Dishonest Pickups

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
For me it's really simple and easy.
My DIAD is a tool, an instrument for me to ACCURATELY record my days work.
Any time you fail to use this tool accurately, you are falsifying records.
If you're taking liberties, QUIT IT!!!!!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
So when you go to punch out you still have work in the board, which is what I said above.

I did this for the last four months until this week.
Had a Post Office close down, yet the pickup remained in my pickup log.
I told my management team a half a dozen times that it needed to be removed, to no avail.
I clocked out every night thereafter with the question, do you want to complete work in EDD.
My answer each time was no.

Use the DIAD as tool to record your movements, nothing more, nothing less.
If you choose not to complete a task in your dispatch, be prepared to explain yourself.

DorkHead

we fired a driver recently for doing just that, except he forgot to actually make the pickup, and then derped hard and admitted he did that to me when i asked him about why there were no pieces from that pickup (like usual)

What`s this "we" crap? You gotta mouse in your pocket? Don`t you really mean the center manager or OnCar Supervisor recently fired a driver for doing "just that". Clerk`s can`t fire employees.
Hmmmmmmn... that`s what I thought.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
What`s this "we" crap? You gotta mouse in your pocket? Don`t you really mean the center manager or OnCar Supervisor recently fired a driver for doing "just that". Clerk`s can`t fire employees.
Hmmmmmmn... that`s what I thought.

Hey, remember, he's a 'part-time bossman.':surprised:

Rider

As a utility driver I know of many pick ups on several of the areas I cover that are no longer shipping with ups. Some of the pick ups have been closed out for years. Management has been notified but they won't take them out of the diad for some reason. I always figured it had something to do with their stops per car. I guess I won't be stop completing them anymore after reading this thread. Thanks for the heads up!

iruhnman630

I am totally perplexed as to why some are so concerned about the +/- 15 compliance report they will risk dishonesty to meet it. It's just a stinking report, people!

Very few pickup customers really care about the commit time as long as the pickups are made before the place closes.

Make every effort to make the commit times, but the sun will definitely rise in the morning if you miss a +/-15 commit window but get the pickup done anyway.

DS

Fenderbender
As a utility driver I know of many pick ups on several of the areas I cover that are no longer shipping with ups. Some of the pick ups have been closed out for years. Management has been notified but they won't take them out of the diad for some reason. I always figured it had something to do with their stops per car. I guess I won't be stop completing them anymore after reading this thread. Thanks for the heads up!
Look at that! The browncafe fixed a problem .Cheers!

U

uber

I don't understand how its dishonest to stop complete a pickup not at the exact location. I have a lot of pickups where the customer puts a sign out that says UPS 'yes' or 'no'.

Were told to not record while traveling. Doesn't it make sense to stop complete that the next time you stop? Usually at the next pickup.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Couple thoughts:

Is insubordination something we can be disciplined for, because if it is and we choose not to comply with the +/- report, just as a new center manager who 'doesn't like your face' can get you for closing out pickups in other places, he could get you for refusing to 'work as directed', no. This is assuming, of course, the pickup log isn't jacked up, and/or you haven't done your due diligence and repeatedly ask for the time to be changed.

Funny story: Have a regularly scheduled OCA on Fridays-medical samples from a Planned Parenthood facility, NDA Sat delivery. The call was automatically scheduled by their corporate office, to be picked up only between 11am and noon. Problem was, the girls never had the pack ready at noon. They said they had called both their corporate office and ups numerous times to have the time fixed, but to no avail. I talked about the situation with my mgmt team, too; while "they looked into it", it was suggested I close out the stop and pick it up in trace, something the girls had already. said was ok.

After this went on for sometime I started getting msgs from the OMS soon after I closed the stop stating I couldn't just close the stop but had to pick it up by 12. A couple times I got these msgs despite not having taken any action on the stop at that time. I asked the girls if they had asked for this, but they said they hadn't. Nonetheless, since where the stop was closed was being tracked, I started to play by the rules. Led to me having some awful days on the report, plus my miles driven goes up. Dispatch sup wants to know what's up, especially since the guys who cover my route don't have these time issues. I explain how they close it out beforehand, but sometimes forget to actually make the pickup, and so I got the msgs from the OMS. The supe, however, couldn't fathom why I went so far out of the way, no matter how many times in the conversation I pointed out I was directed by the OMS not to close the stop early. He even said I made a stupid choice, for following the center's direction; better I go the dishonest route and explain myself later, rather than look awful on the report!

Now when I get those OCAs-they've recently added a Wed pickup, too-the commit time is 15:00, when the place actually closes. As an aside, it was later pointed out I should've called the center and ask for the time to be changed since I wouldn't make it on time. Nevermind the girls at Planned Parenthood and I had asked for a change numerous times, in vain, I will admit I forgot I could ask the OMS to change the time. I had become proficient at estimating when I'd be in a certain area; it had been years since I had to ask for a commit time to be changed.

