Do I lose my holiday pay for New Years if I call in sick tomorrow?

Songwritersoul

Hi everyone,

This may be a dumb question, but I don't remember the rules on this one.
I am sick as a dog right now and would very much not like to go into work tomorrow, but I don't remember if that disqualifies me from my new year's holiday pay because Monday would be the next work day after the holiday. Does the weekend in between new years and Monday make it so I'll still get my holiday pay if I call in sick tomorrow?
I feel like crap, but I'll go in and tough it out rather than lose two days holiday pay if I have to.

Anyone know for sure how this works?

thanks,
Steve

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You should try to suck it up and go in but if you absolutely can't go I would call them and explain what's going on. It should not affect your holiday pay.

Man Of Brown

Find your contract. Some areas say you have to work both the day before and the day after. Others you only have to work one of them. And others don't say anything. Here we have to work both.

Songwritersoul

Here we are supposed to work the day before and after a holiday, but I'm wondering if since the day after the holiday was a Saturday that being sick on Monday doesn't play into that policy. I was just hoping for some solid info from maybe a shop steward as I probably won't get a straight answer from my mgr by calling in tomorrow. I'm in Portland, or if anyone knows the scoop for my area. I had a contract, but can't remember where I put it.

tks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here we are supposed to work the day before and after a holiday, but I'm wondering if since the day after the holiday was a Saturday that being sick on Monday doesn't play into that policy. I was just hoping for some solid info from maybe a shop steward as I probably won't get a straight answer from my mgr by calling in tomorrow. I'm in Portland, or if anyone knows the scoop for my area. I had a contract, but can't remember where I put it.

tks

There is a respected long term member here who goes by the user name Soberups. He works in that neck of the woods. Send him a PM and I'm sure he will be able to help you.

9.5er

Suck it up and go to work. Save those sick days for when you feel better. I've been sick all weekend but will be there just before start time.

PACNW

I'm in the NW district north of you. Here you have to work the working day before and the working day after the holiday to get paid. If you had a cool manager he could code you as an option day or a R/O unpaid day off so at least you wouldn't lose the Holiday $$$.

Songwritersoul

I'm in the NW district north of you. Here you have to work the working day before and the working day after the holiday to get paid. If you had a cool manager he could code you as an option day or a R/O unpaid day off so at least you wouldn't lose the Holiday $$$.

Well that sucks. I'll call in the morning and see what kind of mood their in. Hopefully, I just wake up feeling a lot better, but it's hard to imagine that right now. Thanks for the info.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Hi everyone,

This may be a dumb question, but I don't remember the rules on this one.
I am sick as a dog right now and would very much not like to go into work tomorrow, but I don't remember if that disqualifies me from my new year's holiday pay because Monday would be the next work day after the holiday. Does the weekend in between new years and Monday make it so I'll still get my holiday pay if I call in sick tomorrow?
I feel like crap, but I'll go in and tough it out rather than lose two days holiday pay if I have to.

Anyone know for sure how this works?

thanks,
Steve

By contract, if you call off sick either the working day before or after a holiday, you will lose your holiday pay for that holiday. If...you can convince them to grant you an option day that will not affect your holiday pay. Sooooo.....same as stated above.

Browndriver5

By contract, if you call off sick either the working day before or after a holiday, you will lose your holiday pay for that holiday. If...you can convince them to grant you an option day that will not affect your holiday pay. Sooooo.....same as stated above.

Grant you an option day? LOL

Songwritersoul

I remember reading something about getting a doctor's note and I just confirmed this with our local president. I forgot I had his number in my phone. If I go to the doctor tomorrow and bring the proof of visit, I get paid.

thanks,
Steve

PACNW

Yes, I thought that was the case, but wasn't 100% sure. It's been a while since we had that come up, but a doctors note does work.

Cementups

Box Monkey

As someone else said, that is supplemental. It's not like that here. Here in Central PA you have to have worked within 15 days of the holiday