Divorce in Retirement

Divorce after UPS -- smarter to stay married?

• Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

JD1988

Does anyone have any "updates" on division of my UPS retirement and 401K and stock options in divorce. How about benefits awarded to ex-spouse. What percentage will I have to share!?? I have 37 years in and was forced out nine years ago (management position). Decided to divorce before 10-year deal expires next year.

JD1988

If you are questioning 10-year "deal" -- basically I turn 65 next year and will be eligible for Medicare, but spouse is only 62--I don't want to pay for a separate benefit package for spouse. Another of many reasons for divorce decision at this time. UPS calculated my pension package to coincide with my SS benefits!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2441.GIF
Does anyone have any "updates" on division of my UPS retirement and 401K and stock options in divorce. How about benefits awarded to ex-spouse. What percentage will I have to share!?? I have 37 years in and was forced out nine years ago (management position). Decided to divorce before 10-year deal expires next year.

It'll go something like this

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If you are questioning 10-year "deal" -- basically I turn 65 next year and will be eligible for Medicare, but spouse is only 62--I don't want to pay for a separate benefit package for spouse. Another of many reasons for divorce decision at this time. UPS calculated my pension package to coincide with my SS benefits!

Is she Hott

Shiftless

Forget your share of what is and what isn't! The lawyers will determine how much they take first! What is left after all the fine tuning of your divorce will be split equally, so they say!

Cheaper to keep her? or him?

rod

Retired 22 years
What's this "half" BS? Its more like a quarter. Lawyer gets half and you and the ex split the other half.

rod

Retired 22 years
Or, you could try and work it out amongst yourselves

Lmao

Everybody wants to play nice until it's time to sign

Usually at the lawyers urging. The nastier it gets the more they get. We had a driver hauled back to court because his ex wanted their rake, shovel and hoe. The Judge was really PO'ed at her lawyer for wasting court time.

onehandsolo

I was told by my lawyer that your spouse can ask for 2% of your pension for every year you were married. I did not forfeit any of my 401k or pension. I did lose most of the equity in the house though. It worked out for me because my 401k has tripled since we first separated in 2013.