disqualified and hoping to try again

Hello all. I was a recent hire for UPS and got thrown into the driver seat for a 30-day trial. I hated it at first. Mostly because I was in a Uhaul and it was hard to be fast and find packages. I did however start to get faster and faster and started to enjoy it. I would occasionally get new apartment complexes on my route which I found annoying because it felt very difficult to get ahead with the constantly changing route but anyway I still did my best.

Long story short, on day 23 I was in an apt complex and moved over so a car could pass me as I was looking for an apartment and the top of the Uhaul hit an awning and dented it pretty good. I got out and looked and called my supervisor who met me and told me to take the truck back to the hub. I was disqualified and am now back to the local sort (ugh).

I was told that I can try again in about 6 months but I also have a fear that maybe I won't get the chance again? Has anyone here gone through this? Is it reasonable for me to have faith that I will get another shot in about 6 months?

I feel that since I have started at UPS I have never really gotten great information from anyone and hear differing opinions about things all the time and never really know what to count on. If they generally stick to their word and policies I guess I can hope that my name will still be on the list and in 6 months I will get another chance and I will be used to driving enough that I can knock it out of the park but also maybe they won't call me and I will never hear from them again?

Any tips/opinions/suggestions would be great. (also not looking for negativity. I know that hitting the awning was stupid and don't need to hear more bout that)

THanks!

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
It used to be 1 year after a DQ but got reduced to 6 months with the new contract so you heard correct. As far as advice goes just learn from your mistake, don’t rush, and be aware of your surroundings. I smacked a basketball hoop rim in the PC when I was looking for an address one time but I was going slow enough that it didn’t damage the rim or the PC. It happens.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hello all. I was a recent hire for UPS and got thrown into the driver seat for a 30-day trial. I hated it at first. Mostly because I was in a Uhaul and it was hard to be fast and find packages. I did however start to get faster and faster and started to enjoy it. I would occasionally get new apartment complexes on my route which I found annoying because it felt very difficult to get ahead with the constantly changing route but anyway I still did my best.

Long story short, on day 23 I was in an apt complex and moved over so a car could pass me as I was looking for an apartment and the top of the Uhaul hit an awning and dented it pretty good. I got out and looked and called my supervisor who met me and told me to take the truck back to the hub. I was disqualified and am now back to the local sort (ugh).

I was told that I can try again in about 6 months but I also have a fear that maybe I won't get the chance again? Has anyone here gone through this? Is it reasonable for me to have faith that I will get another shot in about 6 months?

I feel that since I have started at UPS I have never really gotten great information from anyone and hear differing opinions about things all the time and never really know what to count on. If they generally stick to their word and policies I guess I can hope that my name will still be on the list and in 6 months I will get another chance and I will be used to driving enough that I can knock it out of the park but also maybe they won't call me and I will never hear from them again?

Any tips/opinions/suggestions would be great. (also not looking for negativity. I know that hitting the awning was stupid and don't need to hear more bout that)

THanks!

How many attempts to qualify do you think you need

pkgdriver

THanks!
If you are trying to qualify you shouldnt be in a Uhaul and the route shouldnt change drastically.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
As much as it sux,you did the right thing by reporting it. Had you not reported it you'd have been terminated. I'm betting the call to DQ came from higher up. Use this as a learning experience,we ALL been there

JJinVA

Next time, choose to hit the car instead. A person can be murdered and cut up in a wood chipper and fed to starving alligators never to report the accident. Gotta use your head on these things.

As much as it sux,you did the right thing by reporting it. Had you not reported it you'd have been terminated. I'm betting the call to DQ came from higher up. Use this as a learning experience,we ALL been there
thanks and yeah I am glad I did that cuz I at least have a job and a hope of being called back. Do they stick to the 6month rule prettty tightly?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
thanks and yeah I am glad I did that cuz I at least have a job and a hope of being called back. Do they stick to the 6month rule prettty tightly?

Just make sure your name is still on the list, if you have a list. Otherwise, whether you get another shot in 6 months or not depends on whether there are any openings at the time.

Shiftless

Lets get this straight?

Trained to drive & deliver.

While driving he hits the u-haul on an awning.

Which supervision says disqualifies him as a driver. Yet he is told this " I got out and looked and called my supervisor who met me and told me to take the truck back to the hub."

Apparently he is qualified enough to drive the truck back to the building so he can be disqualified as a driver of said truck?????

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
If volume stays high they will in all likelihood waive the 6 month rule.
I’ve also seen them use people in similar situations once the free period begins again. The catch is they won’t allow them to make seniority. They will force you back to the local sort again once the free period ends after peak. I tell guys all the time not to drive again until you are going for seniority. If you get in another accident then the six months restarts again. Your BA may be able to cut a deal if the union knows they are approaching members to drive that have been DQ’d in less than six months. Make sure you keep your driver steward and BA in the loop.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
no they didnt but the apt management did show up while I was with my supervisor so I am sure it went on a record somewhere. However I did not fill out anything myself
Then they swept it under the rug and didn't report it as an accident. You are able to try again as soon as possible. Sign every bid. Get on every list.

JJinVA

We had a driver get into an accident (pretty decent one, did alot of property damage), in his first 30 days, and was driving again 2 days later. Not really sure how that worked out but I do know that its gonna be brought up ALOT if anyone else gets charged with an accident... Though I suspect that they told him that theyll give him another shot to qualify, will use him for 30 days, and then tell him he got DQ'd, just to get some more deliveries out of him before they cut him loose. At least make their money back for the time/money invested in training him.