Do you have to be full time package to bid into feeders?

EmraldArcher

Can a 22.3 or a part time employee (with enough seniority) bid into feeders or is it only open to people who are already full time package drivers?

Feederquacker

Can a 22.3 or a part time employee (with enough seniority) bid into feeders or is it only open to people who are already full time package drivers?
The bid is open to all employees in seniority order. That is, Full Time employees have first pick. Whomever is the senior Full Timer that bids gets it. If there are no Full Time employees that want it, then the bid goes to the Part Timers. The senior Part Timer that bids on it will win it. Of coarse you still have to qualify. That means getting your AP license on your own and doing all the paperwork leading up to your actual training. This was the norm for our center for years until recently. Since they stopped the street hire for Feeders back in '87 (I think) we have had a dozen or so Part Timers come straight into Feeder. The only way this isn't possible is if your Supplement or Rider says you MUST be Full Time to bid into Feeders. I don't think (but I may be wrong) that any of them have that language in them anymore. I know that it use to be that you had to have a year of driving in Package first, but that is no longer the case. Happy Bidding!!!

Johney

Our feeder bids specifically state you must have at least 1 year accident free in friend/t package delivery and no tickets in the past year. Of course we have no problem's filling feeder spots with friend/t p/c drivers.

Feederquacker

Our feeder bids specifically state you must have at least 1 year accident free in friend/t package delivery and no tickets in the past year. Of course we have no problem's filling feeder spots with friend/t p/c drivers.
The bid can say whatever it wants. You can challenge the bid on a contractual basis if there is no language in the contract that states it explicitly. But, you still have to have no FT to win the bid.

Johney

The bid can say whatever it wants. You can challenge the bid on a contractual basis if there is no language in the contract that states it explicitly. But, you still have to have no FT to win the bid.
Well I would hope it's per the contract as our shop steward signs it approving it being posted.

Feederquacker

Well I would hope it's per the contract as our shop steward signs it approving it being posted.
Honestly, most time the Steward will sign things of this nature without taking into account weather or not a PTer would be considered for it. I'm not at all putting down the Stewards here. I'm just saying in a "Business as usual" setting, the bid probably would never make it to a PTer. This is where YOUR knowledge of the contract comes in handy. Read it. I've been in situations before where I've had to defend what is contractually right against a BA. I won because I knew the contract. He was trying to bully me and the ones I was representing as a Steward. He took it to a panel several times and lost every time. Knowledge rules.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ouch

They stopped our building from going to feeders. We don't have a feeder operation in our building and we're able to bid into the building 16 miles from our building. An employee at that building filed a grievance to stop us from coming over and taking the feeder jobs. To me you shouldn't be able to change the contract by a grievaance. That language is voted on by all members, and any changes made should be voted on by all members. Now our contract says a year of safe driving.We will try and use that language as a year of safe driving with the company to get them to pick full timers out of our building instead of part timers out of their building.

oldngray

nowhere special
They stopped our building from going to feeders. We don't have a feeder operation in our building and we're able to bid into the building 16 miles from our building. An employee at that building filed a grievance to stop us from coming over and taking the feeder jobs. To me you shouldn't be able to change the contract by a grievaance. That language is voted on by all members, and any changes made should be voted on by all members. Now our contract says a year of safe driving.We will try and use that language as a year of safe driving with the company to get them to pick full timers out of our building instead of part timers out of their building.

My area has 2 buildings and allows bids between buildings but they are limited as to what can be used to transfer.

Feederquacker

Try to qualify as a Back Up Feeder Driver or if you're Part Time, qualify as a Feeder Cover Driver. The contract doesn't say anything prohibiting you from qualifying. Back Up Feeder drivers get first pick as they are already qualified. You may still have a problem with it though if a PTer from their building files on it. If they push it, they can probably ( I'm guessing, I don't know your contract) keep y'all from jumping them since the work originates from their building and not yours. Sorry.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ouch

Try to qualify as a Back Up Feeder Driver or if you're Part Time, qualify as a Feeder Cover Driver. The contract doesn't say anything prohibiting you from qualifying. Back Up Feeder drivers get first pick as they are already qualified. You may still have a problem with it though if a PTer from their building files on it. If they push it, they can probably ( I'm guessing, I don't know your contract) keep y'all from jumping them since the work originates from their building and not yours. Sorry.

Sent using BrownCafe App
The sad part Is 75% of the volume they pull is really our buildings volume. It sucks I've tried and tried and can get nowhere. People love to talk about what they will dobut when it comes down to it they back out.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There are many supplements, riders and addendum that address this issue from area to area.
Nobody here can answer this question accurately.

MoarTape

You can challenge the bid on a contractual basis if there is no language in the contract that states it explicitly

We had a situation several years ago where they were giving FT package car bids to guys that were already temps. People with six years were getting the bids over people with 15+ years. There was a big grievance over it and the arbitrator sided with the company on the basis that they were already trained. Prior to that, it was always highest PT seniority once all the full timers passed it up.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This can be said about every question someone asks here. It's still nice to hear how it works in various places.
Unfortunately, people come here to find the answers they need to file grievances or make life decisions in bidding jobs, only to find out it doesn't work the way they were told, in their area.
It was just a disclaimer.