Do Drivers Use GPS?

UPyourS

In driving training now and today we spoke about going to our stops and she asked if we had a map of my town...I mean I know my area but I just thought using a map to find my stop is a little out dated and I wouldn't be quick at it. But if I have to I'll learn it but I would rather use GPS on my phone or something. Is that a problem?

Rainman

Its all good.
We use maps, GPS, map apps on the phones, whatever we can. We use it all. Use whatever works for you. If you use your phone, there is a map app called Sygic GPS that uses no data. The maps are downloaded directly to your phone. It is a big file, will take at least 20 minutes on a iPhone to download. I have 4 different map apps on my phone. And I'm a big believer in old fashion maps.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
That map will become your best friend when your "smartphone" is dead by 17:00.

You'll use that map non-stop once you start getting messages from your provider saying you are over on your data.

UPyourS

We use maps, GPS, map apps on the phones, whatever we can. We use it all. Use whatever works for you. If you use your phone, there is a map app called Sygic GPS that uses no data. The maps are downloaded directly to your phone. It is a big file, will take at least 20 minutes on a iPhone to download. I have 4 different map apps on my phone. And I'm a big believer in old fashion maps.
You just made me feel a whole lot better. Because the way she was speaking, it seemed like we had to know the entire city by heart I live in Las Vegas and although it's possible, but it will slow me down to look at the paper maps. But I had an idea that all of our drivers weren't just looking at maps on paper. Makes sense now. Thanks.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
An old fashioned map never runs out of batteries. Also you will find dead zones in some area where cell service is sketchy at best. A paper map as a back up is essential.

UPyourS

That map will become your best friend when your "smartphone" is dead by 17:00.

You'll use that map non-stop once you start getting messages from your provider saying you are over on your data.
You're right and that's what she was also saying. Which makes sense though. I guess I need to get use to paper maps as well then. What ever makes me efficient at my job I'm willing to do.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
You're right and that's what she was also saying. Which makes sense though. I guess I need to get use to paper maps as well then. What ever makes me efficient at my job I'm willing to do.

Get paper maps. If you know you're going to be in the same area every day, highlight the streets on your route which will make them easier to locate at a quick glance.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You just made me feel a whole lot better. Because the way she was speaking, it seemed like we had to know the entire city by heart I live in Las Vegas and although it's possible, but it will slow me down to look at the paper maps. But I had an idea that all of our drivers weren't just looking at maps on paper. Makes sense now. Thanks.
A map is much quicker than gps. You're thinking about it 1 stop at a time.

You should be able to look at a map and figure out your next half hour or so of stops.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You can print out your route in the morning and it will show every stop on a map. Our cover drivers use it daily.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Here's what I do.
I prefer to use (and for some reason quite enjoy using) paper maps. However, it's not always possible to have a map on hand covering every road you may have to deal with along the way.

That being said, I keep a load of printed maps with me when I drive. Many times I've come across a road I didn't know and that wasn't on one of my maps. In this instance I will look the road up on my Garmin ($0 per month, fully loaded with maps regardless of reception) and draw an addition or write it in on one of my maps, along with address ranges between intersections as I find them.

All my route maps I keep saved on my computer, so later on, I will go in and permanently edit the map with the new addition that I labeled or drew in, so it will always be there if I must reprint it.

Despite all this, when running Saturday air, I won't hesitate to GPS my way to every single stop (all ten of them), simply because I have the tool and I'm in a different area looking for a different road every single time and frankly don't really care to actually learn it.