Discontinue Air Driving?

Sculpin

I have been Air Driving for about 1.5 years (pre-load). I am right in the middle of 9 Air Driver's for seniority. I have a second job (4 hr/day) that has been very flexible when UPS needs me to shuttle air during the week (not very often). This second employer now wants me to take on more responsibility which might mean that I can't drive air on the weekdays. What will happen if I tell UPS that I can only drive air on Saturdays going forward? Will I still be able to keep my pre-load job if they tell me to pound sand?

GameCockFan

Yes, you can keep your pre-load job. It's your primary job/responsibility. Just take your name of the air-list. It will most likely prevent you from working on Saturdays in the future, unless they work with you. Other employees could/will complain so expect to give up Saturday also.

I have been Air Driving for about 1.5 years (pre-load). I am right in the middle of 9 Air Driver's for seniority. I have a second job (4 hr/day) that has been very flexible when UPS needs me to shuttle air during the week (not very often). This second employer now wants me to take on more responsibility which might mean that I can't drive air on the weekdays. What will happen if I tell UPS that I can only drive air on Saturdays going forward? Will I still be able to keep my pre-load job if they tell me to pound sand?
If preload is your primary job then that is your only obligation. Air exception work is when needed and available. Your situation comes up all the time. I would encourage you to keep driving on Saturday as you are only 6 months away from top rate of $27/hr.

Sculpin

PT,
So when the fog rolls in and air is late, I will just state that I am unavailable for shuttling? Do you think that I can get away with this for long? I definitely want to continue with Saturdays.

Rack em

Made the Podium
PT,
So when the fog rolls in and air is late, I will just state that I am unavailable for shuttling? Do you think that I can get away with this for long? I definitely want to continue with Saturdays.
Just talk to the air supervisor and explain it to them. Tell them your second job is requiring more of your time but you would still be able to do air on Saturday. Unless they are unreasonable, they will understand and if they need help on Saturday they will still call you as needed.

I should mention that as an exception driver you are supposed to be available and if you are unavailable 3 times I think they can skip over you and use a less seniority drive, even on Saturday's

PT,
Just tell them to use someone with less seniority. There are no guarantees with air exception work. We have Saturday drivers that work maybe once a month and never during the week. They can force you to work Holidays like Friday after Thanksgiving and New Years Eve.

Hellobrown2000

Delivering every zip code or just high density areas?
High density residential. No business. It makes zero sense. We already don't have enough work for the ft Monday through friday guys. Dm said were doing preload t-s also. Not sure how that will work when we're already running 3 hr preloads.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
High density residential. No business. It makes zero sense. We already don't have enough work for the ft Monday through friday guys. Dm said were doing preload t-s also. Not sure how that will work when we're already running 3 hr preloads.
They will load half your car on Saturday then a different preloader will finish it on Monday. It's absolutely fantastic....

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Saturday air driving will be gone soon anyway

In my area, I see 2 brownies in smaller 500s out until 1800 on Saturdays. My guess is that they're the Tuesday~Saturday crew & they're doing both air and ground on Saturday if both are out that late.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
In my neck of the woods, they're out at 0830~0900 when I'm driving on the same major highway to my first stop.

I'm guessing they'll be reducing the amount of air~only drivers and will run more cover drivers doing both air, then ground mainly on Fridays and Saturdays (but wtf do I know, I'm on team eggplant)

BurntSienna

If preload is your primary job then that is your only obligation. Air exception work is when needed and available. Your situation comes up all the time. I would encourage you to keep driving on Saturday as you are only 6 months away from top rate of $27/hr.
I'm in the same boat. Been trying to go FT for 2.5 yrs. Been an air exception driver and preloader for almost 2. I'm very close to hitting top pay for air driver. That's the main reason I've been hanging on (other than also keeping my excellent health benefits)