Disgusted Part Deaux

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
This is compleatly freakin stupid. My first stop yesterday was a 48 piece bulk stop (shirts with college insigna on them) for a college building. Of course it would be a second floor delivery and of course it would be for a building that i could not park near. It seemed as i had to park a 1/4 mile from the stinking building i could only bring 6 boxes on the elevator at a time (not a service elevator). Took me almost an hour and screwed my whole day up. Called my sup and gave him the 411 on what was going on. You know that commercial that has the one employee and all the bosses are monkeys jumping around the office. Well this is what it felt like.

Going back to my orginal post, i can not wrap my head around this........ My diad tells me i have 85 packages for this college. But not how many stops and more IMPORTANTLY how many packages to deliver to each stop!!!! I feel as though as i am chasing my tail all day. Didnt get back to the building until 9:15 320 packages 136 stops took full hour luch:angry:

NOTE FOR THE HATERS OUT THERE: NO I AM NOT AFRAID OF A HARD DAYS WORK, NO I AM NOT CRYING, NO I CAN NOT DATE YOUR DAUGHTER, NO I WILL NOT PUT ON MY RED CAPE AND FLY ALL THE PACKAGES TO THEIR DESIGNATED STOPS SO I CAN BE IN THE BUILDING BEFORE 8!

Now for my question....Many people here on bc have told me to put my concerns in writing and give it to my center manager.......

A. Are their specific things that need to be put in the letter? What exactly will writing this letter accomplish?
B. Should i really not give a crap and tough it out for the next 2 weeks?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
tough it out.
Mgt loves to play head games. They enjoy hearing that you are not happy.
Starting telling them that you LOVE the work.

over9five

Staff member
tough it out.
Mgt loves to play head games. They enjoy hearing that you are not happy.
Starting telling them that you LOVE the work.

I have said a similar thing about overtime.
If you want overtime, act like you HATE it and they will give you more.
If you only want 8 hours, tell them how much you need overtime and they will give you none!

Don't write the center manager a letter.

wornoutupser

I have said a similar thing about overtime.
If you want overtime, act like you HATE it and they will give you more.
If you only want 8 hours, tell them how much you need overtime and they will give you none!

Don't write the center manager a letter.

Amen!
My entire building plays "the overtime game" and plays it well. You start on a bad dispatch, start griping heavily, get loud, then laugh as you drive out the door because you really wanted more OT for a while !

Dont want overtime? Start begging for it and give a reason that sounds legitimate. You get cut to the bone for a while. It is all reverse psychology!

stringerman85

This is compleatly freakin stupid. My first stop yesterday was a 48 piece bulk stop (shirts with college insigna on them) for a college building. Of course it would be a second floor delivery and of course it would be for a building that i could not park near. It seemed as i had to park a 1/4 mile from the stinking building i could only bring 6 boxes on the elevator at a time (not a service elevator). Took me almost an hour and screwed my whole day up. Called my sup and gave him the 411 on what was going on. You know that commercial that has the one employee and all the bosses are monkeys jumping around the office. Well this is what it felt like.

Going back to my orginal post, i can not wrap my head around this........ My diad tells me i have 85 packages for this college. But not how many stops and more IMPORTANTLY how many packages to deliver to each stop!!!! I feel as though as i am chasing my tail all day. Didnt get back to the building until 9:15 320 packages 136 stops took full hour luch:angry:

NOTE FOR THE HATERS OUT THERE: NO I AM NOT AFRAID OF A HARD DAYS WORK, NO I AM NOT CRYING, NO I CAN NOT DATE YOUR DAUGHTER, NO I WILL NOT PUT ON MY RED CAPE AND FLY ALL THE PACKAGES TO THEIR DESIGNATED STOPS SO I CAN BE IN THE BUILDING BEFORE 8!

Now for my question....Many people here on bc have told me to put my concerns in writing and give it to my center manager.......

A. Are their specific things that need to be put in the letter? What exactly will writing this letter accomplish?

An elevator, well at least you're not halling them up a bunch of steps :happy-very:

Seriously I really feel for ya...Is there that many packages for this school every day? Have you talked with other drivers who have covered this route and asked them how they handle it?

rod

Retired 22 years
The # 1 lesson to learn at UPS that has to do with hours worked is ---------------NEVER tell them you want off early:peaceful:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What keeps me sane at UPS is to adopt an attitude of passive indifference about the dispatch.

It is what it is. The contract states that we agree to work overtime as needed. It also states that we can file a grievance if we are continuously dispatched over 9.5 hrs, excluding peak season.

If you want your hours reduced, inform your management of this fact. If they fail to solve the problem, file a grievance and let the process work.

