Do you beep when you back?

Furthermore, in dense urban environments, you have ten trucks in a 5 block radius all backing up at once, coupled with commuters honking their own horn at traffic.

Lots of beeping, lots of honking. The only way to stand out is to visually sweep the area and only back when safe. Besides you guys have back up cameras to help. It's not like there's 53' of box behind you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you find yourself tapping the horn when you back your personal car?

No. I did at work the other day because there were a couple of the guys out front and I wanted to see what they would say.

Do you back into your driveway?

Yes. I back in to every parking space, working or not. Drives my kids crazy.

over9five

Staff member
Do you find yourself tapping the horn when you back your personal car?

No. I did at work the other day because there were a couple of the guys out front and I wanted to see what they would say.

Do you back into your driveway?

Yes. I back in to every parking space, working or not. Drives my kids crazy.

I don't beep in my own car, but I always "back first"!
Wow, same time, too!

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Lots of beeping, lots of honking. The only way to stand out is to visually sweep the area and only back when safe. Besides you guys have back up cameras to help. It's not like there's 53' of box behind you.

Do you slide the tandems before backing?

curiousbrain

I'm not a driver, but this seems a good a place as any to interject a random, meandering thought-path of mine.

Since I started working at UPS, and have been exposed to some of the habits that drivers are taught, I now back into every parking spot. I'm the first at work in the morning, and I always park in the same spot because when I leave the parking lot is full, and I still have a full view of who is coming from all 4 directions.

I also have a new respect for guys driving large trucks on the highway - I never ride their @ss.

I always make eye contact when I have to move in front of a vehicle.

And other random things.

I'm probably a little safer for it.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I'm not a driver, but this seems a good a place as any to interject a random, meandering thought-path of mine.

Since I started working at UPS, and have been exposed to some of the habits that drivers are taught, I now back into every parking spot.
Back when conditions are clear...
I'm the first at work in the morning, and I always park in the same spot because when I leave the parking lot is full, and I still have a full view of who is coming from all 4 directions.
Space on all four sides...always in front.

I also have a new respect for guys driving large trucks on the highway - I never ride their @ss.
Get the Big Picture!!! Good. Stay away from billboards...

I always make eye contact when I have to move in front of a vehicle.
10 point contact...item!! DOK. When eye contact is achieved...

And other random things.

I'm probably a little safer for it.

Good for you....
Management needs to lead by example.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Nope. Do it all by eye and experience.

Do you ever pull air cans in a roller trailer?

How do you feel about coworkers that pencil whip a post-trip and leave you with either a flat inner tire or a burnt out light?

How many times do you find yourself replacing grommets on air lines because someone else was too lazy to replace?

over9five

Staff member

How do you feel about coworkers that pencil whip a post-trip and leave you with either a flat inner tire or a burnt out light?

How many times do you find yourself replacing grommets on air lines because someone else was too lazy to replace?
Cha ching, easy OT at the shop!

I have.

As Ovah said, trip to the shop. There's guys that think they're sly on skating out on their duties but when enough equipment problems get backtracked back to them it bites them in the butt.