Do Cover Driver Have to Report Back to Preload?

Beezer

I've been cover driving for 6 months now. Before that I did preload for 10 years. I don't mind if they don't have cover work for me (which is the case for this week), but they are saying I have to report back to preload, and I'm telling them that I never intended on going back to preload. So I guess my question is....am I required to report back to preload if they don't have cover work for me? Like I said, I don't care if they don't have work for me to do, I just do not want to go back to preload ever again. And now the manager for preload is trying to get me on attendance for not showing up when I haven't worked preload for the past 6 months now, and even when I did show up for preload when I was first becoming a cover driver and had a day off, the manager told me that I no longer worked for her. So what gives? Now they want me to work preload? I don't get it.

IlllIIllIIlllIllIIIlIlIlI

In my center, if they don't have driving work for you, you would have to report to the local sort. Not showing up for the local sort would be a no call no show. Sometimes when they know I won't be working, they'll ask if i can go in for the preload.

IlllIIllIIlllIllIIIlIlIlI

That might not be true for him. Even though I came from the preload, I can't be forced to work the preload again. Also, I pick vacations on the same schedule as FT drivers, and I compete with FT drivers on personal days. I'm a PT driver, only guaranteed 3.5 hours/day.

Beezer

How am I still a preloader? I signed up on the bid sheet to become a TCD. I don't want two different jobs...I wanted to be a cover driver when it was available. Not to be thrown back and forth between two positions.

stoni24

How am I still a preloader? I signed up on the bid sheet to become a TCD. I don't want two different jobs...I wanted to be a cover driver when it was available. Not to be thrown back and forth between two positions.
the T in TCD stands for temporary.

UPSGUY72

Temporary doesn't mean having to work a previous position though.

TCD means your a PTimer that cover drives when they need you when they don't need you to drive you work your PT job. If you where a FT cover driver like me you would be considered a FT driver that just doesn't have a assigned route and you would be guaranteed 8 hr a day.

You need to read your contract and see what it's says about cover drivers. Also what did the bid sheet you signed say ?? did it say cover driver or TCD....

You worked the Preload for 10 years and you still don't know how things work in your building ?????????????

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If you have not made seniority and are still a casual as a TCD you would have to report inside part time when they dont need you to drive. If you dont report they can call it an ANC. You can always separate from the company and take a casual off the street driving position when available but then you will be really hard pressed to ever get a perm driver job.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes, you do. You're a Preloaded who performs coverage, and not a full time
driver.

Depends. Many locals have coverage drivers that are full time. We have no such thing as just coverage like you speak of. In my center if there is no work for you you can either file unemployment or bump two part timers for your hours.

Buck Fifty

Try doing what you wish. They will send you a letter in the mail telling you what you have to do !!! Just saying.

kingOFchester

We have a winner....

charlie-sheen-winning.jpg
charlie-sheen-winning.jpg

kingOFchester

Depends. Many locals have coverage drivers that are full time. We have no such thing as just coverage like you speak of. In my center if there is no work for you you can either file unemployment or bump two part timers for your hours.

This is how it is done in my correctional institution.