Your management made a business decision to provide delivery service to the college. In theory, your dispatch is supposed to accurately reflect the amount of time it takes to deliver the packages to the various buildings. If this isnt happening, its not your problem. Dont let it become your problem. You are just the messenger. If your management is not satisfied with your performance, it is their responsibility to demonstrate to you how they want the work done.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Is your management harrassing you or complaining about your job performance? If so, you need to document what it is about the load and the stop count that is causing you to fail to meet their expectations. If they have a problem, you are offering a solution. If they arent interested in actually solving the problem, then hopefully they will at least shut up and quit whining about it. By writing a letter, you can show that you are making a good-faith effort to work with them.

If you dont mind the overtime and feel like you can tough it out for 2 more weeks, then fine. That is your decision to make. Just remember that you werent put on this earth to make your management happy. Most sups are more than happy to bitch, whine and complain about your numbers from behind the safety of a desk in an air conditioned office....but when you ask them to actually put some browns on and demonstrate how to do the work out there in the real world, their priorities miraculously change.

leastbest

LeastBest
I don't understand what the problem is. One stop at a time. If a stop takes an hour, so be it. These things never affect my breaks or my lunch. If I'm going to be over 11 hours I send a message and it is then managements' problem.

Randy
www.leastbest.com

BrownSuit

It's a college town right? I know you mentioned before that it's spread out. Does the college have it's own PD or is it City Police?

If it is the college kids driving around in patrol cars, I would have just parked on the street in front of the building, thrown on the 4-ways and delivered the stop right there.

If somebody asks why you are blocking traffic and what you are doing, ask them if they want their shirts or not, you can always come back after and deliver them next week.

I'm envisioning from the many college campuses that I've been on that unless it is super-urban, that they likely could have gone around the package car.

For Bulk Stops, you might just have to do this.

Also I know we mentioned a Central Receiving before, even if it was addressed to such and such department at 57th floor, I might have asked the Receiving/Purchasing/Warehouse if they would just take it. The people on the 2nd floor are likely just as unhappy that you're bringing 40 some boxes to them.

BrownSuit

Also, it sounds like you are doing a good job and it doesn't sound like your Management Team is questioning anything, right? Just that your personally frustrated at how long this is taking.

This may just be one of those things that you have to do to earn your stripes like everybody else.

I wouldn't sweat it too much unless they are giving you grief for being over, which it sounds like they understand the dynamics.

There may be things with EDD that they can change so that life is easier on you or even work with the College on how they want things handled during the college "peak" time. Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much. It stinks for you, you likely don't care about the OT, but if I remember right you just have another two weeks left. You may just have to grin and bear it until then.

Just make sure you keep sending a message when stuff like this comes up so that you are being proactive with letting them know stuff's screwed up. They likely won't give it a second thought when you come from the day at 9. They may joke or say something off-hand (which really isn't appropriate, but . . .), unless they really "talk" to you about it, don't worry and just move on.

helenofcalifornia

You have two more weeks of this until the regular driver comes back? I agree with Leastbest. It is what it is. Don't take it personally when you come in late. You are trying and doing your best, that's what they should know.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
Thanks for the imput, helps a bunch. The college with central recieving they took off of me.

I wanted so badly to park in front of the building. It has one of those circular drives infront of it and I couldnt safely pull around it without leaving ruts in the grass.

Management has not told me nothing about anything concerning something. I have just been told from many old timers to cover my rear at all costs. My send agains have been off the charts. I have been in buildings that have no one in them at all (entire buildings)!!! For the past 2 wks people leaving early or just entire department shut down. Sheet them up as not in. But it adds up quickly. I can only walk around floor after floor screaming UPS for so long.

S

speeddemon

report an injury, then file for harrasment based on workload, and 9.5 after the third time. Keep good records of other drivers dispatch. You can make life hell for them, you just have to be creative.

cino321

Bro, 320 pieces and 130+ stops with a college, and you are back by 9:15, you are doing a great job. Enjoy the fact that you are on campus, flirt with every girl you see, all the secretaries, and have a good time.

You'll notice as a cover driver there are some routes that just cannot be done early. Some have late pick ups, etc. Every route is different. I mean you can start grieving over 9.5's, complaining about OT, but not for nothing, you'll get used to it.

I think Brownsuit is right, you might just have to earn your stripes like everyone else.

Don't worry about it, it's not your route and it'll be over soon. The following week you'll be screwed with another route no one else wants to do.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
I am not concerned about the hours i was just wondering if i should send a letter or not. consensus says no. I am full time what exactly is the difference between full time and cover driver anyway. Other than the fact that fulltime is guaranteed 40 hours.