you must be permanently disabled, and otherwise qualify for ADA coverage.

Does your STD plan's Summary Plan Description (SPD) say you can go back to work for a while, and then go back out on a new 26-week disability? Just a thought.

UPS Master Agreement & Regional Supplements:
http://tdu.org/node/1617