Does Anyone Have First-Hand Experience with Same Day City Courier?`

Yozh69

Currently working PT as a courier with Express but not getting enough hours. I can deal with a $2hr pay cut to get full-time work as 20hrs is not cutting it.

A couple FedEx Office Same Day Courier positions have opened up nearby and I'm wondering if it would be worth pursuing. Not looking to make FedEx a career, just a means to an end to pay the rent and finish my degree to start my second career.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Currently working PT as a courier with Express but not getting enough hours. I can deal with a $2hr pay cut to get full-time work as 20hrs is not cutting it.

A couple FedEx Office Same Day Courier positions have opened up nearby and I'm wondering if it would be worth pursuing. Not looking to make FedEx a career, just a means to an end to pay the rent and finish my degree to start my second career.

No.

overflowed

You can go to a metro station in your state and get a full time job in a month.

Yozh69

You can go to a metro station in your state and get a full time job in a month.

You mean latch-on as PT and then pick-up FT or find a FT position already open? I've thought about doing that. The nearest metro area is about 60 miles one-way. They do have a FT position open right now for about a $1.50 more an hour than I make now. If I put in for that and get accepted, do I make the new rate or get paid what I'm currently making?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You mean latch-on as PT and then pick-up FT or find a FT position already open? I've thought about doing that. The nearest metro area is about 60 miles one-way. They do have a FT position open right now for about a $1.50 more an hour than I make now. If I put in for that and get accepted, do I make the new rate or get paid what I'm currently making?

If the FT position is in a higher market rate, you will get an increase in pay.

Yozh69

Perhaps. But what fun is that? ;) Honestly though the commute would probably be the deciding factor. If it sucks, I probably won't even go to the station.

I love to drive, but only if I'm getting paid for it :)

Purplepackage

Perhaps. But what fun is that? ;) Honestly though the commute would probably be the deciding factor. If it sucks, I probably won't even go to the station.

I love to drive, but only if I'm getting paid for it :)

Well think about this, it's peak you are working 10-12 hours a day regulary would you really want a 120 mile round trip commute?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Ya, you'll be using 2 days just to cover the commute cost.

How about ground or HD? They work 50 up to 70 hours a week...:surprised:

Yozh69

Yeah, you'll be using maybe 2 days a week just for fuel and other commute expenses
Yeah. The good part is since there is a $1.50hr pay increase that would pay for my increased commute expenses. The additional commute time itself would probably end up being the deciding factor.

Purplepackage

Yeah. The good part is since there is a $1.50hr pay increase that would pay for my increased commute expenses. The additional commute time itself would probably end up being the deciding factor.

Just throwing one more thing out there, are you letting your managers know you want more hours? Are you volunteering to do anything? I don't know if you work am or pm but in the am you can always find a couple guys who don't want to work and take some p2 from them to get at least 6 hours on the day, I know it's not much but the one guy at my station gets 35-40 hours a week being part time

Yozh69

I work PM. On Saturdays the manager tosses me a bone when he has them so I usually work a few extra hours then. I've told the managers I'm available in the AM. Hell even said I'd do singing telegrams if they wanted :) A few months ago they forbade part-timers from picking-up extra hours doing p2's at our station. Not sure if that's still the case.

Purplepackage

I work PM. On Saturdays the manager tosses me a bone when he has them so I usually work a few extra hours then. I've told the managers I'm available in the AM. Hell even said I'd do singing telegrams if they wanted :) A few months ago they forbade part-timers from picking-up extra hours doing p2's at our station. Not sure if that's still the case.

I'd check the p2 thing again, new fiscal year started. Of course we only have 2 part timers at a small station so we really do need them more often the not.

Can you stay or re load after your pup route?

overflowed

Just throwing one more thing out there, are you letting your managers know you want more hours? Are you volunteering to do anything? I don't know if you work am or pm but in the am you can always find a couple guys who don't want to work and take some p2 from them to get at least 6 hours on the day, I know it's not much but the one guy at my station gets 35-40 hours a week being part time
PP package is right, at my station pt'ers work more hours than full time if they want. Metro stations mostly, I've been in smaller stations and most full timers will work all available extra hours.
I see what your saying. Have you considered taking a FT position in the metro area and moving there? Take it, do your commitment and try to transfer back to your area when it opens up.
part timers in a lot of metro areas work 55-60 hrs a week consistently where I've been. But, you have to make it known you're willing to work.