Last edited:
S

serenity now

I don't understand how its dishonest to stop complete a pickup not at the exact location. I have a lot of pickups where the customer puts a sign out that says UPS 'yes' or 'no'.

Were told to not record while traveling. Doesn't it make sense to stop complete that the next time you stop? Usually at the next pickup.

when you can read the yes/no sign, stop, kill the engine, set E brake, pop the buckle on your seat belt (didn't even think about that one,did you) and then stop complete * then you are off and running again * your customer will probably wonder what in the hell you are doing *

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Better yet, don't use the "sign system". Shippers pay $20/week to see our smiling faces----go in and actually make the pickup. I would hate to be the driver trying to explain a missed pickup concern by using the "they had the sign out" excuse.

CharleyHustle

Better yet, don't use the "sign system".

I have a pick up the runs on a shoe string, very understaffed and very busy. They lock their door, and the only way in is to ring a buzzer. They put a sign out if they don't have anything to go and and if you ring the buzzer when the sign is out, they ask if you have the number for FedEx.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As a young driver I got burned by a pickup that used the sign system. I drove by, saw the "No UPS", and kept going. They had a last minute shipment, flipped the sign to "Yes" and called in a concern when I missed the pickup. Never again.

S

serenity now

Better yet, don't use the "sign system". Shippers pay $20/week to see our smiling faces----go in and actually make the pickup. I would hate to be the driver trying to explain a missed pickup concern by using the "they had the sign out" excuse.

AGREE * let's say pretty miss susan always handles sign duty * Tuesday she puts the NO sign in the window * Wednesday she is sick and everybody is busy; no one thinks about the sign * you drive past and guess what? *
50 lb. EAM sitting on the outbound table * always best to go look

now, if a customer calls you or waves you off then you have made contact that day

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I have a pick up the runs on a shoe string, very understaffed and very busy. They lock their door, and the only way in is to ring a buzzer. They put a sign out if they don't have anything to go and and if you ring the buzzer when the sign is out, they ask if you have the number for FedEx.

This is where UPS's newer technogies and software can be used to cover your ass.
There is something I think they call CPAD where they can put notes in your DIAD for individual stops or pickups.
Inform your center manager of the situation there and ask for approval to do it "their" way and for that to be reflected in the pickup info in your DIAD.
That puts the responsibility on the center manager if something goes missed.
If center manager says no, don't do it.
CYA!!!!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I agree with switching them over to a smart p/u----I have 3 of those; however, I don't agree with you when you say "don't stop complete". The customer gets charged whether you are there or not---$20/week (sliding scale). What do you when you punch out and it says you still have work in EDD?
No. When the diad asks to complete EDD, I say no. I have always done that and I have never been questioned on it. I wasn't there, I don't stop complete. There is no falsifying in that and like I said, I've never been told otherwise. As far as the charging - I was told otherwise but like with UPS on a whole, everything is different everywhere.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I am totally perplexed as to why some are so concerned about the +/- 15 compliance report they will risk dishonesty to meet it. It's just a stinking report, people!

Very few pickup customers really care about the commit time as long as the pickups are made before the place closes.

Make every effort to make the commit times, but the sun will definitely rise in the morning if you miss a +/-15 commit window but get the pickup done anyway.
You are probably write that most customers don't care about their pickup time. BUT, there are those that do and run their shipping dept according to that time. For the rest, it's about appearances on our part. I run my PU's at or near 100% compliance everyday. In part, it keeps on track and lets me know where I am at during the day. Am I ahead or behind schedule? Yesterday I was WAY WAY behind. That's why I had 150 miles yesterday.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
when you can read the yes/no sign, stop, kill the engine, set E brake, pop the buckle on your seat belt (didn't even think about that one,did you) and then stop complete * then you are off and running again * your customer will probably wonder what in the hell you are doing *
Ding ding ding Winner winner - chicken dinner!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
As a young driver I got burned by a pickup that used the sign system. I drove by, saw the "No UPS", and kept going. They had a last minute shipment, flipped the sign to "Yes" and called in a concern when I missed the pickup. Never again.
Yep, been burned by that one too. :happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No. When the diad asks to complete EDD, I say no. I have always done that and I have never been questioned on it. I wasn't there, I don't stop complete. There is no falsifying in that and like I said, I've never been told otherwise. As far as the charging - I was told otherwise but like with UPS on a whole, everything is different everywhere.

Pickup customers are charged on a weekly basis and whether you complete the pickup stop or not does not impact their billing.