Do We Cross Informational Picket Lines?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I made a delivery to our local Verizon garage, which is on the back side of the bldg, and when I drove around front I noticed that they were conducting an informational picket. There were 3 guys with "Verizon Jobs Should Be Union Jobs" (or something to that effect) signs.

I know that we are not to cross picket lines but is an informational picket considered to be the same as a work stoppage picket?

packageguy

I made a delivery to our local Verizon garage, which is on the back side of the bldg, and when I drove around front I noticed that they were conducting an informational picket. There were 3 guys with "Verizon Jobs Should Be Union Jobs" (or something to that effect) signs.

I know that we are not to cross picket lines but is an informational picket considered to be the same as a work stoppage picket?

I don't think so, there not union.

Griff

What's the difference, you'd be the first to cross a Teamster-UPS picket line.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Wether you cross a line is up to your judgement, being that it is not a union facility you would not be breaking any Union rules by crossing it, however the respectful thing would bo to show your support for the picketers and not cross. Management should be notified of your decision, as they will probably send a non union employee to make the delivery. You should explain to the picketers that you apreciate their effort and will not cross their line but that UPS management will make the delivery anyway.If you are instructed to cross, do so!!

JonFrum

Contract Article 9 only protects your right to refuse to cross a PRIMARY PICKET LINE. Primary picketers are either on strike against their employer, or they are non-union employees seeking union recognition and a first contract from their employer. The Teamsters would be very upset if you crossed a Primary Picket Line. The proper proceedure is to notify UPS Management of your refusal to cross, and then they will send a management person to cross IF they think the delivery or pickup is all that important.

An INFORMATIONAL PICKET, on the other hand, is not a Strike Line. It is just a group of union or non-union people advertizing their issues to the general public. They may carry signs and hand out flyers, but they are not saying you should stop doing business with their employer. The legal definition of an Informational Picket is that it is for informational purposes only. There is no active labor dispute. There is no line to cross. So go ahead and make the delivery or pickup. You can show your support by honking, giving them a thumbs up, smiling etc.

menotyou

bella amicizia
My father would not have a problem with me crossing an informational line. That's how I judge it. Upstate's interest in not stepping on toes is quite unexpected. No disrespect meant. I am very pleased.:happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What's the difference, you'd be the first to cross a Teamster-UPS picket line.

LOL @ Griff.

Cino, I am also laughing at Griff.

I never thought of crossing our picket line in 1997; however, I was not going to waste my time sitting there supporting a strike I did not believe in. I worked for a construction company, earning $253 for 46 hours of the hardest work I have ever done. After paying my ex $250 in child support I had a net gain of $3. This gave me a renewed appreciation of just how fortunate each and every one of us is.

Honoring a picket line and believing in the cause are two different things.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Cino, I am also laughing at Griff.

I never thought of crossing our picket line in 1997; however, I was not going to waste my time sitting there supporting a strike I did not believe in. I worked for a construction company, earning $253 for 46 hours of the hardest work I have ever done. After paying my ex $250 in child support I had a net gain of $3. This gave me a renewed appreciation of just how fortunate each and every one of us is.

Honoring a picket line and believing in the cause are two different things.

You did construction for $5.50 an hour? Ouch. Our Local got a bunch of us temp jobs at a local beverage distributor warehouse, I was making about $10 or $11 an hour if I recall correctly, plus $50 a week in strike pay. It didnt replace my wages but it took the sting out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You did construction for $5.50 an hour? Ouch. Our Local got a bunch of us temp jobs at a local beverage distributor warehouse, I was making about $10 or $11 an hour if I recall correctly, plus $50 a week in strike pay. It didnt replace my wages but it took the sting out.

Our local actually told us that if we wanted our $55 strike pay we had to sit on the picket line. I spent the first day of the strike on the line--that was enough for me. We had one driver (no longer with the company) who got drunk and got in to an argument with a passerby who did not agree with our strike.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Our local actually told us that if we wanted our $55 strike pay we had to sit on the picket line. I spent the first day of the strike on the line--that was enough for me. We had one driver (no longer with the company) who got drunk and got in to an argument with a passerby who did not agree with our strike.

So you allowed the inappropriate behavior of one person to dictate your actions for the duration of the strike?

Our Local set up a schedule whereby there was always a "picket captain" on duty on the line. It was this persons job to monitor and if necessary correct the behavior of the picketers. Alcohol and foul language was prohibited, as was arguing with customers or passers-by. Our Local also rented a porta-potty and a shade tent for us, and there was usually a Business Agent or other Local officer walking the line with us for at least 10 hours out of the day. And yes, we also had to do at least 8 hrs of picket line duty per week in order to get our strike pay, which is only fair.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I chose to work rather than sit on the picket line for several reasons: first, I cannot sit still. Second, I thought it best to stay away from a situation that I wanted no part of. I did not support the strike but I did support my co-workers by honoring the picket line. I knew that if I had stayed I would have voiced my opinion which would have led us down a road I did not want to go down. Third, I had obligations which had to be met and $55 was not going to meet them. (Turns out $253 didin't meet them either.)

I was appalled at some of the behavior on the picket line, not toward passersby but toward our management team. We are a very small center and for the most part we are all friends but some of the things said caused resentment that did not go away for a long time.

I do think that 2013 will be even more contentious than 1997. I don't know what I will do if we are back on the picket line again. I do know that I am in a much better financial situation now than I was then. I know that I would honor the line but don't know if I would support the strike. Hopefully these will be questions left unanswered. Dave.

moreluck

golden ticket member
From an 'outsider'..........

It seems to me that actually having a job in 2013 means much, much more than in '97. To be on strike and go find something to 'tide you over' doesn't seem like an easy thing to do this time around with so many folks unemployed and looking all the time. I don't think it's the time to play 'tough guys' that say, "yeah, we'll show 'em". People won't even get to be a greeter at WallyWorld! The really smart union reps. will get you something and still keep you working the whole time through the process. JMO.

slantnosechevy

And I believe that will be the case. There will be no strike this time. UPS has an old workforce and most will be ready to leave by then. Especially in Pkg. Injuries are on the rise in older drivers and the company has no intentions of letting up on the workload. Most of the 15 year and younger Drvrs. are in debt up to their eyeballs and will sign anything as long as they keep working. The company has plenty of money and is patiently waiting. There will be a lot more mngmnt. forced out the door by then too. The only wild card in all this is a colapse of Wall Street and then none of this will matter anyway we'll all have a different fight on our hands.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We had a blast being on strike. Grilling, deep frying a turkey, watching a TV connected to a generator. We would shoot the crap with supes as they headed out with their 20 stops. I had to picket the night shift so I could watch my kids during the day and not pay a sitter. The night they announced a settlement a bunch of us grabbed some beer and headed to my basement to celebrate. Good times.

247spies

It has to be recognized the the local call the local to find out then just use non delivery strike...you can deliver to the parking lot, the place next door whatever the customer needs, be fair to the customer, but you don't cross the line if it recognized.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It has to be recognized the the local call the local to find out then just use non delivery strike...you can deliver to the parking lot, the place next door whatever the customer needs, be fair to the customer, but you don't cross the line if it recognized.

Informational pickets and organized work stoppages are not one in the same.