Do the porters use blowers in your building?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I only remember 800's. The shelves stopped 4 or 5 feet from the back leaving a huge area in rear for dump stops. Some of older trucks had narrow shelves that were full length but those were different.
Yup...I know which PC's you're talking about...i used to load one a long time ago..

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The outside cleaning service uses a blower instead of sweeping zunder conveyors and places they could easily sweep. I have complained to safety, talked with division managers, with my supervisor first, then center manager, then division manager and nobody has a problem with it. who knows what on the floor being flown up into small perfect lung size contaminants so you can easily breathe them deep into your lungs. It's really awesome!!! That's why I could give a crap about the safety committee. When I filed a formal complaint and they checked into it they decided they can use a blower within fifty feet of a employees workstation. We have haz mat guy and clerks and whoever else is in the building. Really a pet peeve of mine and nobody in management and our lousy hourly safety committee could give a damn. I threatened to call OSHA (California) and plant maintenance said go ahead they have the rule it can be used within 50' of a workstation. Of course I argued the fine metal shavings from conveyors to who knows what has spilled and mixes with the dust. Nobody cares but me so finally I said screw it. So good luck and me and you are probably the only 2 that care about this and I don't get why everyone doesn't care. It is a unbelievable way to clean a building. They have these cool tools called brooms and dust mops that I hear work great and don't blow up too much dust but I guess that's too much to ask. Really pisses me off!

Sent using BrownCafe App

I would bitch to high heaven if I had to breathe in all that disgusting dust.
I could MAYBE see if no one was working but still that's a lot of bad air to be breathing.
In my facility, they do not use that technique. Brush,sweep,mop

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
our porters stopped using blowers about 10 yrs ago or so. it became a health & safety concern, so it was banned. they now use an industrial vacuum to clean under the boxlines. a bigger problem we had was the weekend parking of all the feeder tractors during the winter. they would jam 20+ tractors in between the boxlines and fire them all up to move them back outside Sunday night as the preload started. exhaust smoke got so thick that you couldn't see the end of the boxline. it would take a few hours until exhaust fans cleaned it out. we got that stopped pretty quick.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Our building gets swept out by a miniature street sweeper that is about the size of a forklift. We call it the "Zamboni" because it kind of resembles the machine that sweeps the ice on an ice skating rink.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Porters I have seen mostly just wander around carrying a broom or mop but seldom actually clean anything with them.

Hey, I worked pre-load/porter for a year.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get that slow shuffle with a broom in your hands perfected?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
To All:
This is a common practice in my area.
What is your opinion as to the practice of cleaning a facility using air blowers?
Sincerely,
I

I, glad to see you're still kicking around...no porters here just a car washer who sprays everything in the building down with water and out the bay door to the parking lot.