Divorce vs legal separation

UPSGUY72

My wife is trying to divorce me right now. Depending on you state probate rules she could stay on your health insurance if she wants until she gets remarried if thats the agreement you came up with on the separation agreement you signed.

UPSGUY72

Sorry man

Her lose not mine she tries every couple of years. She borrows $3000 from her father or boss or who ever for a retainer and than goes through the motions only to figure out that she can't get a mortgage to buy the house from me that I purchased before we got married and even though she can stay in the house till the kids reach 18 what I would pay her in child support wouldn't cover the cost to live in it. Than the kicker is that it's cheaper to live in the house than to rent a 3 bedroom apartment.

This time I decided to go snowmobiling with the guys and not get sick instead of staying home when the rest of the family had the flu. oops

I tell I'm not using a attorney to think she going pull a fast one on me than when she wants a meeting with her attorney I tell I hired one the day before the meeting.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
My wife is trying to divorce me right now. Depending on you state probate rules she could stay on your health insurance if she wants until she gets remarried if thats the agreement you came up with on the separation agreement you signed.
That's also the way I understand it as written in my supplement.
Are any of you that are going through divorce using a teamster provided attorney? ( if that's even still an available benefit)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is untrue----she would get bumped off the insurance as soon as the divorce is final, regardless of what state you live in.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's also the way I understand it as written in my supplement.
Are any of you that are going through divorce using a teamster provided attorney? ( if that's even still an available benefit)

Here we have the option of either using a Teamster attorney or they give us a monetary allowance toward the attorney of your choice.

She cannot stay on the insurance after the divorce is final.

UPSGUY72

This is untrue----she would get bumped off the insurance as soon as the divorce is final, regardless of what state you live in.

Open mouth in put foot again.

Massachusetts laws on continued coverage

State insurance laws allow the dependent spouse to remain on the insured spouse's private employer-sponsored group plan after divorce and legal separation. See G.L. c. 175, ß 110I (commercial health insurance carriers); G.L. c. 176A, ß 8F and G.L. c. 176B, ß6B (Blue Cross/Blue Shield plans); G.L. c. 176G, ß 5A (HMOs); G.L. c. 176I, ß 9 (preferred provider arrangements). State, county and municipal government employees in Massachusetts enjoy the same protections. G.L. c. 32A, ß 11A; G.L. c. 32B, ß 9H.

Pursuant to the above laws, if a member of a group plan is a party to a judgment absolute of divorce or separate support, the member's spouse "shall be and remain eligible" for coverage, "as if said judgment had not been entered." See, e.g., G.L. c. 175, ß110I(a). Eligibility for coverage lasts as long as the insured spouse is a participant in a group plan, whether judgment was entered before the effective date of the plan. Id. The coverage ends when the dependent spouse remarries, but the judgment may provide for coverage to continue after the insured spouse remarries. See, e.g., G.L. c. 175 ß110I(b). As long as the insured spouse has not remarried, the insurer may not charge an additional premium for the family coverage. G.L. c. 175 ß110I(a).

UPSGUY72

WHY would you continue to live that way????

If she could get a mortgage to buy the house and pay me the equity I had in it before we got married I wouldn't. I'd go buy another 3 bedroom house and move on. But she can't and I don't make enough to hold 2 mortgages and pay child support. The house is in my name only i brought it before we got married.

We have 2 kids 7 and 9 so that complicates things.

UPSGUY72

I'm going on my second week of my two weeks vacation I should be on the beach in Florida instead I'm stuck at home. The snow is melting making snowmobile not possible and hasn't melted enough to make taking my on off road bike out for some off on road riding.

wayfair

swollen member
If she could get a mortgage to buy the house and pay me the equity I had in it before we got married I wouldn't. I'd go buy another 3 bedroom house and move on. But she can't and I don't make enough to hold 2 mortgages and pay child support. The house is in my name only i brought it before we got married.

We have 2 kids 7 and 9 so that complicates things.

I definitely wouldn't live that way.

Life to too short to live miserably.