Discrimination

I have been constantly harassed by a supervisor for years. He’s made comments to other drivers “He wants to bid on that route I’ll make sure he works 12 hours a day.” As wells as tell other Drivers not to talk to me or they will get extra work. He over dispatches me everyday and puts me in positions in which I will miss stops but blames me and say I did it. Stops don’t plot on my route in where I’m driving further than where they are plotted. I’ve told him this and shown on map but yet refuses to fix the plot. So a planned day on the computer is inaccurate to what I will actually work. One time I had a zip lock bag acting as the gas cap for the vehicle I was going to be driving. I let another sup know I needed a gas cap. As that sup and I are looking for one in the mechanics bay the sup that has always harassed me asks me in a very intimidating manner “ARE YOU REFUSING TO DRIVE THAT PACKAGE CAR?!” I replied “Is that a serious question?” in which he says “WELL EVERYONE ELSE HAS BEEN DRIVING IT!” And walks away.
These are just a few stories to the many.

I have filled grievances but yet nothing stops him from doing what he does. It just has gotten to the point where he’s good at it in where it’s hard to file at times because of proof and gets away with it. I’ve used the open door policy with the center manager but they have a brotherhood within the supervisor team and that did not help. So finally I sent an email to HR in Atlanta 2 weeks ago and still no response there. I gave the center manager the courtesy and with a steward told him the day I sent the email. I told him I’m tired of him harassing me. But nothing.

These past years I have seen how sneaky this company is towards employees and am feeling the retaliation towards me for speaking up this week. I do what I’m told I work hard. I follow the rules. I don’t lay down but I don’t run. I take my lunch per contract. Follow instructions. I’m just not helping in making their numbers look better than they really are and they hate me for that. Like they want me skipping my lunch, recording a package the wrong way, work off the clock, etc. I won’t do that. I want this company to be successful and those things they want me to do set the company up for failure. I’ve put years of time and money into this place and am tired of the harassment.

Am I handling this the right way? What should I expect for speaking up?

60lbBagofdogfood

Don’t worry he’s friendly
If one of the other drivers can vouch for you then yes you can.
Gather your evidence and collect it. And try to hit him hard.
Tell me what local are you? If you are local 509 there is a certain union contact I can give to you who will 100% help you and represent you.

If you are not 509 then call your local union hall and talk with your business agent. You will take some harassment for it but push through it. It seems you already have anyways. Get your brothers on your side but try not to talk fully about what you’re doing.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Start a paper trail by documenting EVERYTHING. Any witnesses, snide remarks, any interactions with the idiot. Do it long enough and when you lower the boom on him, there's alot on satisfaction knowing you are the one that got rid of the vermin. Then wait a month and call the scumbag saying you were just checking on him.

PCM Troll

Record all conversations and keep a log of all interactions. Do not interact with your supervisor without a steward present! You have that right. You also have the right to refuse operating any equipment that is unsafe or not road worthy. Know your rights!

Sacrificial Lamb

Knows his way around a box.
I have been constantly harassed by a supervisor for years. He’s made comments to other drivers “He wants to bid on that route I’ll make sure he works 12 hours a day.” As wells as tell other Drivers not to talk to me or they will get extra work. He over dispatches me everyday and puts me in positions in which I will miss stops but blames me and say I did it. Stops don’t plot on my route in where I’m driving further than where they are plotted. I’ve told him this and shown on map but yet refuses to fix the plot. So a planned day on the computer is inaccurate to what I will actually work. One time I had a zip lock bag acting as the gas cap for the vehicle I was going to be driving. I let another sup know I needed a gas cap. As that sup and I are looking for one in the mechanics bay the sup that has always harassed me asks me in a very intimidating manner “ARE YOU REFUSING TO DRIVE THAT PACKAGE CAR?!” I replied “Is that a serious question?” in which he says “WELL EVERYONE ELSE HAS BEEN DRIVING IT!” And walks away.

I have filled grievances but yet nothing stops him from doing what he does. It just has gotten to the point where he’s good at it in where it’s hard to file at times because of proof and gets away with it. I’ve used the open door policy with the center manager but they have a brotherhood within the supervisor team and that did not help. So finally I sent an email to HR in Atlanta 2 weeks ago and still no response there. I gave the center manager the courtesy and with a steward told him the day I sent the email. I told him I’m tired of him harassing me. But nothing.

These past years I have seen how sneaky this company is towards employees and am feeling the retaliation towards me for speaking up this week. I do what I’m told I work hard. I follow the rules. I don’t lay down but I don’t run. I take my lunch per contract. Follow instructions. I’m just not helping in making their numbers look better than they really are and they hate me for that. Like they want me skipping my lunch, recording a package the wrong way, work off the clock, etc. I won’t do that. I want this company to be successful and those things they want me to do set the company up for failure. I’ve put years of time and money into this place and am tired of the harassment.

You will prevail, brother. Keep filing on their asses. I think for the repair stuff you can possibly file under NMA Article 18 Sections 1 and 2, possibly Section 18 as well. Continue to file Article 37’s along with Article 21 (Union Discrimination) as well to document the harassment. Ask your business agent and go through the chain of command until they make you whole.

Attachments

• 84ED8CAC-AFB2-4CF3-9E3D-EC23181CD845.jpeg
    84ED8CAC-AFB2-4CF3-9E3D-EC23181CD845.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 5
  • E0D51A5B-2082-4657-AEAC-5E45D693E76C.jpeg
    E0D51A5B-2082-4657-AEAC-5E45D693E76C.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 095AFFCF-564D-46C7-93F8-2ED45488606E.jpeg
    095AFFCF-564D-46C7-93F8-2ED45488606E.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Sacrificial Lamb

Knows his way around a box.
Record all conversations and keep a log of all interactions. Do not interact with your supervisor without a steward present! You have that right. You also have the right to refuse operating any equipment that is unsafe or not road worthy. Know your rights!
Solely communicate with management via the DIAD. If I understand Article 12 you can print out the messages you had with management? (I’m part time so idk what ODS means yet). Also check your state’s single party consent laws on recording. I think it’s against UPS policy to record, but I’m not sure if the policy trumps state law which I believe it shouldn’t.

Attachments

• 6757FE9F-A42F-450E-90A5-6ECA76CB98C2.png
    6757FE9F-A42F-450E-90A5-6ECA76CB98C2.png
    408.3 KB · Views: 8

Integrity

Binge Poster

How many grievances have you filed and what was the documented outcome of them?

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Id be failing that route every day. Run straight air without delivering any ground. Have missed business after 5. Because apparently you can’t find stuff. Take an hour lunch. Be the last one to lock out every night or don’t finish. File 9.5. Stop working hard for them.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

You can sue and win. I've seen drivers sue particular managers.