Do you beep when you back?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I beep at every stop. Amount Depends on the stop and how much attention I am trying to draw to myself.

I also beep when I pull up to every residential (and some business) stop. I give a double tap at every house. And several more at stops where I need a signature.

satellitedriver

I beep at every stop. Amount Depends on the stop and how much attention I am trying to draw to myself.

I also beep when I pull up to every residential (and some business) stop. I give a double tap at every house. And several more at stops where I need a signature.
A man asked me just today why I honked my horn when I pulled up to his home.
It was an ADD/CUT stop that required a sig for medicine.
I told him that I thought he might be in his shop in the backyard, or, he might have a sleeping dog.
He laughed, then bored me for 2 precious minutes regaling me with his "bad dog" stories when he was a "route" man.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You beep because your company won't spend the money to put backup beepers in your vehicle like every other rinky dink company in America.

menotyou

bella amicizia
When delivering a resi, do you know how many people run for the truck when they hear that honk? Cops don't honk when they come to arrest you, so these people know it's not them. They know it's that double headed lovely they've been dying to try out. We get the immense pleasure of seeing them in their housecoats at 2 in the afternoon, as they have been pacing all day tracking that package!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You beep because your company won't spend the money to put backup beepers in your vehicle like every other rinky dink company in America.

Back-up beepers are often ignored or become part of the background noise. Tapping the horn continuously during the back is the safest method.

I was delivering a residential section and beeped the horn two houses before the next stop. An older lady who was walking her dog snottily said "Well, that's effective" and I said "Yes, it is" as the homeowner met me at the door. She (dog lady) then asked me why I do it and I told her that we are required to do it 2 houses prior and it is to alert the homeowner and any dogs which may be at that address for our safety.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

I not only beep but lay on the horn at the customers house where the dog is out of the yard and trying to chew the tires off the truck. :panicsmiley:

tourists24

Those beepers make people become complacent... That is why UPS doesn't install them in the cars.
I dont ever feel complacent when I hear a vehicle with one of those. It makes an annoying distinct sound than a horn makes and lets people know "hey, truck is backing. Heads up". Maybe its different with other people

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I dont ever feel complacent when I hear a vehicle with one of those. It makes an annoying distinct sound than a horn makes and lets people know "hey, truck is backing. Heads up". Maybe its different with other people

Blend that noise in with other noise in an urban setting and people do become complacent.

tourists24

Blend that noise in with other noise in an urban setting and people do become complacent.
So what is the difference in that and a horn going off? at least the sound is a different one that people do know. Maybe it is a city thing then. I have a city route but not a downtown setting. Not to mention that the driver has a choice to beep or not.... the backup alarm goes off automatically when in reverse

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If that noise is so common that people are complacent there must be an awful lot of backing going on in your neighborhood.

I deliver to our local SUNY campus and with all of the construction and other vendors/contractors the sound from a back-up beeper would blend in and be ignored.

curiousbrain

I deliver to our local SUNY campus and with all of the construction and other vendors/contractors the sound from a back-up beeper would blend in and be ignored.

Furthermore, in dense urban environments, you have ten trucks in a 5 block radius all backing up at once, coupled with commuters honking their own horn at traffic.