Does a center have to fill ft spots after someone retires or gets fired?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The 9.5 rule will basically give free money to all drivers on the 9.5 list because it's cheaper for UPS to pay the triple time than to pay a drivers wage, benes, and pension contributions. But he should be pretty close.
that's EXACTLY what happens

CFLBrown

When the contract is finally ratified your husband will only have to get 150 reports in the coming year to go fulltime. This is one of the new additions of the Southern Supplement

156 reports will create a FT job. It would be put up for bid and given to the highest seniority person.

Look for a massive increase in OT to avoid this.

Mrs UPS

156 reports will create a FT job. It would be put up for bid and given to the highest seniority person.

So it's not looking too good for us. We are #2 on the seniority list. Every year is center manager tells him next year, it should happen next year. And every year it is the same story. He drives, drives, drives, and then it gets cut back to basically nothing. The do a really good job of telling you what you want to hear. I wish he had other opportunities to pursue.

Thank you for all of the helpful feeback.

Overpaid Union Thug

So it's not looking too good for us. We are #2 on the seniority list. Every year is center manager tells him next year, it should happen next year. And every year it is the same story. He drives, drives, drives, and then it gets cut back to basically nothing. The do a really good job of telling you what you want to hear. I wish he had other opportunities to pursue.

Thank you for all of the helpful feeback.

This is something that happens to virtually each and every TCD at UPS. Managers and OnCar sups feed them this line as a way to convince them there is light at the end of a short tunnel but in reality that tunnel is always much much longer than they are leading on. This is done to reduce turnover. Many TCDs will just opt out for a more stable day job or just quit UPS if their sups told them the truth.

With that said..... being number two on the TCD list can be good. I was actually never the top TCD in our center. I was hired fulltime before reaching number one. I would work at least three days a week and usually run air on the days I wasn't covering and also worked my regular shift those nights. I also ran Saturday air. Once I wa topped out as an air driver the money got pretty good. I easily cleared $40/k year as a TCD/Air driver.

Last edited:

Mrs UPS

He runs Sat. air and is topped out there and also goes in to local sort when he doesn't drive. He will clear over that for 2013. It's just we've been waiting and waiting for that to increase substantially....for years. I suppose we are being greedy, but we are ready for him to make the pay of a ft driver. Seven years, 3 kids later, we need consistency. Thanks for listening to my sob story. We will keep our heads up and keep on keeping on. All we can do.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

we'be been working to 830-9 pm since May and making HUGE bank on 9.5 grievances,they cant work us much more next year

CFLBrown

we'be been working to 830-9 pm since May and making HUGE bank on 9.5 grievances,they cant work us much more next year

I totally understand that. There isn't much more they can squeeze out but they will try. The company doesn't want to hire more drivers, its about share prices and stock holders not customer service.

Notcool

Ha, I have been loading for 7 years. I'm like number nine on the seniority list to temp/seasonal drive. I'd love to be in your husband shoes.

Mrs UPS

It wouldn't be as bad if they told you on the front end it could be 10 years before you are ft driver. Instead they lie to get you to quit your current job and cover drive for them...and then lead you on year after year. It is impossible for him to work a second job too since he never knows what days he will drive during the week. I know it could be worse. I feel for all of you and your families who are in this waiting game..

HomeDelivery

guess it really depends on the location... some hubs are like a revolving door for drivers while others have good drivers with strong work ethics that can stay for the long haul.

my area, i can be brought in from the street now & already know it's "at-will" after peak ends. I'm already doing what your husband is doing without the extra bennies (wife has a better career w/ great benifits)