Do you think FedEx HD/Ground should re-instate the week-long driving/delivery course?

Should FedEx HD/ Ground re-instate their version of UPS' Integrad training?

• Total voters

HomeDelivery

it was almost similar to UPS's Integrad, but handled locally from hub-to-hub...

I've learned some things like AGKLM, SMOG, GOAL to name a few & that kept me accident free since 2007...

today's temps doesn't have that luxury of a full week training (paid at your local state's minimum wage rates) & this year they lowered their standards so they can fill out those rental vehicles for this upcoming peak season

as a trainer, some of these newer generation of workers just wants the "entitlement" but not work hard for the job.

for example, some trainees that i've had over the past two months doesn't click the seatbelt at every stop; ~SMOG~... i don't want to be going to someone's funeral because of this driver's stupidity

with UPS's boot-camp style training, they make sure you will do that or risk getting fired... also telematics will keep them working by-the-book (for the most part)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what say you, Ground / HD Management?

i mentioned this a few years ago that they recently didn't want to pay Mr. Smith-system the copyrights useage to use his "5 Seeing Habits" every year (i have no idea how UPS can pay the copyright fees and still operate "in the black")

They tried to instill their own version called SAFE (Survey Adjust Forecast Execute) but that went away like that 30-minute lunch break after 8 on-road hours...

one hub just makes the drivers go around the block, while another still uses cones-in-the-parking-lot and do some of those drills that was similar to the dog-pony show over the summer

although not all of them drink the kool-aid, kudos for you guys/gals that stay SAFE no matter what opco you're working for!
FedEx to Send 132 Drivers to National Truck Driving Championships | FedEx Newsroom

CJinx

Re: Do you think FedEx HD/Ground should re-instate the week-long driving/delivery cou

For the temporary drivers who will be working directly for us, yes; however it is up to the IC/ISP to determine what level of training is sufficient for their own drivers and/or seasonal temps.

HomeDelivery

Re: Do you think FedEx HD/Ground should re-instate the week-long driving/delivery cou

so are you saying that you have some sort of temp driver's training week in place at your hub?

or are they pairing them up w/ vets to give them a glimpse of what it's really like out there with a FULL LOAD, not just 30-50 stops per day?

STFXG

The program is still there. We can pay fedex to send our drivers through their program. They just don't offer it for free anymore (we are independent).

The cone course is just to test ability. It's not any kind of training.