Dividend For 2012

Six Sides

Any thoughts on what the dividend increase will be for 2012? From $2.08 to $2.28 on the low side to $2.49 on the high side, my guesstimate.

BURMDPsupe

I can't see an increase greater than $0.05 per share for 2012; so $2.20 sounds about right. Since 2000, no increase greater than $0.05 per share and I don't think the board will do anything drastic this year (seem to be conservative).

M-

klein

Für Meno :)
I wouldn't doubt one little bit, if China creates it's own worldwide Logistics company.
Their economy is somewhat shrinking with less demand from Europe and the USA.
They could easily stick in a few trillion and start their own.
America and Germany used to be the largest exporters of the world.
And what followed was UPS, Fedex and DHL.
Why should China be any different ?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I wouldn't doubt one little bit, if China creates it's own worldwide Logistics company.
Their economy is somewhat shrinking with less demand from Europe and the USA.
They could easily stick in a few trillion and start their own.
America and Germany used to be the largest exporters of the world.
And what followed was UPS, Fedex and DHL.
Why should China be any different ?

And that's your thought on dividends for 2012 ??

klein

Für Meno :)
I work with someone like this ... we just look at him with arched eyebrows and think WTF?

It's because most of you can't read between the lines, or even hear between the ears.
Thinking TOS was a She, even though on a few threads he mentioned himself as a he.

What do you think the dividend increase will be at near 0 interest rates ?
Lucky to get any !

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's because most of you can't read between the lines, or even hear between the ears.
Thinking TOS was a She, even though on a few threads he mentioned himself as a he.

What do you think the dividend increase will be at near 0 interest rates ?
Lucky to get any !

This is a site about UPS and it's employees.
This thread is about dividends of UPS stock.
It will be somewhere between $2.08 and $2.40 mostly likely regardless of what the interest rates are ... where ever.

Dude ... most of us or maybe all of us don't want to read between your lines or what's between you ears.
Mostly we just find you amusing ... although a bit irritating. Sort of my drunken Uncle, God bless his soul.

Carry on.

sosocal

7 cent increase is my guess - Hoax I am curious about your guess for MIP...Whether it comes close or not I have always liked your insight and opinion...mmostly because.. The postings on this site are your own and don't necessarily represent UPS's positions, strategies or opinions.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
7 cent increase is my guess - Hoax I am curious about your guess for MIP...Whether it comes close or not I have always liked your insight and opinion...mostly because.. The postings on this site are your own and don't necessarily represent UPS's positions, strategies or opinions.

No insight ... just deductive logic.
I have, ever since UPS went public, have said that UPS is positioning our stock incorrectly.
In my mind, UPS Stock should be positioned similar to a "Utility" stock which means slow but increasing growth, not as sensitive to the stock market up-and-downs and dividend yields in the area of 3% - 4%.
UPS yield has been sub-3% for years but has been creeping up to 3% (currently 2.8%).
The last quarterly dividend was $0.52 or $2.08 annual.

If the price of a share of stock settles around $80/ share then a 3% yield will be $2.40 share.

I have no insight or insider knowledge about how UPS is positioning the stock but I believe they are becoming resigned that UPS is not a "Growth" stock.

I have much of my stock investments in a mix of the following stocks:
Ticker Company Dvd
--- ------ -----
T AT&T 5.8%
MO Altria Group 5.7%
VZ Verizon 5.0%
LLY Eli Lilly 4.7%
DUK Duke Energy 4.6%
MRK Merck & Co 4.4%
SO Southern Co 4.2%
PFE Pfizer 4.0%
ED Consolidated Edison 4.0%
PM Philip Morris Int'l 3.9%
BMY Bristol-Myers Squibb 3.9%
KMB Kimberly-Clark 3.8%
XEL Xcel Energy 3.8%
JNJ Johnson & Johnson 3.5%
K Kellogg 3.4%
ABT Abbott Laboratories 3.4%
PG Procter & Gamble 3.1%
PEP PepsiCo 3.1%
GIS General Mills 3.0%
MCD McDonald's 2.8%

These stocks all have dividends at or above 3.0% (MCD fell below 3% because it increased in price per share)
They also have a historical beta of less than .85 (beta is a measure of volatility in relation to an index - in this case S&P)
These companies are large cap of at least $10 B market value.

I feel that UPS is on PAR with these other companies with $75 B Market Cap, .83 beta and 2.8% Yield.

Now ... with all that laid out - I feel UPS will try and get UPS up to 3% yield (on a consistent basis) and that is why I said $2.40 for the year.

Six Sides

Excellent logic HOAX, and a well diverse portfolio of income producing stocks if I may say. The BOD controls the dividend and the market the price of stock. The BOD needs to move in the direction of a 4 to 5 percent dividend. Thus creating demand for the stock as a high end income producing stock. The current 2.8 dividend is looked at as a fair dividend with a strong payment history, but only keeps the stock attractive to diverse portfolios at a low level. Thus not creating much demand from investors. Just my thoughts.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I noticed Pepsico on your list.....wasn't Joan Crawford's husband a big wig with them and when he died she got all his stock?

My family member is involved with Verizon......except she mows down the weeds at their isolated towers on Oahu.

I'd dump the Philip Morris and put it somewhere else (but not green)

I like the diversity........ever thought of Sands?