Does anyone know about disability retirement?

Ouch

I'm looking for anyone that may know anything about drawing a disability retirement from the union. I was forced out due to restrictions put on me from the doc. I had 18 years of service. 6 part time and 12 full time package. I didn't know if i could draw anything now at 43 or if I still needed to wait till I'm 62? Thanks for any help.

onestoptogo

You need to apply for Social Security Disability. If you get that approved you will get your Teamsters disability pension. That is the criteria to receive it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
you can apply for social security disability online. Be prepared to provide all your doctors' phone numbers, appointments you were there and any and all meds you take. It takes at least 2 hours to fill everything out. If you leave something out they need, they will call you and ask you. They assign a person to your case, and they are the ones you communicate with. It took about 3 months for them to process me.

Ouch

It's a messed up deal about work. I can drive but it hurts to sit for a long time. I end up having to lay down to get the pressure off the disk. I take 2 oxycontin a day plus a regular oxy for break thru pain. I ddon't know of anyone that would hire someone taking narcotics. I would have loved to finish my career but they had nothing for me. Some mornings i can get out of bed at 7 some mornings it 10:30. My condition varies day to day. I found out from the hall about my retirement and appreciate the feed back. I have filed for ssi thru my lawyer and of course we are going thru the appeal process. Thanks again.

balland chain

It's a messed up deal about work. I can drive but it hurts to sit for a long time. I end up having to lay down to get the pressure off the disk. I take 2 oxycontin a day plus a regular oxy for break thru pain. I ddon't know of anyone that would hire someone taking narcotics. I would have loved to finish my career but they had nothing for me. Some mornings i can get out of bed at 7 some mornings it 10:30. My condition varies day to day. I found out from the hall about my retirement and appreciate the feed back. I have filed for ssi thru my lawyer and of course we are going thru the appeal process. Thanks again.

balland chain

I am in the same boat as you.. I just went to my surgeon and I am no longer able to do my job.. Now my attorney has to hash it out with UPS…Stay strong and don't settle for less that what you feel is fair.. I too applied for SSI disability over a year ago and of course it was denied.. I filed an appeal and yet to hear back from them.. I hope and pray for a fair settlement. It has been a long and painful time that I just want over. I have quite a few restrictions that will make it very hard for me to find another job, so I am leaving it in GOD's hands.. Best of luck, and one note of advice…Don't talk to anybody about your case.. My manager called me for the first time since I have been out, and I did not answer.. I am sure he got wind of my restrictions and ratings and is trying to minimize the damage by trying to get me to say something .. If he cared so much about my well being, why did he not call once a month when I was having to have two surgeries?? If they call, let your voice mail pick up & save the message just incase he/she gets belligerent ! Best of luck, you will be in my prayers..

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Another driver who went thru the process at work told me 60% of the people who apply get denied the first time. Then 60% of the people who re-apply the second time get accepted. I was also told that if you get a lawyer to handle your case, his fee is based upon what your back pay check is. I believe when they do accept you, they go back and pay you 6 months worth of back pay, then your monthly payments start the next calendar month after that. I applied online and it took me like 3 hours to fill out their forms. If they have any questions, they will call you. (they called me twice) twice I went up to the SS place that was handling my case to bring them copies of stuff they required. I could have mailed it or faxed it, but I didn't want to take the chance of it going to the wrong people. They assign you a number to your case so that you can go online to check the status. Mine always said they were still reviewing my case, and they would notify me by mail of their final decision.

Ouch

[quoe="balland chain, post: 1325081, member: 43608"]I am in the same boat as you.. I just went to my surgeon and I am no longer able to do my job.. Now my attorney has to hash it out with UPS…Stay strong and don't settle for less that what you feel is fair.. I too applied for SSI disability over a year ago and of course it was denied.. I filed an appeal and yet to hear back from them.. I hope and pray for a fair settlement. It has been a long and painful time that I just want over. I have quite a few restrictions that will make it very hard for me to find another job, so I am leaving it in GOD's hands.. Best of luck, and one note of advice…Don't talk to anybody about your case.. My manager called me for the first time since I have been out, and I did not answer.. I am sure he got wind of my restrictions and ratings and is trying to minimize the damage by trying to get me to say something .. If he cared so much about my well being, why did he not call once a month when I was having to have two surgeries?? If they call, let your voice mail pick up & save the message just incase he/she gets belligerent ! Best of luck, you will be in my prayers..[/quote]
You In mine as well. It's a long hard road and if it weren't for my wife being an RN and having a great job we would have lost everything a long time ago. Some are not that lucky and lose it all. Best of luck to you and I hope you get what you ask for.

