discharge (while in the hospital)

BleedBrown33

Yesterday i recieved one of ups's wonderful discharge letters. About a month ago i was put into the hospital. About 10 days later i was released(thursday) and brought paperwork to ups and picked up check(s) and was due to return to work on the following monday. That monday i had a checkup early morning before returning to work and sent back into the hospital and was released yesterday when i get home my room-mate says "you got something from ups and i signed for it". I open it up and it's a discharge for job abandonement!

Opinions/Help???

How many attempts did you make since? Unless you were under anesthesia the whole time there's little excuse for not making multiple attempts.

CAFAL

Would this be an appropriate moment to use a cell phone? Who doesn't know their sups cell number? We all do so as to not answer when it's them. Very sorry for whatever health issues you're having, a message doesn't cover you

anonymous4

But he left a message. What is wrong with some of you? You have this great job people would do awful things for, paying your medical bills and all you can do to cover your ass is leave a message. Come on, I'd have made it priority to call daily or if I couldn't, make sure I had someone able to work that out for me. I hope you get your job back and you are OK, though.

Johney

If you left a message someone should have got it I would think? We had a guy that use to use the 1-800 number to call in sick because the center would not answer the phone to get call ins.They got mad as hell but could never fire him for it. That was a long time ago and that management crew has long since gone. Can you imagine not answering the phone so you couldn't get call ins? This was before cell phones are what they are today.

UPSGUY72

Yesterday i recieved one of ups's wonderful discharge letters. About a month ago i was put into the hospital. About 10 days later i was released(thursday) and brought paperwork to ups and picked up check(s) and was due to return to work on the following monday. That monday i had a checkup early morning before returning to work and sent back into the hospital and was released yesterday when i get home my room-mate says "you got something from ups and i signed for it". I open it up and it's a discharge for job abandonement!

Opinions/Help???

Call you BA... Don't you have a SUP person number. You should have called until you got a real person that day when you had another chance.... You'll probably get you job back but your going to have to fight for it. However I suspect that there are other issues that have lead to you discharge letter...(ie this is not the first time you have done this )

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Article 58, Paragraph B: Employees absent from work for three (3) consecutive days without properly notifying the Employer will be considered to have voluntarily quit.

I don't think "I left a message" qualifies as "properly notifying the Employer".

bluehdmc

I don't have any of my Sup's phone # just the number for Dispatch for feeders. I would think a voice mail message should suffice. They could always say they didn't recieve it even if they did. If the OP called from his cell on the way to the hospital he could contact his cell service provider for a record of the call.

Since the OP got home Saturday and recieved the letter they could/should call Monday or just go in and try to get it straightened out. Might help to contact a steward to be present also.

I'm sure they were a little more concerned with their health when they left the message.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Article 58, Paragraph B: Employees absent from work for three (3) consecutive days without properly notifying the Employer will be considered to have voluntarily quit. I don't think "I left a message" qualifies as "properly notifying the Employer".
That's in your supplemental. Employees in other regions probably don't work under that language, although in the Atlantic region company policy is 3 no-call no-shows results in a termination. If out for an extended period of time, the employee has to notify the employer upon absence, upon return, and at other times determined by the employer.

BleedBrown33

I had a compacted wisdom tooth that got infected and was starting to spread into skull and ended up having all my wis. teeth taken out. I still look like i've got 2 lemons in my cheek's

BleedBrown33

I wont know anything until monday morning when union hall opens and about having a sup's # my area has had 13 pt's since peak and my current ft does not give any hourly's his cell#

menotyou

bella amicizia
That's in your supplemental. Employees in other regions probably don't work under that language, although in the Atlantic region company policy is 3 no-call no-shows results in a termination. If out for an extended period of time, the employee has to notify the employer upon absence, upon return, and at other times determined by the employer.
I would imagine a capable BA could and would get this termination thrown out/wiped from your record.

brown_trousers

Article 58, Paragraph B: Employees absent from work for three (3) consecutive days without properly notifying the Employer will be considered to have voluntarily quit.

I don't think "I left a message" qualifies as "properly notifying the Employer".

A voicemail sounds perfectly acceptable to me. Most of corporate America accepts using voicemail as an appropriate form of relaying messages. The only question is if he can prove that he actually left the voicemail.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A voicemail sounds perfectly acceptable to me. Most of corporate America accepts using voicemail as an appropriate form of relaying messages. The only question is if he can prove that he actually left the voicemail.

brown_trousers,

I agree.

Sincerely,
I

Sorry, call me old school, but if I was going back to the hospital for a medical situation for which I had already been out of work for an extended period of time, I or a member of my family would make sure to talk to a live person at work to let them know what is going on.

The OP will most likely get his job back with a lesson learned.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I think a grievance panel will disagree with you.