Does anyone else pull a TP-60?

ManUtd32780

This extra $0.10/hr isn't all it's cracked up to be. I drop it off for a remote center and the POS drags my car down to a whopping 61 mph. Driving up I-95 at a snails pace while getting the finger from angry motorists isn't my idea of a good time.

UPS had a choice: they could add drivers or they could figure out a way for the existing drivers to carry more packages. Hence, the TP-60s. They don't care about mileage or pissing off other motorists.

bigbrownhen

I don't pull one now on my current route, but I have on others. Having pulled trailers, either cattle or boat trailers for years, I had some experience going into it.
The extra pay isn't worth the added stress of pulling and backing a trailer that you can't see behind you. They are a royal pain, especially if you have to move it around a tight parking lot. I'm glad I don't have a route that has one.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Yes, I agree with you. 10 cents is not what it merits. Pull to remote area, help unload(only alotted 15 mins),I get to start my area an hr behind. Maybe 25 cents?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This extra $0.10/hr isn't all it's cracked up to be. I drop it off for a remote center and the POS drags my car down to a whopping 61 mph. Driving up I-95 at a snails pace while getting the finger from angry motorists isn't my idea of a good time.
Stop driving in the fast lane.:surprised:

Pulling a TP-60 gave me some experience for feeder plus it meant my truck wasn`t always bricked out. Take the money and run.

Overpaid Union Thug

Pulling a TP-60 is an easy way to make bonus (if you are in a bonus center) because in many cases the trailer is loaded for you throughout the day while you are out delivering.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Ive been pulling one every day for over 16 yrs.

Here, its an extra .25 per hour. Once you get used to backing it up and have a routine down, its pretty easy.

I pull mine with one of the new P-7's with the turbodiesel, it has plenty of power for towing. I used to have a P-8 with the 4.3 liter v-6 and a 4 speed, and that POS was underpowered to the point of being dangerous to drive on the highway with a trailer. The new diesels are the only safe way to pull a trailer in my opinion.

One nice thing about having a trailer is that you cannot shag your own air in the AM; all of my extended air gets cut to someone else so I wind up with a very consistent dispatch.

JonFrum

I move a TP-60 once in a while, but only on UPS property.

In the old days we used a package car to move a TP-60. In recent years we use a forklift with a ball/hitch attachment that slides onto the forks.

Here in New England package car drivers don't get any extra pay for pulling a TP-60. Just the joy.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Ive been pulling one every day for over 16 yrs.

Here, its an extra .25 per hour. Once you get used to backing it up and have a routine down, its pretty easy.

I pull mine with one of the new P-7's with the turbodiesel, it has plenty of power for towing. I used to have a P-8 with the 4.3 liter v-6 and a 4 speed, and that POS was underpowered to the point of being dangerous to drive on the highway with a trailer. The new diesels are the only safe way to pull a trailer in my opinion.

One nice thing about having a trailer is that you cannot shag your own air in the AM; all of my extended air gets cut to someone else so I wind up with a very consistent dispatch.
You get .25, drive a deisel and don't have to do all of your air? You work at a totally different UPS than I do.:knockedout:

I move a TP-60 once in a while, but only on UPS property.

In the old days we used a package car to move a TP-60. In recent years we use a forklift with a ball/hitch attachment that slides onto the forks.

Here in New England package car drivers don't get any extra pay for pulling a TP-60. Just the joy.
Yet another franchise.

3 done 3 to go

satellitedriverYou help unload?
They just drop and go here.

Yes. It says in their guidebook that satellite area must be assisted loading. It took quite a while to get this direction. At first they said i had to help load then do a full days work. After filing numerous over 9.5's. They said not to help at all. Went on for a week. Satellite driver had terrible numbers. Now I help load for 15 mins. It helps us
both pretty well. In their numbers anyway. Still work up to 9.5 every day. 30 cents extra an hr. Need to get business agent involved to find this so called guidebook.

3 done 3 to go

I work in an extended route. Leave at 9. Get to satellite 9 30. Help load my 15 mins. Do average 85 stops 180 miles. Back to get trailer 6-6 15 back to center by 6 45- 7. Over 9.5 atleast 2 days a week. Most of the time for 5 stops. Which is about 50 miles extra.

3 done 3 to go

I don't think it is to hard to back up at all. Have no problem backing into building between other trucks. Go slow. We have a little center. 25 areas. A building with a belt going down the center.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I pull a TP60 out to a satelite with an automatic P1000 with a turbo diesel. It makes the miles and hills much easier to handle and the high back rest on the seat is a dream as well. As far as the work, it seems that as far as UPS was concerned that was my problem. My plan day is off the chart every day and I have brought this to thier attention on many occasions and they just say theres nothing they can do. As far as Im concerned I just work as directed and by the book. Also out here in Ca. you can only drive 55 MPH with a trailor so imagine how long that takes. As far as the pay I beleive that its just 15 cents extra, my pay rate is 29.695 an hour. However I am interested to see if what 10 2 GO said applies to our local supplement. If your in a bonus center you will love the bonus, if not its a headache thats not worth 15 cents. Anyhow good luck.