balland chain

[quoe="balland chain, post: 1325081, member: 43608"]I am in the same boat as you.. I just went to my surgeon and I am no longer able to do my job.. Now my attorney has to hash it out with UPS…Stay strong and don't settle for less that what you feel is fair.. I too applied for SSI disability over a year ago and of course it was denied.. I filed an appeal and yet to hear back from them.. I hope and pray for a fair settlement. It has been a long and painful time that I just want over. I have quite a few restrictions that will make it very hard for me to find another job, so I am leaving it in GOD's hands.. Best of luck, and one note of advice…Don't talk to anybody about your case.. My manager called me for the first time since I have been out, and I did not answer.. I am sure he got wind of my restrictions and ratings and is trying to minimize the damage by trying to get me to say something .. If he cared so much about my well being, why did he not call once a month when I was having to have two surgeries?? If they call, let your voice mail pick up & save the message just incase he/she gets belligerent ! Best of luck, you will be in my prayers..
You In mine as well. It's a long hard road and if it weren't for my wife being an RN and having a great job we would have lost everything a long time ago. Some are not that lucky and lose it all. Best of luck to you and I hope you get what you ask for.[/quote]

Have you settled your case??? Feel free to send me a personal message .. I have been trying to locate how to do that and have yet been able to find it.. I am very curious as to how all this works… Thanks

Lwms

Feeling your pain . Over a year ago I took a day off for a doctor appointment and he never let me come back ! After 3 surgeries and 5 disc fusions I retired Jan 31. But I have been thru the disability process . It is a no win situation . The union insurance filed mine for me (cant say enuff good about her ) and the long term ups benefit kicked in after 6 months . Good luck hope I helped

balland chain

Feeling your pain . Over a year ago I took a day off for a doctor appointment and he never let me come back ! After 3 surgeries and 5 disc fusions I retired Jan 31. But I have been thru the disability process . It is a no win situation . The union insurance filed mine for me (cant say enuff good about her ) and the long term ups benefit kicked in after 6 months . Good luck hope I helped

Were you able to get union disability on top of your pension ?? I have my mediation next month.. I am unable to return to work due to my injury.. I figured I will get my settlement and start getting my pension..

Ouch

[quoballand chain, post: 1329032, member: 43608"]Were you able to get union disability on top of your pension ?? I have my mediation next month.. I am unable to return to work due to my injury.. I figured I will get my settlement and start getting my pension..[/quote]
No. Dont count on a settlement unless you just take what they offer. As far as I have learned we don't have a disability pension. I can't touch my pension as I'm only 43. When I'm 62 I will get 2400 a month. At 55 I will get 540 a month. I was thinking their was a disability pension but when I talked to the hall their is no such thing.

onestoptogo

I was very sick about six years ago. I applied for Social Security disability and it was approved on the the first try without even getting a lawyer. Once I started Receiving Social Security I started collecting my pension. I not sure why they are telling you that no disability pension exists, because it does. I was told by SS that they would re-evaluate my case in 5 to 7 years.
The only requirement for me to receive my pension was that I must be collecting Social Security.
After a year, I started to feel better and went back to work. Social Security has a program where you can go back to work on a trial basis and see if you are able work. While doing this you get to keep collecting disability payments. I was able collect my pension, collect Social Security disability, and collect my UPS pay for an entire year. The most money I have ever made during a year.

Sent using BrownCafe App

balland chain

[quoballand chain, post: 1329032, member: 43608"]Were you able to get union disability on top of your pension ?? I have my mediation next month.. I am unable to return to work due to my injury.. I figured I will get my settlement and start getting my pension..
No. Dont count on a settlement unless you just take what they offer. As far as I have learned we don't have a disability pension. I can't touch my pension as I'm only 43. When I'm 62 I will get 2400 a month. At 55 I will get 540 a month. I was thinking their was a disability pension but when I talked to the hall their is no such thing.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.. My mediation is next month and my attorney says it will be substantial, but I will believe it when I see it.. I can not go back to work per my surgeon.. I have quite a few restrictions as well..I pray it goes well..I have my 25 years input planned on working longer, Owell

Rick61

I'm looking for anyone that may know anything about drawing a disability retirement from the union. I was forced out due to restrictions put on me from the doc. I had 18 years of service. 6 part time and 12 full time package. I didn't know if i could draw anything now at 43 or if I still needed to wait till I'm 62? Thanks for any help.
I'm sure you have your answers by now but I would think every multi-employer plan has a disability pension. There are differences but mine had a 10 year vesting minimum and a social security disability as qualifications for it. Good luck to you. There are a large number of UPS drivers disabled so don't feel bad. I'm one of them.