district managers

3peaks

wicked GT05
hey you'll..... on average how many hours a week do the district managers work where you are located?:crying:
I can't believe you put district manager and ''work" in the same sentance:lol: ha...ha...ha..sorry I just wanted to be the first to say that......really tho I have no idea:confused:1

HazMatMan

Isn't your district manager the one who signs your check?? I have a division manager that probably comes in at 3:00 a.m. or 3:30 a.m. and leaves maybe 1:30 p.m. or 2:00 p.m.

trickpony1

Isn't your district manager the one who signs your check?? I have a division manager that probably comes in at 3:00 a.m. or 3:30 a.m. and leaves maybe 1:30 p.m. or 2:00 p.m.

........that's why the division manager makes a whole bunch more money than you.

rod

Retired 22 years
OK everybody off the internet and back to work! I'm the only one who gets to screw off all day.

island1fox

:cool: Geo,
I know many of the responses on this board are just in good fun. But I will attempt to give you a very serious answer. This is not to say that the following description fits all District Mgrs --but I am sure it is the majority of them.
The District mgr --is where "the buck stops here" The District manager is responsible for all aspects of the Balanced Scorecard. Each month they are ranked by Corporate from Best to least best. Each region ranks their districts best to least best ------ As a District Manager --you do not want to be on the bottom of these rankings. At the monthly Balanced scorecard reviews the District mgr is asked to answer in detail ---Volume loss or gain by product --rev per pc --by product --Cost, Safety, Production , service, Hub, Feeder, Air --hundreds of sererate elements-----At many of these reviews Corporate and Region fully expect the District mgr to answer rather than the staff---especially if the district has a poor ranking. After the reviews there are usually private reviews and more questions with just the DM in his or hers offfice. Also when you see them either arriving late or leaving early from their office ---do not take for granted that they are going home ----Many DM'S have numerous builings and operations --They have to "go look" to really see what is happening in many of their operations. A good DM will not be afraid to go out and talk with drivers,part-timers,admins,union officials. District mgrs are also involved with visiting customers,government officials and various community organizations. They are "on the clock" 24 --7. None of them are crying about it --they get paid big bucks ---but if anyone thinks that any job in UPS is a "cakewalk" ----you are just uniformed.
Again not crying for them but consider this: Just about every three years you are assigned a different district. Not just the DM --but his or her family --sell home ,move, new schools, leave old friends, child problems . District can be East, West, North ,South or in any different country ----they have no choices ---it is not like bidding on a route. When a DM is transferred they start work in the new district --the next day --family gets 3 months to make the entire move ---DM'S and families spend many lonely nights,weekends,holidays,childrens or spouse birthdays alone.
I know there will be some negative responses to this post because many people like to judge without having all the facts. Also I am not asking for people to shed any tears over this post ---it is just reality --District mgrs -- drivers --parttimers --etc -- just most people trying to do the best in life for themselves and their families with much hard work and sacrafice ---along with pay and benefits whatever job you do . Bottom line --You do not have to be concerned with a DM'S hours. GEO ---Sincerly I hoped this answer helps and you do not take it the wrong way.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Island.....a lot of your description fits a Div. Mgr. too. You are right on with your description!

Thanks for posting that!

good2me

Well said.....I learned a LONG time ago that there are no easy jobs at UPS. This is the real strength of our Company.... People, for the most part work HARD! Are there employees, non-management and management alike that display laziness? ABSOLUTELY! But the absolute vast majority of UPSers work hard, play hard and earn everything that they have! Sometimes I think people forget that at the end of the day, we're all just working hard to do the best we can for our families and for our Company.

Channahon

Well said.....I learned a LONG time ago that there are no easy jobs at UPS. This is the real strength of our Company.... People, for the most part work HARD! Are there employees, non-management and management alike that display laziness? ABSOLUTELY! But the absolute vast majority of UPSers work hard, play hard and earn everything that they have! Sometimes I think people forget that at the end of the day, we're all just working hard to do the best we can for our families and for our Company.
And when the final day comes for your retirement, you will be smiling from ear to ear. To have a lifestyle where you don't have to rush for anything, be anywhere and take your time is quite the adjustment. An easy one at that, at least for me. We made sacrifices over the years, and now it's time to enjoy life,family, activities without a schedule to follow. Vacation for the rest of your life!!!!!!!!!

tieguy

Banned
hey you'll..... on average how many hours a week do the district managers work where you are located?:crying:

while I would love to have the money a district manager makes i would not want the job. You're never off the clock especially with the invention of the cell phone.

