Do I have a right to bump?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So if a bid route is cut say on a monday, the driver that bid that route can bump any junior bid driver? So then the bumped driver can bump and so on? Do they keep the routes they bumped into? Is the eliminated route rebid once these bumps are completed?

It sounds like a very slippery slope to me!!
They just bump on the days that their routes are cut, generally Monday. No they do not keep the route they bump into, if all the routes are in everyone runs their bid route. Where are you seeing the slippery slope?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
When a package driver's area is eliminated such employee may displace any junior employee in his classification in his center. The employee displaced by this move may displace any junior employee in his classification in his center. The employee displaced by this move will replace the least senior employee in that classification in the building.

This says nowhere that any of these bumps are temporary. What is to stop a driver from bumping on a monday and never going back to his old route?

I have a bid route that gets cut on Monday and at times Tuesday also. I can bump anyone lower then me. Here is my question. We have a guy with more senority then me who had to step down from his route. This was due to disipline reasons. He is now the senior cover driver. There is one full time route lower then mine. Can the top cover bump me or does he have to bump the lowest route.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
When a package driver's area is eliminated such employee may displace any junior employee in his classification in his center. The employee displaced by this move may displace any junior employee in his classification in his center. The employee displaced by this move will replace the least senior employee in that classification in the building.

This says nowhere that any of these bumps are temporary. What is to stop a driver from bumping on a monday and never going back to his old route?
No one has ever tried that. If they did management would deny it, then the driver could grieve it (I suppose), and we would get a resolution one way or the other.
My guess is that key phrase in the language would be "When a package driver's area is eliminated such employee may displace any junior employee in his classification in his center", ie, he can only displace a junior driver when his area is eliminated. When it's not eliminated, he doesn't have that option.

grgrcr88

Same argument could be used on the other side, the route is not eliminated, it just did not have the volume for a day to be in. That is why we have the 30 day language in our supplement. No bumping for daily route cuts, only after the route is permanently eliminated. Which is deemed to mean not in for 30 days. However they do not have to be consecutive days. But cannot be a 1 day a week cut either.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center does not allow a bid driver to bump a lower seniority bid driver if his run is cut. They do allow him to work on the inside to get his hours if they so choose.

I would keep this (your run being cut) in mind when it comes time to bid.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Our center does not allow a bid driver to bump a lower seniority bid driver if his run is cut. They do allow him to work on the inside to get his hours if they so choose.

I would keep this (your run being cut) in mind when it comes time to bid.
Thanks to the recent election, they will continue to be allowed to these types of things. Oh well.

DazedandConfused

There is language in one of the supplements to our rider where the wording is vey similar to what you are saying here. But that is when a drivers route is abolished (permanantly). He then can bump the "most junior driver" in his classification. Doesn't say any junior driver. But that is here.....everywhere is different.

Diego

I am in central states rider.
1) When they cut a route and move the work to mine does that driver have the right to bump me when his is cut and I get 51% of his route?
This being only one or two days a week.
2) Does it have to be permanent move before he can bump or does it go day by day?
3) If he can bump me where do I go?
4) When Chirstmas is over and we run base routes and he bumps me, Can I bump some one off their area or Do I get laidoff?

This will be an issue and will get ugly around these parts.

With 20 guys under me I have the right to work before them even if they got a bid route, or do I. I have a C route and the guys that get my work have more time in, so I can not follow my work.

All input would be greatfull. Sometimes that language in the contract is hard to understand.

grgrcr88

Sounds like every building is doing things differently. Here, also central region, If your route is out a day you become a cover driver for that day and work as assigned. Your seniority will always prevail, you have the right to work before any junior employee. Not sure about any other ocations, but thats what we do here.