Do you have to make up days off you take with no pay?

Big J

Hi guys quick question when you take a day off from UPS and you don't use a vacation day or optional day, just a day with no pay do you have to make that up when you are going to retire? I remember some people saying that we have to make up the two weeks from 1997 when we went on strike when you retire. Not sure if that's true or not?

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hi guys quick question when you take a day off from UPS and you don't use a vacation day or optional day, just a day with no pay do you have to make that up when you are going to retire? I remember some people saying that we have to make up that week in 1997 when we went on strike when you retire. Not sure if that's true or not?
I'd probably call the people in charge of my pension.

Big J

Ok thanks. Didn't want to keep taking days off with no pay then pay for it later. Good ol UPS doesn't tell you that stuff you kind of learn the hard way.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Hi guys quick question when you take a day off from UPS and you don't use a vacation day or optional day, just a day with no pay do you have to make that up when you are going to retire? I remember some people saying that we have to make up the two weeks from 1997 when we went on strike when you retire. Not sure if that's true or not?
So a thread and a poll? Seems like overkill but what do I know. Man, instead of spending 10 minutes to sign up to an anonymous site asking that question to a bunch of strangers and folks who probably know but might not, I would have just called my HR department or retirement rep....then again, I have been known to do strange things like that.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
So a thread and a poll? Seems like overkill but what do I know. Man, instead of spending 10 minutes to sign up to an anonymous site asking that question to a bunch of strangers and folks who probably know but might not, I would have just called my HR department or retirement rep....then again, I have been known to do strange things like that.
asd.jpg
lol

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Lol sorry 1st time on here. Yes will call HR thought maybe others would know off hand or would like to know.
It's local dependent. I only have to work 1 day a month to get full credit. On of if not the only local like that though.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Lol sorry 1st time on here. Yes will call HR thought maybe others would know off hand or would like to know.
I'm just messin with ya! Welcome to the Brown Cafe, we derail everything and only give serious answers once in a while but we sure have alot of fun here.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
In the Central, it goes by hours. You need 1801 paid hours for a full year credit.

You can take over 5 weeks off unpaid and still hit the 1801.

For the service credit, you get 1 week credit for any hour worked that week. And if you have a service pension, you only need 40 weeks to receive 1 full year credit.

So you can take 12 weeks off and still get 1 full year credit. I believe your weeks of vacation are included in this 12. So if you have 5 weeks vacation, you can take 7 weeks off and still receive 1 year credit.

I am not 100% sure about the vacations, but who takes more than 5 weeks off unpaid? I would not worry too much about a day or two here and there.

You also get partial credit if you don't have enough hours worked for the full pension. I believe it is a monthly credit. 1 month for every 150 hours.

This is only for the Central. Other supplements and locals may be different.

working up a sweat

Keep an eye out on how many hours you work in a quarter year.

Not enough hours, you get a bill in the mail for COBRA health insurance.

1800 dollar bill for a month in the present, will make you forget about your pension that you will collect in 15 years.

Unless your on FMLA.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Most of us drivers work so much overtime that this is not an issue. However, some lazy types or folks with other jobs and/or high paid spouses, take so much time off that they have to start worrying if they have enough hours of credit. I have seen this happen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most of us drivers work so much overtime that this is not an issue. However, some lazy types or folks with other jobs and/or high paid spouses, take so much time off that they have to start worrying if they have enough hours of credit. I have seen this happen.

This may differ in your area but where I work the company does not contribute to our pension for OT hours.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This may differ in your area but where I work the company does not contribute to our pension for OT hours.

That's a good point. If a driver took one day off and worked only 32 hours and 5 hours of that overtime, would the company make a contribution on the 37 hours?

I'm not sure if our plan makes the distinction between type of hours worked. All I have read is the minimum requirement of hours needed.