A

Another Driver

I would love it if a district manager or division manager came to talk with the "little people" to see how things really run. I mean, come on, when a Division manager or other bigwig from Atlanta comes through, the place is :censored2: and span, extra drivers on the road, no loose packages to be found in the building. Does the Div. Man. or Atlanta people really think this is the way the building looks when they are not there? If they really want to know how things are run, ask a part timer or a full timer. Lots of ideas on improvements starting at the ground level would be discovered by management. Lots of ways to build UPS back up.

willie

I too am also a Retired UPS'er. I was in Management for 26 years and I know what a District and Division Mgr goes through during his or her career. As was said in a previous post they are never off the clock. They also have to travel and are moved all over the place to make sure that no matter where you go UPS is the same.

As the driver or Hub person is working these people are answering for all that is wrong in the district and the other part of their day is spent training the people under them to take their places. I have been in the position of moving my family many times around the country, changing schools and dealing with the (Dad I don't want to go) problems. Some Mgr's handle it better than others and are successful at home, but others fail as do the marriages of drivers and others in UPS.

I would not expect the hourly to understand what they go through, when they are not in their shoes.

The people in Corporate know what the district looks like when they show up. They have all been there, and that is what is so great about UPS. No outside people who have never been in the shoes of the driver or Hub worker work for this great company.

satellitedriver

:cool: Geo,
I know many of the responses on this board are just in good fun. But I will attempt to give you a very serious answer. This is not to say that the following description fits all District Mgrs --but I am sure it is the majority of them.
The District mgr --is where "the buck stops here" The District manager is responsible for all aspects of the Balanced Scorecard. Each month they are ranked by Corporate from Best to least best. Each region ranks their districts best to least best ------ As a District Manager --you do not want to be on the bottom of these rankings. At the monthly Balanced scorecard reviews the District mgr is asked to answer in detail ---Volume loss or gain by product --rev per pc --by product --Cost, Safety, Production , service, Hub, Feeder, Air --hundreds of sererate elements-----At many of these reviews Corporate and Region fully expect the District mgr to answer rather than the staff---especially if the district has a poor ranking. After the reviews there are usually private reviews and more questions with just the DM in his or hers offfice. Also when you see them either arriving late or leaving early from their office ---do not take for granted that they are going home ----Many DM'S have numerous builings and operations --They have to "go look" to really see what is happening in many of their operations. A good DM will not be afraid to go out and talk with drivers,part-timers,admins,union officials. District mgrs are also involved with visiting customers,government officials and various community organizations. They are "on the clock" 24 --7. None of them are crying about it --they get paid big bucks ---but if anyone thinks that any job in UPS is a "cakewalk" ----you are just uniformed.
Again not crying for them but consider this: Just about every three years you are assigned a different district. Not just the DM --but his or her family --sell home ,move, new schools, leave old friends, child problems . District can be East, West, North ,South or in any different country ----they have no choices ---it is not like bidding on a route. When a DM is transferred they start work in the new district --the next day --family gets 3 months to make the entire move ---DM'S and families spend many lonely nights,weekends,holidays,childrens or spouse birthdays alone.
I know there will be some negative responses to this post because many people like to judge without having all the facts. Also I am not asking for people to shed any tears over this post ---it is just reality --District mgrs -- drivers --parttimers --etc -- just most people trying to do the best in life for themselves and their families with much hard work and sacrafice ---along with pay and benefits whatever job you do . Bottom line --You do not have to be concerned with a DM'S hours. GEO ---Sincerly I hoped this answer helps and you do not take it the wrong way.
Your post is the exact reason I turned down a management position decades ago. Having seen a sup get a phone call on friday at 5 pm being told his new position is 200 miles away and to report early Monday, when he hung up the phone and told me what just happened to him I asked him ,"What about your family?" his only response was that his wife had to quit her job and the kids had to change schools. A lightbulb went off over my head. Three days later, I had to lock the door in my center managers office while he had a nervous breakdown. We talked for about an hour while drivers were knocking on the door to ask him a question. He resigned that week. I was approached to go into management, soon after. I declined. I was a seasonal employee and decided then that if I made fulltime I would just stay a driver.
20 years later, I am still just a driver. Living on the same 20 acres that I still call home.
I have seen come and go.
6 division managers
13 center managers
Alot of on road sups, never keep count of them. Quessing about 20.
I felt I would be selling my soul and my life if I went into management.
People post why doesn't UPS stock grow more.
The analysts I have read sight high employee turnover rate.
I will just be a driver until my body cannot do the job or when my wife tells me it is time to sit the box down and step away.

browniehound

Island, nice post. Although I knew district managers had huge responsibilties, I never knew the specifics of their world. If you don't have a family it appears you can excel at the job.

Think about how difficult it is for an 11-year old to make friends every 3-years. Adolesence is a very difficult time for anyone, never mind having to move every 3 years. I really feel for the young children of UPS district managers and wish them well!

govols019

You smell that?
I miss the time when a center manager could actually make a decision without having to ask for permission from higher up.

It's hard to run a center when your hands are tied.