do you like buttons?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Buttons was rescued as a fawn when his mother was killed by a car. He often greets me and scarfs down dogtreats,and will butt the dogs if he thinks they are getting too many of 'his' treats.If I have an apple to share he likes me even more.
buttons.jpg

satellitedriver

Cool.
Sadly, it is illegal in Texas to have a deer as a pet, unless one has a specific license.
Some folks bypass the law by putting a highly reflective break away collar on the deer.
Most local hunters respect the signal that it is someone pet.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
He is adorable and if he were on my route I would probably feed him too...but the sad reality is that is it almost always a bad idea to try and make a pet out of a wild animal. Whoever owns him should, at the very least, take him to a veterinarian and have him neutered. Otherwise, in a couple more years he is going to become an agressive, horny, 175 lb. buck deer with a big set of antlers once the autumn rut sets in. And if he gets loose into the wild, his lack of fear of humans is going to get him shot by a hunter.

Last edited:

trickpony1

Most local hunters respect the signal that it is someone pet.

But there are people out there that will shoot it just for the sheer thrill.
I know a feeder driver that had a pet deer complete with the orange collar that would roam his land.
It would eat out of his hand.
Someone shot it and left it for dead.

"The thrill is not to kill but to let live". This is a quote from a movie.
Goggle it. You might learn something.

soberups

I know a feeder driver that had a pet deer complete with the orange collar that would roam his land.

People like that are not hunters.

An ethical hunter would not shoot a tame animal wearing a collar.

People who do crap like that are poachers and lowlife scum. As a hunter, I dont like being put in the same category as them.

soberups

yeah i have thought about that too. i'll just have to keep tossing him dogtreats =)

You can buy "treats" for horses and goats that are basically compressed alfalfa pellets mixed with molasses. These would make a much better treat for a ruminant (cud chewing) animal such as a deer. Deer dont eat meat and are incapable of digesting it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We have a lot of those jackers here. I live across from hunting area. When I moved here, I still had my 4-wheeler.
I would go across and scare the crap out of the jackers. I didn't care what time it was. Take my million watt spot light and follow them all over. Stupid? yes. But, the DEC officer stopped at my house and thanked me for doing what none of them could. They are scared to jack a frog across the street, now.
Yeah, I could have been shot. But, I wasn't. :p

People like that are not hunters.

An ethical hunter would not shoot a tame animal wearing a collar.

People who do crap like that are poachers and lowlife scum. As a hunter, I dont like being put in the same category as them.

Agreed. A few years back, I was picking up my cuts from the processor, and noticed that one of the deer that he had mounted (he also did taxidermy) had an artificial leg, and he told me how a hunter shot it and brought it in. Never went back to there--if someone went through the cost of getting an implant for a deer, it had to be a pet that was shot illegally.

satellitedriver

Trick,
Maybe, you should learn something about me.
I live in the woodlands of North East Texas
and my 19 acres is a mini sanctuary for deer.
My wife use to work for a Vet, and she brought home a 1 day old sick fawn, whose mother had been killed.
We set it up in our bathroom.
Kept it warm and bottle feed it every 6 hrs and gave it medicine for 2 days.
She died in my arms.
When I buried her our Mimosa tree was in full bloom.
I dug the hole.
Placed her body in the cold clay and spread Mimosa blossoms over her, before I covered her up.
Been 30yrs since then, but every time I see a Mimosa tree bloom, I think of that fawn.
Trick,
I have killed for food.
I have killed to defend.
Never have I felt a thrill, in either.
Google and life experience are two separate things.

trickpony1

For any/all animal lovers out there, research this:

"until one has loved an animal........" finish the sentence.
(yes, I know the answer)

PS- Thank you satillitedriver for your efforts for the fawn!

I misspelled some stuff.

texan

I really believe that people that purposely and maliciously harm animals are not in a good place.
What you reap, you sow. I would not want to be in their shoes.

bigbrownhen

It's cool that the fawn was rescued. Since it has no fear of humans though, when it's grown it will be dangerous for both the deer and humans. I recomend a petting zoo or something similar for it. One that has ample pasture for it to roam and experience in careing for it. It won't be hunted and perhaps get lots of attention from people feeding it proper food.

soberups

For any/all animal lovers out there, research this:

"until one has loved an animal........" finish the sentence.
(yes, I know the answer)

PS- Thank you satillitedriver for your efforts for the fawn!

I misspelled some stuff.

We recently had a case here in Oregon where a woman "loved" the bears that came onto her property and, in violation of the law, would hand feed them grapes and cantaloupe.

The bears lost their fear of humans, and began aggressively begging for food from her neighbors. One of these bears wound up breaking into a neighbors house through the dog door, and proceeded to trash the interior of the house with a broken door stuck around its neck while the lady who lived there screamed in terror. Her husband wound up having to shoot that bear in self defense.

That bear died because of the selfish woman who wanted to feed "her" bears because she "loved" them. A person who truly loves wild animals needs to show that love by leaving them alone and, when necessary, letting nature take its course.