Dock to Driver...

Let me go at it this way; I'm looking to get my CDL...where would be a good place to get my CDL and some experience (SWIFT, C.R. England, etc)...that would give me a good chance of getting in w/UPS Freight?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Let me go at it this way; I'm looking to get my CDL...where would be a good place to get my CDL and some experience (SWIFT, C.R. England, etc)...that would give me a good chance of getting in w/UPS Freight?
There's almost no freight people on here that i know of so you may be out of luck on info.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
have you gone to a Freight Hub and asked? companies you listed will train but usually need a one year commitment with their company.

you can also go to your state employment office and ask about free or low cost training programs for CDL.

I was afraid of that...I know Freight is new to the union side of UPS. Well, anyone who may have some insight...I'm open to that too...but first hand exp. is always the best.

olroadbeech, I actually interviewed for a PT-Dockworker position a few days ago...they seemed very interested and when I said I wanted to get my CDL and become a driver...they said they need at least two drivers immediately. +plus, I see a lot of posted driver jobs for freight...I thought it might be to my advantage to get on w/one of the mega carriers...have them pay for my CDL...get a year or so of OTR and then start applying like crazy to freight.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Go to Teamster.org and look for the freight contract (it's under the package division). I know there is something in there about getting your CDL, but it might only be entitled to use company equipment for the test. From what I've heard, sometimes they'll have a supe train you, sometimes they'll let a coworker (on his own, unpaid time) train you in the yard.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
olroadbeech, I actually interviewed for a PT-Dockworker position a few days ago...they seemed very interested and when I said I wanted to get my CDL and become a driver...they said they need at least two drivers immediately. +plus, I see a lot of posted driver jobs for freight...I thought it might be to my advantage to get on w/one of the mega carriers...have them pay for my CDL...get a year or so of OTR and then start applying like crazy to freight.
you may be better off getting trained by Freight. depends on how big the hub is and how much volume. You can also move up fast at FedEx. our delivery driver was only working on the dock for 6 months and now has a pretty good rural route. I guess a lot of it has to do with where you are.

it would pay to do a lot more homework. be a pita and ask a lot of questions to a lot of people.

you may be better off getting trained by Freight. depends on how big the hub is and how much volume. You can also move up fast at FedEx. our delivery driver was only working on the dock for 6 months and now has a pretty good rural route. I guess a lot of it has to do with where you are.

it would pay to do a lot more homework. be a pita and ask a lot of questions to a lot of people.

When I say Freight...I mean UPS Freight :) The mega trucking carriers like SWIFT, C.R. England, etc offer free CDL training, etc. So, after a year I wouldn't have any obligation to them and I would meet UPS Freights 1 year minimum experience requirement. I just wanted to see if anyone was a UPS Freight or UPS CDL-A Holder (Feeder) and had any advise.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I don't have any first hand knowledge, but from what I've heard, the 'free' CDL from those truckload carriers is not such a good deal. I do know Swift was at least investigated, and probably fined for predatory practices. The training itself is probably OK, but they pressure you into leasing the equipment. Now you're making payments and responsible for fuel/maintenance/repairs/breakdowns/compliance while at the mercy of their dispatcher, stuck sitting in a truck stop for days at a time. And if your wheels aren't turning with a load in back, you are not making any money. And if you get in any accident, regardless of whose fault, expect to be kicked out of the truck immediately with no transportation home. If you can avoid the equipment lease trap and 1099 contractor status, and work as an actual employee it might be OK.

Really I would say try to get on with an LTL carrier that will train you, do some more research. I'm not sure UPSF is a good place for someone starting out. If I was trying to get into freight trucking, I'd be trying to get in at ABF.

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but from what I've heard, the 'free' CDL from those truckload carriers is not such a good deal. I do know Swift was at least investigated, and probably fined for predatory practices. The training itself is probably OK, but they pressure you into leasing the equipment. Now you're making payments and responsible for fuel/maintenance/repairs/breakdowns/compliance while at the mercy of their dispatcher, stuck sitting in a truck stop for days at a time. And if your wheels aren't turning with a load in back, you are not making any money. And if you get in any accident, regardless of whose fault, expect to be kicked out of the truck immediately with no transportation home. If you can avoid the equipment lease trap and 1099 contractor status, and work as an actual employee it might be OK.

Really I would say try to get on with an LTL carrier that will train you, do some more research. I'm not sure UPSF is a good place for someone starting out. If I was trying to get into freight trucking, I'd be trying to get in at ABF.

I've also been in contact w/ABF. You must have a CDL and at least 1-year of over-the-road (OTR) experience to be a driver w/them. Not a real solid training program there from a guy on the street (me) to obtaining a CDL and becoming a driver.

sppollock

Okay, sorry I haven't been on in awhile. There is supposed to be a training program for UPS Freight sometime in the future per the latest contract, but as we know things move slowly around here. The best bet would be to work as a part time dock as you go to truck driving school and then once you get your cdl you are already hired on by the company and will get promoted before anyone off the street. We have a dock worker that just finished school and is waiting for a position to open up so he can become a driver.

If money is an issue then go to swift and get your cdl and get that year experience, good luck.

Okay, sorry I haven't been on in awhile. There is supposed to be a training program for UPS Freight sometime in the future per the latest contract, but as we know things move slowly around here. The best bet would be to work as a part time dock as you go to truck driving school and then once you get your cdl you are already hired on by the company and will get promoted before anyone off the street. We have a dock worker that just finished school and is waiting for a position to open up so he can become a driver.

If money is an issue then go to swift and get your cdl and get that year experience, good luck.

Are you a UPS Freight Driver? Well, I just applied last week for a PT-Dockworker position...they said I would hear back from them soon. That sounds positive. However, I don't have any freight dock experience and I don't have a real strong forklift background. You mentioned SWIFT...I know their school is PTDI certified (Teamster's seem to like that). Is SWIFT any better then the rest of them...for getting in w/UPS? Thanks!

yossarian

Tell your state eco that these companies will hire you if they can help u get a cdl. U can call swift,hunt,warner,ect and just get a name to give to the state.

sppollock

Yes I'm a freight driver and I mentioned swift because they aww the easiest to get hired by. Previous forklift experience doesn't matter because UPS wants you to learn our bad habits and come in with your own. Good luck and keep us informed...