Do we need to work black friday?

Ant12

my sup is telling me its mandatory and that the union signed a contract stating we must come in. I talked to my other coworker and he said that same sup told him it would be helpful if he came in(proving he was lying to me) I would probably have came in either way but its kinda annoying they lied to me saying its mandatory. Is it mandatory to come in black friday? Package handlers.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
my sup is telling me its mandatory and that the union signed a contract stating we must come in. I talked to my other coworker and he said that same sup told him it would be helpful if he came in(proving he was lying to me) I would probably have came in either way but its kinda annoying they lied to me saying its mandatory. Is it mandatory to come in black friday? Package handlers.
Yes...you should stop listening to your coworkers and talk to your steward. You could probably get the day off but you have no seniority so...enjoy! I will be at home eating thanksgiving leftovers...lol

Last edited:

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I'm not sure I can explain this so you'll understand, but here goes:
  • The contract lists the paid holidays. It doesn't say anything about 'NOT' working those days, just that you receive holiday pay (with other stipulations such as must work the day before and/or after). No changes were made to the contract.
  • What changed was UPS decided to run full operations that day (instead of only air pkgs).
  • Like any other workday, staffing should be planned in advance and you will be scheduled in accordance with your seniority.
  • If you are otherwise eligible for holiday pay (1 year of service for part timers), you get the holiday pay on top of pay for the hours you work (under some contract supplements at 1.5x or 2x your normal pay rate).
  • The exceptions are Locals 177 & 804. There contract explicitly says they can't be forced to work that day. Also, the Central region supplement says Labor day is 'NO WORK' day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most planes have WiFI by now. And they probably charge for it

My Christmas shopping is for the most part already done. I give the kids $500 each----my son needed his back in August and my daughter will be getting hers at the baby shower on the 25th of this month. $100 for my preloader, $20 for the mailman and $50 for my helper.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
My Christmas shopping is for the most part already done. I give the kids $500 each----my son needed his back in August and my daughter will be getting hers at the baby shower on the 25th of this month. $100 for my preloader, $20 for the mailman and $50 for my helper.
What about something for yourself?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
What about something for yourself?
images.jpeg