Doctor note for absence

NextDayAir

I’ve been out 5 days due to a serious illness my wife is dealing with. Am I obligated to bring a doctors note to my supervisor? My wife feels it would be a violation of her privacy and does not want me to hand over any sort of note. Does anyone know if I’m obligated by the contract or anything else to bring in the note?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Apply for FMLA if UPS gives you a hard time. You don't need to give a note because it doesn't demonstrate your need to miss work. FMLA however is protected leave and they can't do squat unless what they do is illegal (which they still may do)

NerdGirl

I’ve been out 5 days due to a serious illness my wife is dealing with. Am I obligated to bring a doctors note to my supervisor? My wife feels it would be a violation of her privacy and does not want me to hand over any sort of note. Does anyone know if I’m obligated by the contract or anything else to bring in the note?
Well just typing that gives it away.... Anywho...
What's wrong with a doctor's note? It shows your not lying and just decided to take a vacation. Doctor's notes don't give details of what you are being seen for unless you ask them to include it. All they will see is a doctor excused you from such and such dates and then don't blab about it to your manager or co-workers.

Depends on your local supplement after 3 days here we need a doctor's note.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
What if you ran a business and your employee didn’t show up for 5 days? What would you expect him to do?

NextDayAir

Apply for FMLA if UPS gives you a hard time. You don't need to give a note because it doesn't demonstrate your need to miss work. FMLA however is protected leave and they can't do squat unless what they do is illegal (which they still may do)
So you think it’ll be ok if I do not give my supervisor the note? Correct? Thank you for taking the time by the way

bumped

I'm confused. Please enlighten me. Whats the big deal about a doctors note? In my cases for FMLA I needed the doctor to fill out the paperwork for the leave anyway.

542thruNthru

What if he doesn't have enough hours or time with the company?

ManInBrown

They don’t write on the note what is wrong. My advice, get it in case they ask for it. But don’t volunteer it on your own. Many factors go into them asking for it or giving you a hard time. Do they like you? You a runner? Here more then 3 consecutive days you need a note.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I'm confused. Please enlighten me. Whats the big deal about a doctors note? In my cases for FMLA I needed the doctor to fill out the paperwork for the leave anyway.

You missed 5 days of work for your wife. You're the one who works here and missed 5 days of work not your wife, a doctor's note for her does not excuse you from working. You had better get on the FMLA train or you will be looking for another job since they could classify you as abandoning the job. Hope things work out for you.

CoolStoryBro

Doctor's notes are not a violation of privacy...

They go like this

"Mr X was under my care from 1-1-04 to 1-7-04.
He is ok to return to work." Signed Doctor Y.

How is that a a violation? It lets work know that you won't come back sick and give everyone AIDS.

clean hairy

If you were off an entire week, you may not have health insurance coverage for that week.
In your case, the Dr note might be worded "please excuse joe doe absence from work for the dates of x-x with a return to work date of x"
He was caring for his spouse who was under my care for these dates"
Joe may return to work on the date of x"
"HIPPA prohibits any details"
Dated and signed by Dr xyz
The last line prohibits any questions about specifics
You CAN say she was ill and is now better if you wish