Dispatch Pay

Guitarman01

Do Dispatchers make more than couriers? Would it be like swing pay or more? Whats their pay scale like?
Are they on a step plan too lol?
Anyone have any insight what their job and hours are like?
Ive seen some postings, was wondering if it would be worth applying or maybe be a better long term solution than driving for 25 years.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Do Dispatchers make more than couriers? Would it be like swing pay or more? Whats their pay scale like?
Ive seen some postings, was wondering if it would be worth applying or maybe be a better long term solution than driving for 25 years.
I’m pretty sure they make what swing drivers make, or they used to. I don’t know about their step plan. Their hours depend on what is needed. They’re either AM or PM. No overtime without management approval. It’s a much better solution than driving 25 years. It’s an interview position.

MassWineGuy

Other than no OT and sitting at screen all day, it’s better than driving. Our dispatch used to be in a town about 30 minutes away. Now it’s over an hour away.

AB831

Our dispatchers did absolutely nothing but argue with couriers and cause service failures. They’d assign pickups to people three routes away and then argue when you’d send a message over to tell them which route to send it to. There were times where the customer would tell me they had no pickups going out that day, and dispatch would create an “on call” for the same stop and tell me the customer called them only for the customer to tell me they had no idea what they were talking about when I returned.

!Retired!

Same pay as swing drivers. If you don't mind sitting in a stuffy cubicle, seeing the same people all day every day, staring at a screen, having managers come and look over your shoulder etc etc......then the job is perfect

Guitarman01

Yeah, if its the same pay as swing drivers thats not too motivating, plus id have to commute or relocate as well.
If you don't mind sitting in a stuffy cubicle, seeing the same people all day every day, staring at a screen, having managers come and look over your shoulder etc etc......then the job is perfect
Lol this could probably qualify for alot of jobs outside of driving. You do get used to the sort of freedom of being a driver though and being on your own all day. Going back to something more regular might be an adjustment but might be easier or less risk in the long term. The thing is you could invest 10 years in being a driver, which I wouldnt say is easy, but at the same time a person never acquired any skills outside of driving and thats how they lock you in.

Commercial Inside Release

get used to the sort of freedom of being a driver though and being on your own all day.
Only true for UPS lifers. There's far more freedom at other jobs, and especially if you are self employed. UPS tracks you in a variety of ways, harasses you into compliance, and even spends quite a bit of money to follow you around and spy on you.

btrlov

Dispatchers have the same pay as a swing. What every ur step is now... it will transfer into the equivalent level. If ur a swing now ur pay will not change unless u change market levels (lower or higher cost location). The rumors that Dispatchers automatically go to "top pay" or u are "set for life" is not true. U simply move from a physical labor-intensive job to a mentally intensive job. If u can handle the job, then u likely can handle being an ops manager

Selections start with workday and then a Packet that’s given to u about ur job history and "what would u do, how would u handle" type questions. U fill out the packet, return it and then the dispatch manager selects who to interview. The interview would be a panel of managers/ senior dispatchers or managers or some other variation. They will "score" your responses and set up an offer letter.

The offer will detail work hours and days off and of course put in an open-ended clause of "operational needs". U will get some wacky hours, Saturdays and split days off or u might get a set schedule with weekends off- all depends. U will be a "floater" with no set station or sch or u will have a set station.

The day will consist of:

• Answering passive aggressive emails from managers about some indices ("the numbers") or work place issue. Because they are not in operations, Dispatch managers have more time to "nitpick" things that an ops manager probably would not bother with. So, outside the dispatch job function, expect the be bothered with other issues as well-which will be mildly irritating dep on ur personality type.
  • Answering passive aggressive emails and phone calls from sale/customer service reps about some stop that was not picked up and to address the issue. Answering for drivers for whom u have no control of and probably have never seen, is where the mental stress starts.
  • Not Answering Emails because u will not read it and its most likely irrelevant nonsense.
  • Assigning daily on call stops to routes according to a spreadsheet, memory, or a Route Map
  • Getting Fat from more calorie consumption from boredom and mental stress and less physical activity.
  • Taking a mandatory unpaid 1hr lunch trying not to spend all ur money on local vendors. And u better take lunch when they want and on time... because lunch is big deal in dispatch and ppl have more time to nitpick ur lunch time too.
  • Having dispatch managers trying to be friendly but they are just spying on u and checking on Ur productivity.
  • Hearing office Gossip or Participating in it or both.
  • Taking "unscheduled breaks" or watching others do so or both.
  • Updating stops with very unrealistic closing times.
  • Trying not to update stops with very realistic closing times.
  • Calling Mangers because some driver is not cooperating or decided not to sign in.
  • Filling in ur time with Holiday Calls so the station can save hours by canceling pickups …. Even though the dispatcher will have to answer the flurry of angry missed pickup phone calls after the holiday. Repeat the process.
  • Calling tow truck companies… and then the driver magically gets the truck started.
  • Calling Customers because the driver doesn’t feel nor are they required to do so -even if it’s more efficient for the driver to call themselves.
  • Counseling drivers that call in with various complaints.
  • PM managers will come in and call the dispatcher and start moving pickups around because X ppl called out or they don’t fell like paying the hours, or some driver has to leave early, or they are doing some driver a favor etc etc. They will often stick stops on the driver, not warn them and then use dispatch as a buffer- because the driver will think dispatch magically and maliciously gave them extra work. The driver will be pissed off and u will have to diffuse it with the manager and let the driver know that their own management team gave them extra work out their area.
  • The AM managers will try to shift stops to the PM, so they can go home and not have to worry about am driver getting too many hours or hitting HOS. They will screw over of the PM managers and vice versa, and hopefully come to a happy medium.
  • Drivers will ask for "more time" or just pretend to go to the stops and not go at all or just go at a different time frame than listed on LEO- which will lead to more angry calls from sales, customers and the call center.
  • Drivers will state a stop is "not mine" cause u dont know what ur doing or the drivers have made deals amongst themselves to swap stops outide the scope of the route.
  • Dispatch Mangers will attempt to hold u accountable for driver lates and missed pickups. Station manager will try to blame u assigning the wrong stops at the wrong time. Give them the answers they wanna hear..or blame shift… don’t worry they do it too
  • Don’t go over your hours...because they treat u like some hourly/management hybrid despite it being likely unethical for them to do so.
  • And a lot more nonsense….

Last edited:

Serf

Dispatch is in the same pay scale as RTD.
Below it is Courier.
Then Shuttle Driver/Team Leader/DG Agent
Then Handler

AB831

Dispatchers have the same pay as a swing. What every ur step is now... it will transfer into the equivalent level. If ur a swing now ur pay will not change unless u change market levels (lower or higher cost location). The rumors that Dispatchers automatically go to "top pay" or u are "set for life" is not true. U simply move from a physical labor-intensive job to a mentally intensive job. If u can handle the job, then u likely can handle being an ops manager

Selections start with workday and then a Packet that’s given to u about ur job history and "what would u do, how would u handle" type questions. U fill out the packet, return it and then the dispatch manager selects who to interview. The interview would be a panel of managers/ senior dispatchers or managers or some other variation. They will "score" your responses and set up an offer letter.

The offer will detail work hours and days off and of course put in an open-ended clause of "operational needs". U will get some wacky hours, Saturdays and split days off or u might get a set schedule with weekends off- all depends. U will be a "floater" with no set station or sch or u will have a set station.

The day will consist of:

• Answering passive aggressive emails from managers about some indices ("the numbers") or work place issue. Because they are not in operations, Dispatch managers have more time to "nitpick" things that an ops manager probably would not bother with. So, outside the dispatch job function, expect the be bothered with other issues as well-which will be mildly irritating dep on ur personality type.
  • Answering passive aggressive emails and phone calls from sale/customer service reps about some stop that was not picked up and to address the issue. Answering for drivers for whom u have no control of and probably have never seen, is where the mental stress starts.
  • Not Answering Emails because u will not read it and its most likely irrelevant nonsense.
  • Assigning daily on call stops to routes according to a spreadsheet, memory, or a Route Map
  • Getting Fat from more calorie consumption from boredom and mental stress and less physical activity.
  • Taking a mandatory unpaid 1hr lunch trying not to spend all ur money on local vendors. And u better take lunch when they want and on time... because lunch is big deal in dispatch and ppl have more time to nitpick ur lunch time too.
  • Having dispatch managers trying to be friendly but they are just spying on u and checking on Ur productivity.
  • Hearing office Gossip or Participating in it or both.
  • Taking "unscheduled breaks" or watching others do so or both.
  • Updating stops with very unrealistic closing times.
  • Trying not to update stops with very realistic closing times.
  • Calling Mangers because some driver is not cooperating or decided not to sign in.
  • Filling in ur time with Holiday Calls so the station can save hours by canceling pickups …. Even though the dispatcher will have to answer the flurry of angry missed pickup phone calls after the holiday. Repeat the process.
  • Calling tow truck companies… and then the driver magically gets the truck started.
  • Calling Customers because the driver doesn’t feel nor are they required to do so -even if it’s more efficient for the driver to call themselves.
  • Counseling drivers that call in with various complaints.
  • PM managers will come in and call the dispatcher and start moving pickups around because X ppl called out or they don’t fell like paying the hours, or some driver has to leave early, or they are doing some driver a favor etc etc. They will often stick stops on the driver, not warn them and then use dispatch as a buffer- because the driver will think dispatch magically and maliciously gave them extra work. The driver will be pissed off and u will have to diffuse it with the manager and let the driver know that their own management team gave them extra work out their area.
  • The AM managers will try to shift stops to the PM, so they can go home and not have to worry about am driver getting too many hours or hitting HOS. They will screw over of the PM managers and vice versa, and hopefully come to a happy medium.
  • Drivers will ask for "more time" or just pretend to go to the stops and not go at all or just go at a different time frame than listed on LEO- which will lead to more angry calls from sales, customers and the call center.
  • Drivers will state a stop is "not mine" cause u dont know what ur doing or the drivers have made deals amongst themselves to swap stops outide the scope of the route.
  • Dispatch Mangers will attempt to hold u accountable for driver lates and missed pickups. Station manager will try to blame u assigning the wrong stops at the wrong time. Give them the answers they wanna hear..or blame shift… don’t worry they do it too
  • Don’t go over your hours...because they treat u like some hourly/management hybrid despite it being likely unethical for them to do so.
  • And a lot more nonsense….
Sounds great. Sign me up

!Retired!

Yeah, if its the same pay as swing drivers thats not too motivating, plus id have to commute or relocate as well.

Lol this could probably qualify for alot of jobs outside of driving. You do get used to the sort of freedom of being a driver though and being on your own all day. Going back to something more regular might be an adjustment but might be easier or less risk in the long term. The thing is you could invest 10 years in being a driver, which I wouldnt say is easy, but at the same time a person never acquired any skills outside of driving and thats how they lock you in.
I interviewed for dispatch a couple of years back. I really wasn't prepared, but I'm glad now I didn't get it. My body was telling me it was time to come off the road. Ended up retiring at 55.5, even though I wasn't 100% ready, my wife and I made it work.
UPS tracks you in a variety of ways, harasses you into compliance, and even spends quite a bit of money to follow you around and spy on you.
I've spoken to UPS drivers in the past. After seeing couriers responses when they put a camera in the trucks. I can only imagine what they would say if FedEx installed the same system UPS has.

Guitarman01

I interviewed for dispatch a couple of years back. I really wasn't prepared, but I'm glad now I didn't get it. My body was telling me it was time to come off the road. Ended up retiring at 55.5, even though I wasn't 100% ready, my wife and I made it work.

I've spoken to UPS drivers in the past. After seeing couriers responses when they put a camera in the trucks. I can only imagine what they would say if FedEx installed the same system UPS has.
I interviewed for swing initially, glad I didnt get that as well. Worked out better.
My camera doesnt work thankfully lol.

Guitarman01

Never heard of swings having to interview.
I mean when I first applied to FedEx. I reapplied later on for midday. Swing they lock you in for 2 years? Midday was 6 months. I got off midday B4 winter hit. Worked out pretty good. I still question the long term grind of driving for 25 years. It's easier to picture in just the right climate, Northern winter's not so much.

dezguy

Never heard of swings having to interview.
They used to interview for it up here. I applied a couple times just to get some easy OT and interview. Managers knew what I was doing so the interviews usually were about what I was up to that weekend.

They did throw me a curveball one time and actually offered me the position. Probably figured I would stop applying. Month and a half later another senior position came up and I applied for it. The station got a good laugh out of that.

Now, they're hiring kids with less than 6 months in, without an interview. They can't keep anyone in that position for any amount of time. Either they take an open FT route, when it comes up or they got off on std or ltd.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I was a swing three times and never had to interview. Maybe they do it differently at different stations.
Swing IS an interview position. The prerequisite interview is used to preemptively eliminate applicants that the managers don't want, for whatever reason. Eliminates seniority candidates who have previously been problem children.

Nolimitz

Swing IS an interview position. The prerequisite interview is used to preemptively eliminate applicants that the managers don't want, for whatever reason. Eliminates seniority candidates who have previously been problem children.
Not here, recently (past 5 years) All FT new hires started as swings weather they liked it or not.