Do the porters use blowers in your building?

Integrity

Binge Poster
To All:

This is a common practice in my area.

What is your opinion as to the practice of cleaning a facility using air blowers?

Sincerely,
I

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Don't have a porter in my building. Sometimes I leave the overhead open while loading my package car and let the wind clean the floor.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Integrity, are you talking about something similar to a leaf blower? Are there employees in the building while this is being done?

Our porters sweep the floors by hand.

PT Car Washer

Our porters used to use the leaf blowers around and underneath the primary and the belts. Haven't seen them much anymore. I believe there were issues with indoor air pollution and dust while the day sort were working. Our fork lift has been converted to propane for air quality concerns.

ronzo14

The outside cleaning service uses a blower instead of sweeping zunder conveyors and places they could easily sweep. I have complained to safety, talked with division managers, with my supervisor first, then center manager, then division manager and nobody has a problem with it. who knows what on the floor being flown up into small perfect lung size contaminants so you can easily breathe them deep into your lungs. It's really awesome!!! That's why I could give a crap about the safety committee. When I filed a formal complaint and they checked into it they decided they can use a blower within fifty feet of a employees workstation. We have haz mat guy and clerks and whoever else is in the building. Really a pet peeve of mine and nobody in management and our lousy hourly safety committee could give a damn. I threatened to call OSHA (California) and plant maintenance said go ahead they have the rule it can be used within 50' of a workstation. Of course I argued the fine metal shavings from conveyors to who knows what has spilled and mixes with the dust. Nobody cares but me so finally I said screw it. So good luck and me and you are probably the only 2 that care about this and I don't get why everyone doesn't care. It is a unbelievable way to clean a building. They have these cool tools called brooms and dust mops that I hear work great and don't blow up too much dust but I guess that's too much to ask. Really pisses me off!

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
I like the old short shelved...were they 800s or 1000s? It was years ago...but Big cargo area...that's helpful.

I only remember 800's. The shelves stopped 4 or 5 feet from the back leaving a huge area in rear for dump stops. Some of older trucks had narrow shelves that were full length but those were different.

T

Turdferguson

No porters here, but housekeeping only uses blowers when nobody else is in vicinity on Saturday and Sundays.
So you think the people who work air on Saturdays are"nobody" ? They are people too. Just because they dont have as much time in as you does not make them a nobody.

Sent using BrownCafe App