Do You feel Hoffa will win?

steward71

I have been surfing some of the other sites of union shops and talking to others across the country and they are saying they are not voting for Hoffa. What do you the members of Brown Cafe have to say. I just know as a steward the enforcement is not there on local or national in my area.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
What are the options? No matter how bad someone is, there can always be someone worse holding the reins....

d

Babagounj

Strength through joy
never liked anyone who wanted to be a president -for-life.
They tend to create a system of no growth from within the very union which they are responsible for.

trickpony1

Hoffa will win.
It doesn't matter if everyone voted for the other candidate.
It's one of those magical things that can't be explained.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Like Danny, I caution people when voting for change just for the sake of change.
Please educate yourself about the change you vote for.
I think Hoffa will win as most local administrations will back him.
I think this will be the case because most are afraid not to.
They feel if they don't outwardly back Hoffa, that when he prevails they will be left on the outside looking in and will not be properly networked within the IBT for the next 5 years.
Not saying that this is the way it should be, rather the way it is.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The biggest factor in ALL of our elections with the Teamsters (local, Joint council, National) is the lack of participation of its members. If our brothers and sisters actually voted in a majority (80% plus) we would see change in our leadership over years, unfortunately, its less than 20%.

Same with local elections. Usually, less than 10% vote in a local election or even worse, less than 15% vote for a contract ratification.

Members will complain all day long about leaders, contracts and locals, but until the day when "we" as members stand up as a majority and lead the Teamsters by voting, nothing will change.

We can complain all day long, day after day, year after year and those in charge will remain in power.

I "personally" believe Hoffa has done a horrible job in all industries he is responsible for, but at this time, I dont believe their is anyone with a knowledgeable group capable of replacing him and doing a better job.

Change for sake of change isnt going to help either. We are only 2 years until our next contract and after the election there will only be 1 year left before opening negotiations begin.

A new person would not have enough time to gather all the information to negotiate with any relevance and the company would exploit it to their advantage.

Peace.

steward71

I think you are right but have heard a lot of others saying the same thing about this issue. Most in my local if not all are not for Hoffa but will not look at others. They complain but wil not do what is right to stand up we have grievances that are from 08 abd 09 just now meeting at the local level.

steward71

The members in my local many I hate to say are now stating they will get out if he is voted back into office. I try to talk them out of this and but they are dead set unless something changes. Change, the word I get sick of hearing. I like to the word action or take action. But when I say this to most of the members they look at me say what is the point. I tell them to go the union and vote the BA out but they don't want to take 30 min out of Sat. to go. I hate to say it but I feel there will be no union at UPS in 10 years or less. My BA is making over $110,000 a year for 1035 members and the members complain and do nothing.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Change for the sake of change has brought us Obama. What people wanted was real change, not another face of disgusting stupidity on the national level.

One thing to keep in mind. In years past, many people have voted the way the locals have advised. I dont believe that is the case anymore. I believe that at least at UPS, people are getting tired of being the football that is being kicked around by both teams, for their own personal agendas.

There is a lot to be said for the phrase, "servant leadership". Local BA's are elected to serve their members, but instead it is the other way around. They want power, not to serve their members. That is at best secondary.

Our BA makes what a full time driver makes, without overtime. Thats it. And he is ten thousand times better than any other we have had over the last 30+ years.

d

TheKid

To steal a line from danny . . . change brought us Obama. . . how is that working out for us ?
And to borrow an old saying . . . "Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it."

TheKid

Sorry but I need to say something. I have a high school education, I make +$30.00/hr. ,pay $90.00 / month for the best insurance in the nation, I have a pension, I am 46 yrs. old and have +$200K in my 401K and I have a local union that sticks up for me if I am willing to FIGHT FOR MYSELF. Oh . . the only down side is that I have to show up for work everyday and work hard. I think most of us have very little to "bitch" about. Thank you for letting me vent.

GO HOFFA ! ! ! !

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
LOL, and you had to ruin a perfectly good post with those last two words........
or did you mean that you wanted him to go?.......

d

Solidarity413

Out of control salaries
Throwing part-timers under the bus
Letting any organizing in freight just disappear
Fear at the panels of speaking out
There are plenty of problems with Hoffa. We aren't an Union of just UPS workers. Hoffa (with help) has messed up our core industries and it's time we take them back.

TheKid

Out of control salary for who ? If you are saying Hoffa stop and compare his salary to Scott Davis'. How did he throw part-timers under the bus ?