Do the majority of UPS employees(the package handlers in particular) really hate their jobs...

jbg77

5 years in and there are aspects that I strongly dislike and some that I like. Free insurance and the possibility of making really good money/pension are the pros. Cons are if you are good at your job then they will continually pack more on you. You will be taken advantage of regularly well others are allowed to skate by.

Not many people go online to say how much they love their job.

Does this place get inane and annoying? Sure. Is it the third Reich? No
homer-simpson-donuts-02.jpg

Brownies...mmm

Never Underestimate the Power of a Woman
or is it just mostly on the internet where people just like to rant about life in general?

I'm just curious. I've been working as a package handler for 2 weeks and so far, it's physically demanding but not quite as bad as everyone makes it out to be, in my experience. I'll admit, there was already a few days where I get irritated and frustated of unloading trailers that are filled with tons of irregs or are poorly loaded(with irregs being on top and front of the lighter packages) to the point of slowing me down from finishing as soon as possible. As for supervisors at my hub, they're surprisingly nice and would give me a hand once in a while when I'm unloading trucks that are heavily packed with irregs(after hearing many horror stories on the

I'm a 2 week newbie loader and it's not cool having a bunch of giant irregs coming full speed at you down the belt. We do our best to safely load what comes at us.(probably why you have irregs mixed in) Which in some cases many irregs that shouldn't be there. I think of the other guy when I build my walls. Besides the fact I don't want it to come crashing down on me.

The job is what it is, but expecting us to scan 300+ packages per hour with broken roller chutes and scanners, extreme weather conditions and someone cracking the whip. Probably gets old really fast. You just do what you gotta do I guess hating it or not.

brown67

Depends on your center and manager. I'm in feeders and have it pretty good. My sups are good and leave me alone. However, I do my job and don't mess around. Drivers who get harassed usually deserve it around here. Like going to the rail yard and hooking up to a trailer, and sitting there for an hour.

JLGjr1995

Depends on your center and manager. I'm in feeders and have it pretty good. My sups are good and leave me alone. However, I do my job and don't mess around. Drivers who get harassed usually deserve it around here. Like going to the rail yard and hooking up to a trailer, and sitting there for an hour.
Every once in a while, my sups would check up on me to see how I'm doing on unloading and would sometimes give me a hand if I'm kinda struggling(despite the annoying irregs always in my way). Only 1 or 2 sups of mine would tell me to increase me work speed a little faster a few times when they catch me unloading at a slower pace but other than that, most of my sups are alright.

AllOnTheHorses

-Preload is easy except for the tough hours and constant meddling by some sups. But if you just look at it as filling the time and doing as good as you can, it's easy.. if you stay off the couch and USE THE REST OF YOUR DAY you will be happy.. unload is the easiest.

-Some people seem to love driving.. but I don't know why. I am actively seeking an alternative. I need to work with people and have steady hours and a definite end time. However, now I know.. and I am stronger for having done it well.

wayfair

swollen member
My commute is the same every day, except for Mondays, as that is the day that they pickup the trash on this one street and there is no way to get around them when they are doing so.

The quickest way for me is the interstate.

Checking the live map on Waze.com will alert me if traffic is at a stand still. So I'll take an alternate route.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Back in the day, working in the hub was a lot better since we only made $1 less than the full time rate.

kingOFchester

I actually really like the job (driver).

Keeps me healthy. Not in an office, warehouse all day. I get to interact (quick doses which I like) with a lot of customers. I can put on music, podcast, sports talk, news talk and listen to my heart content. For the most part I know what my day is going to be on the daily. I like the protection I get from the union. I like the wages. I like the current benefits. I like that there is a probability of a pension, but know that my wages helps me squirrel away some retirement money.

I don't like the way management is corrupt. I don't like the way they preach crap that they know is crap. I don't like having to play the games in order to try and make some arbitrary number. However, being union, having a contract allows me to write all that off once I leave the building. Well, until i get message telling me it is raining and to use the wipers. But, those messages just make good text messages to send around to laugh at.