Does anyone here use property passes at their location?

mr_bennet

I don't quite understand what they're for.

I went in for an interview last week and I have to call to find out my start date, but doing the tour I was told there was 2 things you could do with your personal items: Put them in the locker or get a property pass from the security guard.

I was thinking the easiest thing to do was just put it in the locker but 2 of the employees let me know that items have been stolen from the lockers before and the guy giving me the tour didn't deny it. I catch the bus so I do have to bring certain items with me.

helenofcalifornia

If it's just a tour, I don't see how they can make you store your stuff. (But I might leave my valuables in the car for now) Ask on the tour what their policy is and options.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have an idiotic "clean in--clean out" policy whereby you are supposed to have a sticker placed upon your cell phone or ipod to prove that it is yours and you didnt steal it. We also have a metal detector in our guard shack that we have to walk thru to get in or out. The guard shack is slightly larger than a phone booth, with steel doors, so the metal detector screeches whenever the door opens or shuts. The "guards" (unarmed, minimum-wage, non-English speaking for the most part) have stopped paying attention to the metal detector and we just walk thru and set it off without bothering to stop. I replaced my cellphone 6 months ago and no one gave me a new sticker for it or bothered to ask if it was mine.

mr_bennet

If it's just a tour, I don't see how they can make you store your stuff. (But I might leave my valuables in the car for now) Ask on the tour what their policy is and options.
I took the tour already. I'm just wondering about when I start working and I have to bring my phone and my keys. I don't have a car so I would have to keep those 2 items on me.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
mr_bennet,
Just get a sticker for the cell phone and keep it and your keys in your pocket. Some places don't allow cell phones, so they should have a locker to put stuff in.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We have an idiotic "clean in--clean out" policy whereby you are supposed to have a sticker placed upon your cell phone or ipod to prove that it is yours and you didnt steal it. We also have a metal detector in our guard shack that we have to walk thru to get in or out. The guard shack is slightly larger than a phone booth, with steel doors, so the metal detector screeches whenever the door opens or shuts. The "guards" (unarmed, minimum-wage, non-English speaking for the most part) have stopped paying attention to the metal detector and we just walk thru and set it off without bothering to stop. I replaced my cellphone 6 months ago and no one gave me a new sticker for it or bothered to ask if it was mine.

thanks for typing up my post for me. saved me a lot of finger tapping.

At our center it seems everyone has a cell phone and I have never heard of a clean in...clean out policy till I read it here.
I would think it's pretty easy to prove if a cell phone is your's or not.

Security has always been a joke at UPS. Small and remote buildings usually have no security at all. No guard shack, employees park right next to building, no guards and no LP person. Large buildings usually have a dedicated security staff. Staffed guard shack with clean-in/clean-out policy, property passes issued for personal property, 24/7 security guards and at least one LP person. As you can see, security goes from one extreme to the other in regards to building size.

sillyputty

Hmmm... we have no security where I work and it's not a huge building, but it's not tiny or remote either. I suppose maybe by larger city/hub standards it's small. We're a center, but we're the largest center in the state.

Then again we've also had a few people fired for stealing (from packages) in the past year... When they suspect something, you see a few security people walking around talking to people. I think they come from somewhere else though because I have no idea who they are and only see them when they're investigating.

Channahon

Security has always been a joke at UPS. Small and remote buildings usually have no security at all. No guard shack, employees park right next to building, no guards and no LP person. Large buildings usually have a dedicated security staff. Staffed guard shack with clean-in/clean-out policy, property passes issued for personal property, 24/7 security guards and at least one LP person. As you can see, security goes from one extreme to the other in regards to building size.

UPS does a wonderful job in analyzing data, and in most cases the larger buildings (hubs) is where employee theft is more prevalent. So Security resources are staffed accordingly.

Similiar to metro and rural areas and visibility of police officers. Large cities have their own police force, and many rural areas may have their own resources, but generally are assisted the state or county.

It's all a matter of using personnel effectively from a cost perspective. JMO

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
[/b]

UPS does a wonderful job in analyzing data, and in most cases the larger buildings (hubs) is where employee theft is more prevalent. So Security resources are staffed accordingly.
I dont have a problem with security. What I do have a problem with....is pretending to have security. At my location, someone from Corporate wrote a memo one day and decided that we needed a metal detector, but then they tried to do it on the cheap and wound up with a system that is essentially worthless. Either do it right or dont do it at all.

Upslady20

We are a small building with the large open bay doors where you have three cars parked and in full view since the doors close just in front of them. There are about 15 cars on each side of the building. They just recently decided that we have to walk in the pedestrian doors for our safety instead of walking right up to your package car. It is the silliest thing.. They bought some plastic rope chain and put it up in the doorways since they have to keep the doors open or you would have heat stroke in the buillding.
Our center manager has a fit when he sees you moving his chain before start time and walking through the open door. After walking in to the building for over 15 years that way it is hard to break that habit..

Mike Hawk

It's so people stick to the designated walkways in the yard, making it easier for drivers to see them. We are supposed to walk through the man doors, but recently they put up signs next to the 2 closest bay doors saying "pedestrian and vehicle door", doesn't really make sense.