Discipline for driving with an expired DOT card

Butters243

A driver I know forgot to get his DOT card renewed. He drove after it expired. He was told that he can't work until further notice. Anyone know what kind of discipline he'll receive? Letter/ Termination ?

PT Car Washer

He will not be able to work until he receives his new card. Sounds like the company dropped the ball also for not keeping track of his next physical renewal. Doubt if there is any real discipline.

UPSGUY72

He won't be able to drive until he gets a new Dot card.

However UPS might have to self report the violation just like they are suppose to when some violates the HOS rules. Whether or not they report the violation will determine if other action maybe taken by state, local, or Fed officials.

This is a serious problem if the driver got into an accident while driving a UPS vehicle without a good DOT card UPS and the driver would be big trouble with the DOT not to mention the other person lawyer...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Back in the day, I would use the expiration as a day off. Get to work, boss asked about DOT, had to go for renewal.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
A driver I know forgot to get his DOT card renewed. He drove after it expired. He was told that he can't work until further notice. Anyone know what kind of discipline he'll receive? Letter/ Termination ?
I've heard they can walk you out the building for this....you'd get your job back though most likely.

If " a driver" can't stay on top of something as simple as his DOT card then what else is he not doing as he drives?

It's a big boy rule. Follow it, be responsible, or quit so we can fill the position with someone who can.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

cachsux said it best. In our center, HR prints out the list of expiration dates a month in advance. Drivers then get their cards renewed and mgt makes a copy of the card for their records. If by chance the driver waits until the last minute he/she will not be allowed to go on road until their card is renewed.

cachsux said it best. In our center, HR prints out the list of expiration dates a month in advance. Drivers then get their cards renewed and mgt makes a copy of the card for their records. If by chance the driver waits until the last minute he/she will not be allowed to go on road until their card is renewed.

Play the expired DOT card game if you have a CDL and watch what happens. The Feds aren't fooling around anymore.

raceanoncr

If " a driver" can't stay on top of something as simple as his DOT card then what else is he not doing as he drives?

It's a big boy rule. Follow it, be responsible, or quit so we can fill the position with someone who can.

On a similar note, cach, here, again, I said HERE, we could bank on company dropping the tractor insurance card every year. EVERY YEAR. IF you did a proper pre, as only a few will do, we know, you could count on big delays the first day back after the 1st.

"Where's insurance card for 2*****?" "I dunno. Ain't it in there?" "Oh, dummy me, I forgot to look. I just wanted to walk all the way up here to ask YOU." "Well, go down to the shop, they MIGHT have them." After driving clear around shop and walking in, "You have insurance cards here?". "No, Feeders has em." "They said YOU have em." "Well, we don't." This time, trying to save the company some $ (yeah, like I care), we call up to Feeders and tell them what shop said. "We don't have em here so tell them to look." After telling shop, now, what Feeders said, they, in quite a huff by now, go look, all the while my meter is ticking away. BINGO! HERE they are!

Then get to the outbound phone, "Why are you late?". CLICK.

So while a "driver" should be able to stay on top of something as simple as this, most of us only having to renew every two yrs, I also apply that to company. Something that happens every year ON THE SAME DAY.

bluebiker

The last time mine expired my on road was sending me daily messages starting a month before. I'd keep responding, "I had xx# or days and I was aware of it."
The next day there would be another message.

oldngray

nowhere special
One year UPS didn't schedule me for my DOT physical on time. I waited and finally told them its expiring so I need a day off work to get it done. They wouldn't let me have the day off (Oh no, we can't cover your route!) so I had to have it done in the morning and start my route late. They claimed it was my responsibility and they never schedule those for drivers (but always did in the past). It was just a clerk messing up and UPS covering for them because that mysteriously never happened again.

bbsam

Staff member
A whole day off for a DOT physical? One of my drivers had his expire so he went up to the local occupational health clinic and met me on his route an hour later. I think chiros even do them at truck stops now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A whole day off for a DOT physical? One of my drivers had his expire so he went up to the local occupational health clinic and met me on his route an hour later. I think chiros even do them at truck stops now.

I usually get mine done while I am on vacation. I schedule it first thing in the morning and it generally takes about an hour.

UPSGUY72

Screw that, if it is job related, they will give me a day off to facilitate it. I don't do that on my own time[/quote

I usually get mine done while I am on vacation. I schedule it first thing in the morning and it generally takes about an hour.

I do it before I start work one day it doesn't take that long also UPS pays you when your getting it ... I'm not taking time out of my vacation to go get a DOT physical I'm on vacation......