Do you think this warning letter for a late Early AM is justified?

Was the warning letter justified?

• yes

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • no

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • chicken pot pie

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
We have a driver in our center who for the past several years has ALWAYS requested Driver Assistance on Over Weight Packages. He has gotten multiple warning letters for not delivering OW by 'sliding' the packages to the rear of the truck and then pushing onto the hand trucks( of course ALL of these letters have been dropped when challenged as the contract is very clear regarding hourly assistance)

Monday he had an Early AM that was over weight and notified management before he left the building he would need hourly assistance. As the morning is always an absolute madhouse in our building he was told to leave,and that the building would" be in touch"

He runs his Early AM's,goes to the business of the OW ,and delivers everything but the OW. He calls the center and is told no help is available and to "make do"

The customer offers to help the driver get it off the truck but the drivers refuses his help saying a non UPS employee is NOT allowed in the Package Car.

The drivers returns 2 hours later with help and makes the delivery. The customer is FURIOUS and files several corporate complaints. The center manager nearly had a stroke over this and issued a warning letter.

so what say ye?

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Though we are allowed help with OW by contract that doesn't prevent a person from working smart. He was offered help on site by the customer. The customer never would have needed to enter package car if said OW was slide to the back of package car or out of side door onto cart.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
It's amazing the extent that some drivers will go just to be a royal pain. This guy seems to be content to give management all the rope they need to hang him. Just do the job and take care of the customer.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
We have a driver in our center who for the past several years has ALWAYS requested Driver Assistance on Over Weight Packages. He has gotten multiple warning letters for not delivering OW by 'sliding' the packages to the rear of the truck and then pushing onto the hand trucks( of course ALL of these letters have been dropped when challenged as the contract is very clear regarding hourly assistance)

Monday he had an Early AM that was over weight and notified management before he left the building he would need hourly assistance. As the morning is always an absolute madhouse in our building he was told to leave,and that the building would" be in touch"

He runs his Early AM's,goes to the business of the OW ,and delivers everything but the OW. He calls the center and is told no help is available and to "make do"

The customer offers to help the driver get it off the truck but the drivers refuses his help saying a non UPS employee is NOT allowed in the Package Car.

The drivers returns 2 hours later with help and makes the delivery. The customer is FURIOUS and files several corporate complaints. The center manager nearly had a stroke over this and issued a warning letter.

so what say ye?

Ye says I like your driver. A man who stands strong and firm. Rules are rules. Years ago, I went through something similar, when management wouldn't give me any assistance with OW's. Like your boy, they told me to ask the customer to help me unload the OW's. When I told management the customer was asking if he got hurt would UPS pay for his injuries, the issue died, and I was sent help.

Indecisi0n

Does the driver have any type of medical disability? I am a ball buster but I would have taken help from the customer. Slide the package to the rear or side door so the customer doesn't have to get into the truck and be done with it. It's obvious the customer really wanted the package and for him to make them wait 2 hrs after he delivered their ground is a slap in the face.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pain in the ass? I call it the contract. If its good enough for us, it's good enough for UPS.

The contract in no way precludes the use of common sense.

When the weight limit increased from 70 to 150lbs we had a driver (no longer works here) who refused to deliver a 71lb package without hourly help.

The pkg in question here is an EAM. Customers use this service when they absolutely have to have the pkg first thing in the morning. The customer offered to help the driver move the pkg from the rear of the car to the delivery location.

The driver was simply being an ass.