Do part time supervisors get hired from seniority?

Skittles

I was wondering if it goes by seniority when they hire supervisors, wasn't sure if it was different because it's not a union job.

UPSClerkGirl

No they hire based on who they think will be the best candidate. My boyfriend is a PT Sup and he started the process at the same time as another guy with less seniority and the other guy started first. A lot of it depends on your fit. I know the other guy was a preloader and my boyfriend was a local sorter. They weren't going to put my boyfriend on preload when he had never done it before when in a couple week they were going to need a local sort sup. Seniority means almost nothing in the management world.

oldngray

nowhere special
Sups are kind of a negative seniority position. Hourly employees with more seniority have a lot less incentive or desire to go into management.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
There are a bunch of threads on here talking about union benefits that are eroding as well.

The main difference there is Union members vote for their negotiated benefits for better or worse, and they can't be arbitrarily taken away. Management benefits on the other hand, are given and taken away at the pleasure of the CEO.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
They hire those with management potential regardless of length of service.
Most Union employees are not fit to be management.

Never a shortage of pt sups who jump at the chance of escaping management to become drivers in the hourly rotation. I've a seen several pt sups quit when they though they just couldn't wait for their turn.

BrownTexas

Pt Supervisors at my center are just warm bodied people that show up everyday. I rather have a senior preloaded than a pt supervisor because he hasn't been here long enough to know how to load a truck right. They just throw it in the truck and think that is how you load.

oldngray

nowhere special
Pt Supervisors at my center are just warm bodied people that show up everyday. I rather have a senior preloaded than a pt supervisor because he hasn't been here long enough to know how to load a truck right. They just throw it in the truck and think that is how you load.

And they are supposed to be training new loaders. Any surprise load quality sucks?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
As a whole, there is little to no difference in skillset between union hourlies and low-level operations management. I have never seen it. When you say "fit", that could include being able to tolerate upper-managements desires, but again I don't think there is much difference.

I would also assume that most of those who are promoted into supervisor roles because: (a) their bodies weren't going to hold up to retirement or (b) wanted the feeling of being a boss, self-importance, perhaps bullied a lot as a child

;)

Then there are resume builders and etc, but I would guess those are less frequent than people imagine.

Last edited:

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I've been approached about going into management several times. The lack of stability is a huge sticking point for me. My family is settled where we are, and I'm not going to be relocated at the whims of higher-ups.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Reeled in a few with that one.
I was enjoying a Stones concert while y'all were rendering your clothes and gnashing your teeth.
Life is good!